Empirical Audio Benchmark DAC-1 Turbo Mod - opinions?
Aug 31, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #76 of 94
My digicam is a bit old, but I'll see what I can do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blorton
Can I ask one big favor of the person(s) with the modded DAC-1?

How about a good hi-rez pic of the insides? It's awful hard to qualify what's been done based on the low-res fuzzy thing floating around now.

Thanks!
Dan

Sep 1, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #77 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauregard
Context? I can't imagine any context in which Ray Samuels or Tyll Hertsens or Jan Meier would link to such a blatantly self-serving post.

It's obvious that you and I have very different standards for judging the internet behavior of people who'd like us to try their products.

Perhaps, or perhaps I just don't see the need to be so nasty, especially when the link was provided regarding the issue of whether the mods under discussion were audible via speakers and not headphones, and related technical issues and observations. But perhaps you have some other agenda I'm not aware of.

Sep 1, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #78 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodcans
My digicam is a bit old, but I'll see what I can do.

Great! I'd sure appreciate that, as would others.

Cheers!
Dan

Sep 1, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #79 of 94
Ok, here is my attempt at posting my pics. I'll edit as needed if this doesn't work well.

Front View:

EA DAC1
Stock DAC1

Rear View:

EA DAC1
Stock DAC1

Right Side View:

EA DAC1
Stock DAC1

Left Side View

EA DAC1
Stock DAC1

Rear Panel (note the much cooler Vampire RCA outs!):

EA DAC1
Stock DAC1

And finally, a coupla shots of the comparison setup:

Front
Rear

Woodcans.

PS At least if there's not an audible difference, there sure is a visible one
very_evil_smiley.gif
!

Sep 1, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #80 of 94
Great pics! Thanks very much for doing those. Lots and lots of neat parts in the upgrades. I'm studying them now and hopefully others will chime in on the changes as well.

Thanks again!
Dan

Sep 1, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #81 of 94
Nice work with the comparison pics. I have a sneaking suspicion that the clock upgrade could have a lot to do with the bettered sound, since the jitter reduction that Benchmark talks so much about all comes down to be re-clocked by that little tin can. If that clock signal is more pure, it could make all the difference to providing that last degree of micro-detail, by mire accurately placing each data word.

Sep 1, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #82 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
Perhaps, or perhaps I just don't see the need to be so nasty, especially when the link was provided regarding the issue of whether the mods under discussion were audible via speakers and not headphones, and related technical issues and observations. But perhaps you have some other agenda I'm not aware of.

Nasty?? I expressed my opinion about an internet practice that I find offensive with the simple statement of fact that it contravenes the norms established by other manufacturers who participate in, and benefit from, Head-Fi.

You see, I don't much care for the crass hucksterism that's typical of other audio forums. Blatant self-promotion, insipid trolling for customers, conflation of sales pitch with "expertise" and advice, dubious posts and posters. Thanks to Jude and the integrity of the MoTs who form the commercial backbone of Head-Fi, this place is remarkably free of this garbage. And I'd like it to stay that way.

I hope I've made my "agenda" crystal clear. So go piss up a rope. I don't much like having my integrity questioned, even in the quasi-real world of an internet forum.

Sep 2, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #83 of 94
In an attempt to get this thread back on track...thanks for the compliment on the pics - they turned out much better than I thought my 6 year old camera would allow. I would love to hear my DAC compared to briank's to hear the difference the clock upgrade makes. I am also very interested in how much difference a transport upgrade would make. After having let my modded dac break in for even longer, it just keeps getting better. While I was listening to the stock unit while taking the top off of the EA dac1, I just couldn't wait to plug the modded unit back in and get back to the overall better sound. One comment I have is that I don't think the mods changed the overall sound signature of the unit per say - I simply think that it has taken what was good already and just made it much better.

I will hopefully have some time over the next week to compare headphone outputs b/n the two units. Will post impressions when I have them.

Woodcans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Nice work with the comparison pics. I have a sneaking suspicion that the clock upgrade could have a lot to do with the bettered sound, since the jitter reduction that Benchmark talks so much about all comes down to be re-clocked by that little tin can. If that clock signal is more pure, it could make all the difference to providing that last degree of micro-detail, by mire accurately placing each data word.

Sep 2, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #84 of 94
Quote:

I hope I've made my "agenda" crystal clear. So go piss up a rope. I don't much like having my integrity questioned, even in the quasi-real world of an internet forum.

Man... When you cool down a little, why don't you read your post again. Telling anyone to "piss up a rope" isn't exactly what I imagine "Ray Samuels or Tyll Hertsens or Jan Meier" would ever say, either.

Sep 2, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #85 of 94
I sent beauregard a PM, so we can keep out little disagreement out of this thread. I'm sure we'll work it out. Just a little misunderstanding and hot summer days no doubt for both of us. We now return you to your regular programming.

Sep 4, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #86 of 94
And the saga continues....

Thursday I packed up my mpx3 to send back to Mikhail as I am upgrading to a Supra. Which I figured would give me plenty of time to compare the headphone outs on my stock and modded dac1's.

Well, I have had time to compare the headphone outs. And the results are quite disappointing. There definitely is a difference b/n the two headphone outs, but it is nowhere near the difference I noted using my mpx3. So I listened a bit, switching back and forth b/n the modded and stock unit via disconnecting and reconnecting the cardas coax out from my marantz cdp used as a transport. In comparison to the mpx3, I find the headphone out on the dac1 to be rather stale and uninvolving in comparison. I listened long enough to compare the headphone outs b/n the stock and modded and have come to the conclusion that while there is a small difference, this is not the intended use for this unit. Neither in stock nor in modified form.

Listening through the head-outs was actually so uninvolving that I actually stopped out of relative boredom - I felt as if though I were listening to my now sold _relatively_ low end SS head amps.

Now, after acquiring my mpx3, I had become so enamored with its sound, that I have basically neglected my speaker setup for months. But now that the mpx3 is gone, and I found myself not enjoying the head-outs on either dac1 to any significant degree, I thought, well, might as well hook up both the stock & hot-rod dac1 to the speakers and see what happens. After all, a few people here have alluded to the benefit of the modded dac1 w/ speakers.

So here's my setup:

Toshiba 4900 dvdp -> Straightwire 1.5-2.0m digital coax -> BNC adaptor -> Stock & Empirical Audio modded DAC1 (manually switched) -> Outlaw Audio 0.5m PCA IC -> NAD S100 Preamp -> Outlaw Audio 0.5m PCA IC -> NAD S200 Amplifier -> DH Labs Silver Sonic T-14 Speaker Cable -> Madisound Cygnet Mark 1 Speakers (Utilizing Peerless 8" Driver and Peerless Fabric Dome tweeter). Simultaneous output from preamp goes to NHT X-2 crossover to Rotel RB-870 BX (one channel) amplifier to Madisound NHT1259 Subwoofer and cabinet via Straighwire IC.

I sat in the sweet spot on my couch and used Feist's cd Let It Die as my source disc. I was immediately reminded of the results I obtained when using the rca outs with the Singepower. High frequency extension was much better. Sense of air surrounding instruments was much better. Textural detail of vocals was much, much better. Bass extension and control was much better. But the biggest difference I noticed with my speaker setup is that overall musical enjoyment and involvement was significantly better with the modded dac1. My speaker rig doesn't have the greatest soundstaging, so I can't comment on that too much, but overall dynamics and sense of realism/live performance-in-front-of-you were basically in a different league than the stock box. As a matter of fact, it has added such new life to my speaker setup that I'm considering having my 2nd dac1 modded as well.

In summary, I must say that the headphone output mod, while providing a slight difference, is not really worth the extra cash. At least according to my ears and my 650s.

Alternatively, utilizing the rca outs to both my Singlepower mpx3 setup and my speaker rig, there is basically no comparison and the more I listen, the more I am thrilled with my mod investment. My original plan was to sell my 2nd dac1 to pay for the mods on the 1st one, but after listening to this extent, I am seriously considering sending my 2nd dac1 in to be modded as well so I can throw it into my speaker rig, as it has really provided a kick-in-the-pants that has been missing over the last few months.

Sep 4, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #88 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Man... When you cool down a little, why don't you read your post again. Telling anyone to "piss up a rope" isn't exactly what I imagine "Ray Samuels or Tyll Hertsens or Jan Meier" would ever say, either.

I'd like to accept that as constructive criticism intended for the betterment of Head-Fi. But perhaps you have some other agenda I'm not aware of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
I sent beauregard a PM...

Didn't read it. Your insult was public; the apology should be the same.

Sep 4, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #89 of 94
Quote:

Didn't read it. Your insult was public; the apology should be the same.

I didn't apologize. My PM was an attempt to cool you off.

Sep 4, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #90 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodcans

In summary, I must say that the headphone output mod, while providing a slight difference, is not really worth the extra cash. At least according to my ears and my 650s.

Alternatively, utilizing the rca outs to both my Singlepower mpx3 setup and my speaker rig, there is basically no comparison and the more I listen, the more I am thrilled with my mod investment. My original plan was to sell my 2nd dac1 to pay for the mods on the 1st one, but after listening to this extent, I am seriously considering sending my 2nd dac1 in to be modded as well so I can throw it into my speaker rig, as it has really provided a kick-in-the-pants that has been missing over the last few months.

Even though I myself heard this headphone out indifference, I still don't understand why. One can think of DAC1 as a great DAC section feeding a simple opamp headphone amp, and the only explanation would be that the headphone section is so low-resolution as to bottleneck the difference in DAC's.

I've tried a bunch of headphones on DAC1 headphone output, and I didn't think it was THAT bad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back