EMU 0404 USB - really the best?
Sep 12, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #241 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadorne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know Doug uses uses custom Meitner for A/D and standard Benchmark DAC1s for D/A - all hooked up to his brother's proprietary tube EQ setup and ATC's all round. This DAC seems to be a good match with ATC (the clean thin sounding lower mids are just awesome with the forward ATC sound - great on male vocals - a very articulate sound with nothing artificial such as increased sibilance. Imaging is very tight - a narrow soundstage that some people don't like - I recall reading a report that the Lavry D10 throws a wider soundstage).

I spent much of my early life around music instruments, so am very picky about dynamics and natural textures of acoustic instruments, voices. Imaging, soundstage, can be sacrificed if need be. But bloom anywhere drives me nuts, have heard it in lots of good equipment when the components didn't play well, part of why I'm a minimalist - if I didn't have the ATCs might look at the new DSP powered speakers with digital input. As much as I like my ATCs, I loved loved loved the Mastering Labs old monitors, 2 JBL or Altec horns (I forget now) on top with something like 15"ers for bass and mid bass. tweaked to high heaven. I can still remember Sax playing a cut that had someone with a gourd in the background, it sounded so...organic with so much detail and texture. We remember the weirdest stuff. One of the guys who worked on his tweak tube stuff lived up near fresno, had this set up that was the closest thing to live I've every heard on a playback system, you could be on the front porch and swear there was a grand piano or Harry James in the house, the dynamics were just stunning.

Sorry for all the rambling. I've been away from audio for a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadorne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered used? You can sometimes find a used DAC1 on Audiogon for as little as $650 to $800, as everybody now wants the newer models. However, for a second hand DAC the price still holds up very well compared to most others. I guess it is similar to how a used Toyota holds up well in price compared to a used Ford.

Thanks for the reminder of the used market. I'm a little gun shy with older gear given the issue I just went through with not being able to get drivers for my RME pci card. My only concern with the DAC1 is it's the darling du jour and when the next wunderkind comes out, it'll be mud and the value will tumble....and will it be supported in Windows 9. I guess I should decide if my concern is long term support or resale value. After being out of the audio market for 10-15 years to come back and hear people tweaking USB cables, oh brother, things never change.

After a brief survey it looks like the audition group is something like DAC1 (spdif or USB), Apogee mini-dac (spdif or firewire), RME 9632 internal PCI, Cambridge DACMagic, EMU 0404.

Would love to hear from anyone who's A/B'ed any of these. Many thanks to all for the input, it's very helpful.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #242 of 265
I have read this entire thread but couldnt find an answer.

Could someone explain how this functions as a standalone DAC, not hooked to a computer? I thought I read something about this working only at 44.1khz, but it wasn't very specific.

If I am not hooked up to a computer and send in 24/96 or 24/192 over optical, will this not get sound?

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #244 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by jruser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read this entire thread but couldnt find an answer.

Could someone explain how this functions as a standalone DAC, not hooked to a computer? I thought I read something about this working only at 44.1khz, but it wasn't very specific.

If I am not hooked up to a computer and send in 24/96 or 24/192 over optical, will this not get sound?

What source are you using that will send unencrypted 24/96 or 24/192 over optical?

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #245 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What source are you using that will send unencrypted 24/96 or 24/192 over optical?

It was a hypothetical question. I have been considering buying this to use as a stanalone DAC, but can't find any specific information about how it works, other than that it is possible.

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #246 of 265
Quote:

It was a hypothetical question. I have been considering buying this to use as a stanalone DAC, but can't find any specific information about how it works, other than that it is possible.

DAC means digital to analog converter, which means you need to first have a digital source (the 0404 usb takes USB, TOSLINK, and coaxial). The 0404 can be a stand alone (without computer) when u have a toslink/coaxial source, such as a cd/dvd player. It can also be a standalone preamp for mics.

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #247 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAC means digital to analog converter, which means you need to first have a digital source (the 0404 usb takes USB, TOSLINK, and coaxial). The 0404 can be a stand alone (without computer) when u have a toslink/coaxial source, such as a cd/dvd player. It can also be a standalone preamp for mics.

I know what a DAC is. I am wondering how this works when using a SPDIF source, not attached to a computer. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that this can only do 44.1khz if not connected via USB, and I was hoping an owner of this device woudld expand on this as nobody has been very descriptive on how it actually works as a standalone DAC.

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #250 of 265
Quote:

I know what a DAC is. I am wondering how this works when using a SPDIF source, not attached to a computer. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that this can only do 44.1khz if not connected via USB, and I was hoping an owner of this device woudld expand on this as nobody has been very descriptive on how it actually works as a standalone DAC.

I think ure confusing urself buddy. As explained, CD/DVD Player that has SPDIF(out) can connect to the SPDIF(in) of the EMU, and EMU outputs that signal as analog to your speakers/headphones. Which part dont u understand?

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #251 of 265
Let's say jruser has a standalone player like a modified Oppo that can send unencrypted high-res signals. His question is, when it's being used as a standalone DAC, does the 0404 USB downsample everything to 44.1 kHz?

My guess is no, that it will correctly change the sample rate from its default 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz. I have a hunch that it now defaults to 44.1 kHz because some digital sources are not good about sending clocking information, or that somehow it's possible to get 'stuck' at a higher sample rate than you'd want to use with a CD player, for example.

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #252 of 265
Quick question to 0404 usb owners: Can you select and use the microphone inputs on the 0404 to use in programs like ventrilo or skype?

another question anyone using the 0404 usb running windows 7 64 bit? Is there any problems with it?

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #253 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question to 0404 usb owners: Can you select and use the microphone inputs on the 0404 to use in programs like ventrilo or skype?

another question anyone using the 0404 usb running windows 7 64 bit? Is there any problems with it?

Yes, just treat it as a regular soundcard.

I'm using the emu on Windows 7 32-bit without any problems, so 64-bit shouldnt be any issue.

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #254 of 265
Just to confirm, is the only way to use it as a standalone DAC is to use SPDIF (coaxial or optical)?

Is USB is not possible or am I missing something here? I can still change the volume through my mac as well as through the "main output" dial on the unit itself.

Screen+shot+2009-12-15+at+1.03.30+AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back