Empirical Audio Benchmark DAC-1 Turbo Mod - opinions?
Aug 4, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #16 of 94
I wouldn't waste so much money on those Bybee thingies.

mod_open.jpg

I didn't see anything about upgrading the regulators, let alone any of the SMD caps.

-Ed

Aug 4, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #17 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I wouldn't waste so much money on those Bybee thingies.

mod_open.jpg

I didn't see anything about upgrading the regulators, let alone any of the SMD caps.

-Ed

That's just the Reflection Audio mods. Steve does some very extensive mods, including replacing all voltage regulators, etc.

I wish there were some nice speaker system at the SoCal meet b/c IME these modded equipments' difference really comes through via speakers, especially soundstaging. Looks like there'll be a stock DAC1, and it would be interesting to compare the two.

Aug 5, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #18 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
... Looks like there'll be a stock DAC1, and it would be interesting to compare the two.

I wonder if you folks would consider setting up the DAC1s for a blind evaluation at the show.

Should be simple to implement - the only requirement for a truly blind test is that nobody participating in the meet have any contact with someone who knows which unit is which. I'd suggest the two owners note the serial numbers of their units and, with no one else present, set them together out of view. Then a third party could retrieve them and set them up in the listening area.

It would be a little more complicated if the modder has badged his unit or there are identifying scratches, mangled screws, etc. Then I'd recommend asking someone who's not an attending Head-Fi'er and won't be around for the meet to cover the appropriate areas on both units with electrical tape - after the owners have dropped them off and before the setter-upper retrieves them.

I doubt my old research methods prof would've approved this design but, if it's carried out in good faith by the participants, the reported comparisons would would carry a lot more weight than the usual sighted evaluations - at least to us skeptical/objectivist types. Heck, I might even be convinced to mod my DAC1 based on the results.

At any rate... I think it would be a darned interesting experiment and hope you guys will at least consider it.

Thanks,
Beau

Aug 5, 2005 at 7:34 AM Post #19 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
That's just the Reflection Audio mods. Steve does some very extensive mods, including replacing all voltage regulators, etc.

I wish there were some nice speaker system at the SoCal meet b/c IME these modded equipments' difference really comes through via speakers, especially soundstaging. Looks like there'll be a stock DAC1, and it would be interesting to compare the two.

Since the Benchmark DAC1's have built in headphone amps, it will be very very easy to do a direct A/B comparison. I will be bringing my headphone amp switchbox, as will Ray Samuels.

-Ed

Aug 5, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #20 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauregard
I wonder if you folks would consider setting up the DAC1s for a blind evaluation at the show.

Should be simple to implement - the only requirement for a truly blind test is that nobody participating in the meet have any contact with someone who knows which unit is which. I'd suggest the two owners note the serial numbers of their units and, with no one else present, set them together out of view. Then a third party could retrieve them and set them up in the listening area.

It would be a little more complicated if the modder has badged his unit or there are identifying scratches, mangled screws, etc. Then I'd recommend asking someone who's not an attending Head-Fi'er and won't be around for the meet to cover the appropriate areas on both units with electrical tape - after the owners have dropped them off and before the setter-upper retrieves them.

I doubt my old research methods prof would've approved this design but, if it's carried out in good faith by the participants, the reported comparisons would would carry a lot more weight than the usual sighted evaluations - at least to us skeptical/objectivist types. Heck, I might even be convinced to mod my DAC1 based on the results.

At any rate... I think it would be a darned interesting experiment and hope you guys will at least consider it.

Thanks,
Beau

Yeah I have no problem doing this with the TurboModded one I'll be bringing.

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #21 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianknewbie
Yeah I have no problem doing this with the TurboModded one I'll be bringing.

Great!! I appreciate the extra trouble it will involve - and very much look forward to reading the meet impressions.

Thanks much,
Beau

Aug 6, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #25 of 94
I predict the change of any of the modded units to be dramatic.

Be warned though, you might possibly not be able to back to stock DAC1.

Aug 6, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #26 of 94
Steve at Empirical is the real deal. I'm betting on dramatic improvements as well. Also I think everyone will be floored by the Off Ramp Turbo.

Aug 6, 2005 at 12:37 PM Post #28 of 94
You dont need anything but a screwdriver. If Audio Asylum's review of this mod is honest, then this modded unit should sound ALOT better if it compares to 6000-10000USD sources. We'll see
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #29 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by fogia.4
You dont need anything but a screwdriver. If Audio Asylum's review of this mod is honest, then this modded unit should sound ALOT better if it compares to 6000-10000USD sources. We'll see
smily_headphones1.gif

10k sources huh?

hmmm... I smell bs?

: ]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back