emu 0404 is here
Jul 7, 2004 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
I'll probably go pick one up later. It should start to be available at most stores now. Just giving you guys a heads up.

Jul 7, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 100
Give is some impressions when you get yours ok?
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 100
and so the adventure begins
biggrin.gif

0404_box.jpg

Jul 7, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 100
Yeah I'd like to know how it compares to the 1212m

Jul 8, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 100
I have 1820m not 1212m and mine is also modded a bit so it's probably not going to compare as well. We shall see
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not really into internal soundcards and breakout cables though. I'm really wondering how the digital out of this thing is. I can't put both emu's in one computer as that might be driver madness so I will install it into another P4.

It's the 22" display
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 100
I'm using my special Grados. They are terminated in RCA and allow me to plug them directly into sources. This allows me to really hear things clearly as it gets since it's direct from the source.

Round 1: emu 0404 analog out (1/4" TS -> RCA convertor) vs. M-Audio Revo analog out (1/8 -> RCA convertor)

I listened to the Revo first. I've never listened to it before with a headphone directly hooked up to it. This was not a good experience. The sound was blurrier than I am used to and the bass was bloated. I would be scared of PC audio if I heard this.

The 0404 was much better in all aspects. Everything was clearer and more layered. The bass was tighter and punchier. The End for Revo
biggrin.gif
It was knocked out and the 0404 wasn't even burned in.

Round 2: emu 0404 analog out vs. emu 1820m (modded and power conditioned)

I listened to 0404 first. Sounds good. I could be happy with this at this budget. I recall from my previous cards, Audiophile 24/96, Audiophile USB, I didn't feel this excited with my tunes. There's a lack of "character" in some instruments though. I find this typical of a "lesser" setups so I'm not surprised. Maybe it will improve through burnin.

Going to my 1820m. Everything is better as in more refined. No contest here either.

Going back to 0404. I realize there's something in the treble which disturbs me. It may settle down after burnin. We shall see.

Round 3: emu 0404 analog out vs. RME PST analog out

I listened to the RME PST first. There's something about the sound which isn't right. It makes me feel rather closed in / claustrophobic. I can probably attribute this to the soundstage width wasn't very good.

Going back to the emu 0404, the soundstage was back into something more believable. Dynamics was a bit better. Not that noticible unless you were looking. Detail was better and you could tell easily.

Digital tests. I will be using Stereovox HDXV coax going to modded ART DI/O and Sonicwave glass toslink going to Panasonic XR25.

It's break time now. I gotta AC the room for a bit and save what I got so far.

Round 4: emu 0404 vs. ART DI/O (modded MENSA by BolderCables with their power supply, and my power cable)

I first tried the DI/O hooked up coax to 0404. The DI/O exhibited it's general quality of powerful bass and a smooth sound. It's not as detailed as my 1820m and it was always obvious in the treble. I hooked it up to the same strip as the computers which I don't recommend and the performance was indeed missing something. So I moved it to my balanced power supply and it did increase in quality so here it shall remain. My only point here is if you want to get better performance out of your external DAC, don't leave it unconditioned "near" the computer's noisey power.

Going to the 0404, seems not as smooth but the detail is back. emu seems a bit more neutral. DI/O's bass seems to be a bit more pronounced. Now whether this is better is a matter of preference and system synergy. On my K1000 system, I do appreciate the extra bass of the DI/O and it's smoothness. I also need maximum detail in my audio editing tasks so ultimately neither of these ultimately is my answer.

I will test DI/O in extenal sync mode which is slaving it to the transport and in x2 mode which is 88.2khz internal clock. I've always preferred the internal clock mode and double the sampling rate. You can still hear the differences in transport quality though.

In general it's harder to tell the difference between digital outputs but they are still there. The differences are probably system specific like our power supplies, mobos, digital cable, DACs, receivers etc. are all different.

Round 5: emu 0404 coax digital out vs. M-Audio Revo coax digital out.

Revo is clearly worst. From most noticible difference to least, the treble has become harsh, bass is a little less defined, soundstage is a teeny bit more collapsed. Lesser quality digital outs makes things a bit unpleasant. A DAC which is more immune to incoming jitter maybe not exhibit much misfortune.

Round 6: emu 0404 coax digital out vs. emu 1010 (1212m, 1820, 1820m's digital card) coax digital out.

The modded 1010 is more refined and is easily discernable compared to the 0404.

Round 7: emu 0404 coax digital out vs. RME PST coax digital out.

The RME PST sounded rather flat and had a bit less detail. It's a bit hard to tell as it wasn't offensive like the Revo though. The 0404's digital out was more involving to listen to.

Round 8: emu 0404 coax digital out vs. emu 0404 optical digital out

Both digital outs went to Panasonic XR25 digital amp and my Magnepan speakers. The clear winner was the optical output. The highs were crisper, bass tighter, overall imaging better.

Round 9: emu 0404 optical digital out vs. M-Audio Revo coax digital out.

Revo is at a disadvantage since it has a coax only output. Interestingly, the sound is worst on this coax but different than it was on the 0404's coax. The Revo's digital ouput is also crisp, but seemingly a little less detailed but the highs are harsh again.

Round 10: emu 0404 optical digital out vs. emu 1010 (1212m, 1820, 1820m's digital card) optical digital out.

You can tell the emu's are related to each other as they have a similar sound presentation. The modded 1010 is still clearly more refined.

Round 11: emu 0404 optical digital out vs. RME PST optical digital out.

The sound is a bit close. The RME has this treble attack which is more pronounced. I think this may be annoying or harsh to some. RME's detail is a little bit less.

Well that's it for sound quality now.

0404 and 1212m comparision here:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80439

Jul 8, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 100
Mods are the only ones that can move a thread there.

Nice synopsis so far, Lan. Straight and to the point, I like.

What's that little black box coming out of the break out cables in the box pic? Optical I/O ?

Have you compared how the digital output of the 0404 compares to the RME and 1820m?

-Ed

Jul 8, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #10 of 100
Yes that little black box is the optical I/O. I will test that on my receiver and speakers tomorrow. The neighbors won't like that at night haha. I will stick with coax for right now.

Jul 8, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #12 of 100
I think I have this pair of 1/4 -> RCA cheap HOSA cable somewhere. If I find it I can do RMAA. They added a patchmix DSP session made just for doing RMAA. Although I prefer using my own cables, I need another 1/4" to RCA adaptor which I don't have. The ADC is limiting the results here. You'd really need to use a better ADC to see what's going on with the DAC. My 1820m doesn't have the ADC board installed.

Jul 8, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 100
So it sounds like the 0404 is a good middle of the road solution for those who want more than the Chaintech has to offer, but can't afford or don't want to sacrifice the extra PCI slot for the 1212M.

lan, what mods have you done to your other EMU's? I know you mentioned the power conditioning before, and something about blackgates...

Jul 8, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 100
lan, could you provide us with hi-res photos of the card? thx for all..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back