emu 0404 is here
Jul 10, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #31 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by fguo79
From the photo, I notice E-MU0404 using AK4395 DAC which is the top product from AKM. It is supposed to support 24/192, then why E-MU0404 only
give out 24/96. Any comments?

May be E-MU want to position this card a lower end product than 1212m?
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #32 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by richx
Whoa! That's really high-resolution picture indeed! Many thanks to Ian for providing me with a new wallpaper!
eggosmile.gif

It's Lan
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fguo79
From the photo, I notice E-MU0404 using AK4395 DAC which is the top product from AKM. It is supposed to support 24/192, then why E-MU0404 only
give out 24/96. Any comments?

Yes they cut some features out like 192khz, ADAT, and balanced I/O. It's a "cheaper" product afterall. I don't really see lack of 192khz being that much of a loss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Well it would be the "same environment" regardless. But do we have anyone willing to ship lan their 1212m for comparision? A lot of us have been holding back on making another soundcard purchase because of the 0404.

Let me rephrase, it's the same testing conditions.

Jul 11, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #33 of 100
Lan = my bad :lol: The specifications of the AK4395 is pretty good as well - gets me worked up this card! Please someone lend lan a stock EMU1212 so that he can tell everyone how it sounds like against the EMU0404!

balanced I/O is a good idea, but I don't think I can ever afford an amp that has balanced inputs ...
eggosmile.gif
I think ADAT is also reserved for professional needs? If that's the case, then this would make a great consumer card!

BTW, what's with the rolloff in the analog outputs of the EMU1212/1820, as seen in the RMAA charts at digit-life.com?

Jul 11, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #34 of 100
Quote:

I think ADAT is also reserved for professional needs? If that's the case, then this would make a great consumer card!

BTW, what's with the rolloff in the analog outputs of the EMU1212/1820, as seen in the RMAA charts at digit-life.com?

They measured with another more professional device not RMAA and there wasn't as much rolloff.

ADAT sounds better to me from my RME to emu 1820m compared to configuring the optical as SPDIF. But that's a limited case scenario.

I wouldn't call this a great consumer card. The driver/interface has a steep learning curve and is still more like for the prosumer.

Jul 11, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #35 of 100
Does anyone know of a place to get the 0404 for less than $100 shipped?

Jul 11, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #36 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80
Does anyone know of a place to get the 0404 for less than $100 shipped?

It looks like Guitar Center has it, you can probably get it from them for $75 since they have it listed at $149.99 and will usually go to half of their list. It's hard to say, though, you might be able to get them down into the $60 range.

Jul 11, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #37 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
here's a 3+ MB JPEG

thanks, great work
wink.gif
would you mind stripping off those E-MU E-DSP stickers? I wonder what's that smaller chip on top, my guess is some Xilinx.. also wonder why so many opamps related to the DAC, there are at least two dual opamps there, might be balanced up to that point and summed on the opamp near the analog connector or might be filter + buffer for each channel.. is that opamp near the D-SUB related to output or input? also try bridging those elyt caps in the signal way if those are what I think they are
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #39 of 100
you're right, there's just one oscillator, this card *could* be 48/96kHz only
eek.gif
or there's kind of PLL generating whatever freq needed (I hope)..

Jul 11, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #40 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
would you mind stripping off those E-MU E-DSP stickers? I wonder what's that smaller chip on top, my guess is some Xilinx.. also wonder why so many opamps related to the DAC, there are at least two dual opamps there, might be balanced up to that point and summed on the opamp near the analog connector or might be filter + buffer for each channel.. is that opamp near the D-SUB related to output or input? also try bridging those elyt caps in the signal way if those are what I think they are
biggrin.gif

The DSP stickers are kind of sticky
tongue.gif
I'm leaving the card in for a while to burnin. I really don't know if that opamp near the Dsub is for input or outpt. iit is closer to ouput stuff though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexm
ehm, it's just me or the clock circuit is different from that in 1212m/1820m ?

great scan lan, thx

The clock stuff is different but it doesn't affect quality that much.

It's a digital photo not a scan
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #41 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
you're right, there's just one oscillator

that was my impression, still I think it's safe to assume it doesn't resample, taking into consideration listening results by Lan and the words of an Emu rep. who denied any resampling in a 1212/1820 unofficial forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
It's a digital photo not a scan
wink.gif

ops, I meant photo (brain reboot incoming, I guess
3000smile.gif
)

Jul 11, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #42 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexm
that was my impression, still I think it's safe to assume it doesn't resample, taking into consideration listening results by Lan and the words of an Emu rep. who denied any resampling in a 1212/1820 unofficial forum.

I will test this later with DTS WAV file.

Jul 12, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #43 of 100
Oh so the rolloff is still there? How bad is it when measured with "not-RMAA"? Thanks for showing/telling because I'm also considering the ESI Juli@ which doesn't have the rolloff problem.

My my EMU sticker on top of the EMU10k2? That's gonna get warm and peel off some day eh?
eggosmile.gif
Yeah I'd also like to know how much Guitar Centre can get an EMU0404 for - perhaps I'd get Zemo to ship one to me ...

Edit: What would the Xilinx chip be used for huh?
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #44 of 100
Quote:

Oh so the rolloff is still there? How bad is it when measured with "not-RMAA"? Thanks for showing/telling because I'm also considering the ESI Juli@ which doesn't have the rolloff problem.

Edit: What would the Xilinx chip be used for huh?
tongue.gif

Rolloff that small is not even noticible. Did you read the rest of the digit-life article?

"We also have results for 1820M, they are published in the RMAA forum. There is the opinion that self-made measurements are absolutely useless and that professional equipment is necessary for tests. To refute this, we're giving tou RMMA test results of a serial E-MU 1820M that were received using Audio Precision 2, a professional measuring station (+4dBu, balance cables):

Test 1820M Line 1/2 AD/DA Loopback RMAA
Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB: +0.03, -0.21
Noise level, dB (A): -118.7
Dynamic range, dB (A): 118.5
THD, %: 0.0007
IMD, %: 0.0011
Stereo crosstalk, dB: -118.4

Test 1820M Line 1/2 AD Audio Precision 2
Frequency response (from 20 Hz to 20 kHz), dB: +0.01, -0.05
Noise level, dB (A): -120
Dynamic range, dB (A): 120
THD, %: 0.0003
Stereo crosstalk, dB: -119

As we can see, the results in Noise level and Dynamic range have just a 1.3-1.5dB difference (1 percent). We deem our precision quite appropriate considering that the use of professional equipment costs tens of thousands of US dollars while our expenses have been minimal (in the case of RMMA). Certainly, you won't receive passport data the same way, but one can be quite able to check the announced figures."

Jul 12, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #45 of 100
Dammit... looks like I need to put my AP2496 on eBay before the resale value drops considerably...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back