EMU 0404 USB - really the best?
Sep 5, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #227 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simply plug in the headphone to the DAC1, listen for say 30 seconds, unplug and plug into the EMU and listen for another 30 seconds. If you can take it one step further, have someone blindfold you and have them do the changes for you.

I did not consider to compare headphones I thought we were referring to A to D conversion and to speakers - the DAC1 is serious stuff for a headphone amp - I have not heard better - equal perhaps but not better.

Are you aware that the EMU 0404 output impedance is 22 ohms and has a mere 20 mW rated output -which is like 1 volt into a typical 60 ohm load of a high end headphone like the AKG K701.

The DAC1 with HPA 2 can go to +14 dbU into 60 ohms and still meet rated performance this is roughly 6 volts ...and the output impedance is 0.01 Ohm.

I don't need to compare headphones to know that the HPA2 inside the DAC1 is going to absolutely kill the EMU when driving the majority of headphones. Of course the rather low damping factor of around 3 of the EMU (with such high output impedance) may give the impression of better heavier bass (warm tubey sound ?) but that would be a significant alteration of the bass response which may help certain headphones only
popcorn.gif

Not trying to pick a fight here - just sticking to stated specifications.

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #229 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadorne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't need to compare headphones to know that the HPA2 inside the DAC1 is going to absolutely kill the EMU when driving the majority of headphones. Of course the rather low damping factor of around 3 of the EMU (with such high output impedance) may give the impression of better heavier bass (warm tubey sound ?) but that would be a significant alteration of the bass response which may help certain headphones only
popcorn.gif

Not trying to pick a fight here - just sticking to stated specifications.

Warm tubey sound? heavier bass? Are your talking about your EMU 0404 usb now? You listened to it through the headphone out just now and heard that? With what headphone?

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #230 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
being better than a Benchmark DAC1 is really not saying much at all. The only thing the DAC1 ever had going for it was the balanced output. If you don't need that there are many many DAC's with smoother fuller sound for much less $'s.

When did generating "smooth and full" become an objective of digital to analog conversion. It isn't a tone generator, it is a converter. It should be transparent. In a DAC, "smooth and full" is probably just colored.

P

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #231 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still, I've read through that test, and my conclusion was that the results were only valid for the group of people being tested. A different group of ears may have arrived at a different result. This is why many people question the usefulness of DBTs, as they can only prove what sounds subjectively better to a test group or individual. In my opinion, the usefulness of DBTs is discovering whether or not people can hear a difference at all between equipment, not necessarily determining that a piece of equipment inherently sounds better. And even in that case (for example, comparing MP3 and lossless formats), the result is only applicable to the test group or individual.

DBT has been used very successfully to test both audibility and preference. To get past the "groups of ears" problem is simply a matter of time and money. Run enough trials, test enough people, you'll get past the margin for error and reach pretty conclusive data. Most of the DBT we talk about on forums are informal and uncontrolled and you're right, of course, they only tell on person or one small group of people what they can hear or prefer, without the sighted influence of psychological bias. It's extremely valuable, but only for those directly involved.

For an inside view of more professional use of DBT, check out Sean Olive's blog: Audio Musings by Sean Olive

P

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #233 of 265
mm...the Asus Essence STX I've read on here is quite similar to the Emu 0404. So anyone here who has both want to compare the two?

Advantages of the Essence STX over the E-MU 0404 I can see is stable ASIO drivers, better for headphones, able to be opamp-rolled.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #234 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by magma79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a question which may see duhh to some
hoping for confirmation

if i will be using an external amp would their be any difference in the DAC of an emu 404 usb and an emu 404 PCI?

i ask since there is almost an 85$ price difference between the 2 versions
i plan to use PC as source and an external int amplifier to power studio monitors

would the PCI version make more sense /?

E-MU's site lists the PCI version as having the AKM AK4395 DAC; the AK4396 in the 0404 USB is a significant improvement, and this bears out in the specs. For some reason I thought the 0404 PCI eventually got the AK4396, but I remember hearing anecdotes that the 0404 USB sounded better. One advantage is that USB interfaces aren't tied to the motherboard/PSU power, so it's possible to avoid some EMI there.

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #235 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uhm, anyone able to answer my question whether the 0404 now works with vista?

Yes, you might also look at EMU site.

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #236 of 265
I got confused at first because the site only said it supports XP but found that they had updated drivers that made them work for vista just now. Thanks

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #237 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadorne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both.

I use the EMU 0404 USB occasionally to generate test tones/sweeps and record and power a measurement microphone - it is an excellent product good value and does what it does well.

However, I use the Benchmark DAC1 daily to listen to music via ATC 100's.

Enough said.
darthsmile.gif

I don't want to hijack the thread, but wonder if y'all could give me some pointers of other options between the $199 EMU and the $1K+ Benchmark?

I'm driving ATC SCM-20SLA active monitors. I was running an RME Digi96 PCI but just upgraded to vista and can only get it to work with certain apps - they are no longer supporting the card, so only ASIO will work. That's fine for things like mediamonkey, but not Netflix on demand, Pandora, etc. I just don't want the hassle of something else for low res apps, switching back and forth etc.

I certainly don't need to spend more if the EMU is 95+% for 20% cost. Just need clean 2 channel (balanced would be preferred). I swapped in my little HeadRoom BitHead just to see how close it was - not close by a mile, the RME was dramatically better even though it was internal. I must say I'm not sold on the internal/external thing either, yeah there is a lot of noise but it's all in the MHZ/GHZ range, and those are the cards that they record the stuff with in the first place, so it can't be soo bad.

I do respect Doug's ears, one of his techs taught me about horn speakers 15 years ago and Doug helped me tune up one of the prototypes. Killer system he has in his lab. But he also taught me to be a skeptic of the "wine and cheese" audiophile products. As you pointed out, lots of variances are caused by impedance problems.

Thanks!!

Mark

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #239 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkMDR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to hijack the thread, but wonder if y'all could give me some pointers of other options between the $199 EMU and the $1K+ Benchmark?

I'm driving ATC SCM-20SLA active monitors. I was running an RME Digi96 PCI but just upgraded to vista and can only get it to work with certain apps - they are no longer supporting the card, so only ASIO will work. That's fine for things like mediamonkey, but not Netflix on demand, Pandora, etc. I just don't want the hassle of something else for low res apps, switching back and forth etc.

I certainly don't need to spend more if the EMU is 95+% for 20% cost. Just need clean 2 channel (balanced would be preferred). I swapped in my little HeadRoom BitHead just to see how close it was - not close by a mile, the RME was dramatically better even though it was internal. I must say I'm not sold on the internal/external thing either, yeah there is a lot of noise but it's all in the MHZ/GHZ range, and those are the cards that they record the stuff with in the first place, so it can't be soo bad.

I do respect Doug's ears, one of his techs taught me about horn speakers 15 years ago and Doug helped me tune up one of the prototypes. Killer system he has in his lab. But he also taught me to be a skeptic of the "wine and cheese" audiophile products. As you pointed out, lots of variances are caused by impedance problems.

Thanks!!

Mark

As far as I know Doug uses uses custom Meitner for A/D and standard Benchmark DAC1s for D/A - all hooked up to his brother's proprietary tube EQ setup and ATC's all round. This DAC seems to be a good match with ATC (the clean thin sounding lower mids are just awesome with the forward ATC sound - great on male vocals - a very articulate sound with nothing artificial such as increased sibilance. Imaging is very tight - a narrow soundstage that some people don't like - I recall reading a report that the Lavry D10 throws a wider soundstage).

Have you considered used? You can sometimes find a used DAC1 on Audiogon for as little as $650 to $800, as everybody now wants the newer models. However, for a second hand DAC the price still holds up very well compared to most others. I guess it is similar to how a used Toyota holds up well in price compared to a used Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back