Empirical Audio Benchmark DAC-1 Turbo Mod - opinions?
Aug 6, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #31 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
10k sources huh?

hmmm... I smell bs?

: ]

Well, it all depends on which 10K source, doesn't it? It's also a shame yet true that the top few contenders for SOTA are actually way more than 10K.

Wish we could have an actual decent speaker setup at the meet, as certain things are more difficult to evaluate fully via headphones.

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #32 of 94
My Turbomodded DAC1 arrived yesterday evening. I have only spent about an hour with it, so these are very initial impressions only. I also have an un-modded DAC1 that I have been using while my other was being modded by Steve, so the sound of the un-modded unit is fresh in my mind. Also, please note that I'm using an unmodded Marantz cd5400 as a transport. Using the RCA outs to my MPX3, there was an immediate obvious improvement in overall sound. The two most noticable areas were an increase in level of detail, especially in the mids and highs as well as a markedly increased sense of 'air' around the notes. The combination of these two factors really takes the sound of my setup to a whole new level. I once again found myself dragging out discs I haven't played in a while and hearing things that I had not heard before. And this is with no burn-in time on the unit as well as using the unbalanced RCA outs. Steve says the XLR outs are even better, so I can't wait to try those! Overall, I've only listened for a short time but my initial impression is very positive and I already feel that the upgrades were worth it. I listened to my unmodded DAC1 before plugging in the modded one, and there is definitely quite a difference! Can't wait to get some more time on this baby!

Aug 17, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #33 of 94
Reports from CES where Empirical Audio demonstrated some of their products:
Quote:

Empirical Audio demonstrated a Perpetual Tech DAC P3a and a Mark Levinson preamplifier with and without mods. They were also showing their Off-ramp interface and a Sony DVPS 770 modded and unmodded. Fun to go back and forth and hear what the modded stuff can do over the stock—not even close. Way to go Steve!

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue17/ces05dc9.htm

Aug 23, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #34 of 94
As a follow-up to my above post, I have now spent a fair amount of time with my modded DAC1. I have also spent a couple of hours A/B'ing the unmodded DAC1 with the modded DAC1. My impressions thus far are as follows:

I feel that my initial impressions were quite accurate. The level of detail and sense of air provided by the modded unit are definitely unmatched by the stock version. At first, I begain to wonder if there was a bit too much upper octave information available. But after extended listening as well as hearing some live music this weekend, I can confidently state that the modded unit comes much, much closer to providing a reproduction of the live experience than the stock unit. The additional upper end sound that is available only adds to the experience without being sibilant or bright. It simply sounds closer to what music sounds like when it's being played live - right in front of you.

Another thing I noted, especially while A/B'ing the units was that, I found myself lingering on the EA turbomod unit. When I would switch back to the stock DAC, I found it to be a tad stale and boring...in comparison. When I would switch over to the EA unit, I became involved in the music much more quickly and forgot about the analysis than when I was listening to the stock DAC1.

Overall, I am very pleased with my upgrade and find it hard to go back to listening to the stock unit. Hope this helps anyone considering upgrading their DAC1. Also, I will post again once I have had an opportunity to try out the XLR outputs. The significant increase in sound quality has me quite curious as to what Steve can do with a transport. This is on my short list of upcoming upgrades.

Aug 23, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #35 of 94
Did you have the Superclock 3 upgrade?

Listening to Brianknewbie's Modded DAC1 (did not have Superclock 3) compared to a stock one, there was little to no difference between the A/B'ing with a headphone switchbox with both the DAC1's headphone outputs.

-Ed

Aug 23, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #36 of 94
Didn't Steve say that the benefits would only be apparent through the RCA or XLR outputs, and not the built-in headamp?

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #37 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by OracleGuy
Didn't Steve say that the benefits would only be apparent through the RCA or XLR outputs, and not the built-in headamp?

Yes, the headphone amp was not modded on Brian's DAC-1. Even if it was, it would not sound as good as the XLR or RCA outs.

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #38 of 94
lol, so basically you guys tested a stock unit vs a stock unit. Maybe you should give it another go
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #39 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Did you have the Superclock 3 upgrade?

Listening to Brianknewbie's Modded DAC1 (did not have Superclock 3) compared to a stock one, there was little to no difference between the A/B'ing with a headphone switchbox with both the DAC1's headphone outputs.

-Ed

Woodcans unit is loaded, including the Superturboclock3 and headphone mods.

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #40 of 94
I would recommend it. There is no question there is a significant difference (at least in my system). And yes, mine has the superturboclock3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jashugan
lol, so basically you guys tested a stock unit vs a stock unit. Maybe you should give it another go
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #41 of 94
Yep, its very interesting, my next thousand bucks will certainly go for that mod...
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #42 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jashugan
biggrin.gif

I don't think so. Unless I'm mistaken, what's being implied is that since headphone output was not modded, the differences in DAC sections could not be appreciated as well b/c of the (possible) bottleneck of headphone output performance. But since the DAC section was modded, the signal reaching the stock headphone section should have been 'better' than stock DAC's output to headphone section.

Also, a couple of us did do A-B comparison using the RCA output jacks of stock and modded DAC1 into Gilmore Balanced Reference Amp. I myself heard more improvement in this setup than headphone out..

Aug 24, 2005 at 11:45 AM Post #44 of 94
Hmm ok, what would you say were the sonic improvements to you crazyfrenchman? You seem to have somewhat the same gear as me so your opinion would help me make a choice.

Aug 24, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #45 of 94
I have not A/B'ed the headphone outs yet. Once I get a chance I will post my results. But note that I had my headphone jack modded.

Crazyfrenchman - with what equipment did you compare the two?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
I don't think so. Unless I'm mistaken, what's being implied is that since headphone output was not modded, the differences in DAC sections could not be appreciated as well b/c of the (possible) bottleneck of headphone output performance. But since the DAC section was modded, the signal reaching the stock headphone section should have been 'better' than stock DAC's output to headphone section.

Also, a couple of us did do A-B comparison using the RCA output jacks of stock and modded DAC1 into Gilmore Balanced Reference Amp. I myself heard more improvement in this setup than headphone out..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back