emu 0404 is here
Jul 12, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #46 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by richx
Oh so the rolloff is still there? How bad is it when measured with "not-RMAA"? Thanks for showing/telling because I'm also considering the ESI Juli@ which doesn't have the rolloff problem.

Edit: What would the Xilinx chip be used for huh?
tongue.gif

why are you calling that rolloff a problem? it is a design decision, half of the rollof is on output and half on input, when you do loopback on the same card it sums to some half dB at 20kHz which isn't noticable at all.. they are probably using slower filters like Bessel that have constant group delay and minimal phase shift but not that steep attenuation, that's why it starts falling rather early but goes down rather long up to the stopband, maybe that's the reason for the card to sound that good, using Bessel instead of Butterworth filters..

Xilinx is FPGA or CPLD chip, that means programable logic array, used mostly for signal routing and such, you can find it on most modern cards today.. ADC and DAC seems to be connected to that chip so I suppose it's kind of logic array..

Jul 12, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #47 of 100
Thanks for giving me that bit about Bassel vs. Butterworth filters - I had the idea that these filtering were done in the digital domain, and hence you can get near-perfect performance? Why would the ADC/DACs need to be routed through another chip? I thought the EMU10k2 was well capable of handling a few of those things?

Pardon the n00b-ness
eggosmile.gif

Jul 13, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #48 of 100
hi ian,
what's your argument for using a Cat6 cable for your 1820M instead of the supplied Cat5e? I've read that using a Cat6 cable with Cat5e connectors only results in Cat5e performance.
Cat6 cables are cheap, so if you can explain what difference this would make, i'm all ears.
thanks.

Jul 14, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #51 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by SportaJoe
ya know lan a capitol L would help out
tongue.gif

tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by cebec
what's your argument for using a Cat6 cable for your 1820M instead of the supplied Cat5e?

I don't really have an argument. I believe in trying things out just for the hell of it
biggrin.gif
. so I tried different network kcables out, CAT5, 5E, and 6 and just so happened to like the 6 more. There's a lot of different cables out there so your results may still vary.

Jul 14, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #52 of 100
Would you recommend the emu0404 as an upgrade over the av710 for use as optical transport with an external dac (in this case, Audio Alchemy DDE v1.1 with upgraded power supply)?

Jul 14, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #53 of 100
Yes the 0404 would be an upgrade.

If you do get it, let us know how it compares to your external DAC.

Jul 14, 2004 at 9:01 AM Post #54 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
Would you recommend the emu0404 as an upgrade over the av710 for use as optical transport with an external dac (in this case, Audio Alchemy DDE v1.1 with upgraded power supply)?

If you do buy the 0404 you may consider having it shipped directly to lan for comparision to the 1212m and then have him ship it to you; I'm sure you'd be interested to know how well of an investment it is.

Jul 14, 2004 at 2:39 PM Post #55 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
If you do buy the 0404 you may consider having it shipped directly to lan for comparision to the 1212m and then have him ship it to you; I'm sure you'd be interested to know how well of an investment it is.

confused.gif
I already have the 0404 and I don't have a 1212m (yet). Are you confused what I have?
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #56 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
confused.gif
I already have the 0404 and I don't have a 1212m (yet). Are you confused what I have?
tongue.gif

lol, oops. That's what I get for posting at 4 in the morning.

Jul 15, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #58 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Round 8: emu 0404 coax digital out vs. emu 0404 optical digital out

Both digital outs went to Panasonic XR25 digital amp and my Magnepan speakers. The clear winner was the optical output. The highs were crisper, bass tighter, overall imaging better.

How can Toslink increase the quality of the 1's and 0's over Coax

Jul 15, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #59 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter
How can Toslink increase the quality of the 1's and 0's over Coax

The computer's ground is noisy and that isn't a degrading factor via the optical cable. Also some coax interfaces on some soundcards are out of spec which further increases jitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back