Empirical Audio Benchmark DAC-1 Turbo Mod - opinions?
Aug 3, 2005 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

fogia.4

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't seen this being discussed before, and was wondering if anyone had got this done and what they thought of it, as I'm starting to seriously consider it:

Turbo Mod

Let me know what you think about this

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 94
I had my Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC turbo modded by Empirical Audio. I posted my impressions a few months ago, and you should be easily able to find it with a search. The improvements from the mod were substantial and IMO well worth the cost. I have been enjoying the modded unit very much the last few months, and can't really believe the music could sound any better. I suspect a turbo mod to the Benchmark would also be a significant improvement, and everything I have read about the Empirical Audio mods has been very favorable.

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 94
jeez you're killing me.... I'm gonna have to find 1050USD now... I was pretty sure this would be worthwhile just reading what the mods are, but now if a satisfied customer tells me so I think I'll take the plunge. They compare the modded Benchmark sound to a Meridian 861, actually they think the Benchmark sounds better after mod than the meridian, that sounds really interesting, it could bring the DAC to the levels of 6000-10000USD units for a price tag of around 2000... Gotta love mods
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
I had my Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC turbo modded by Empirical Audio. I posted my impressions a few months ago, and you should be easily able to find it with a search. The improvements from the mod were substantial and IMO well worth the cost. I have been enjoying the modded unit very much the last few months, and can't really believe the music could sound any better. I suspect a turbo mod to the Benchmark would also be a significant improvement, and everything I have read about the Empirical Audio mods has been very favorable.

Phil, are you coming to SoCal meet? If you bring the modded ECD-1, we can drive it from my Empirical-modded Transit, the way it was intended. Steve's turbomod P3A sounded excellent via modded transit at my place, and I'm sure ECD-1 will also..

fogia.4, keep in mind that Steve has been threatening to develop his own DAC. Depending on what he's going to charge for it, it 'may' be a better way to go, as Steve presumably will try to do it 'right' the first time.

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 94
Yeah, I'll try and see about that, I really dig my DAC's sound signature though, I just wish I had more soundstage and bass, which is what this mod is all about it seems
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Phil, are you coming to SoCal meet? If you bring the modded ECD-1, we can drive it from my Empirical-modded Transit, the way it was intended.

I'm a "maybe" at this point. My daughter is returning to college that Saturday, and I'm not sure if I'm accompanying her or not, in which case my Sunday may be shot as well. I'd say the odds are 50/50 at this point, but if I can go, I do intend to bring the ECD-1.

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 94
This all sounds good. My turbo modded DAC1 is sitting at Steve's place right now - as soon as he gets back from vacation it should be on the way to me, early next week. I will post some impressions once I get the unit back. I don't have a turbo modded transport...yet. I am also interested, as I wait impatiently, in others' experience with his mods.

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodcans
This all sounds good. My turbo modded DAC1 is sitting at Steve's place right now - as soon as he gets back from vacation it should be on the way to me, early next week. I will post some impressions once I get the unit back. I don't have a turbo modded transport...yet. I am also interested, as I wait impatiently, in others' experience with his mods.

Please do post some pics when you get it back, I'd like to be reassured as to how the insides of the unit look post-mod, I don't want any parts flopping around in there the way I've seen on some modded headphone amps.

Aug 3, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 94
There are pics of the inside on a website somewhere, I'll try to find it again and post the link. As far as I could see, the modding was well done, clean soldering job anyway.

Aug 4, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #11 of 94
I have both the OffRamp Turbo (Empirical-modded Transit) and TurboModded DAC1 -- I'm happy with both. Unfortunately I cannot make much of a comparison to the stock Transit or stock DAC1 because I had these mods done impulsively very shortly after acquiring the stock units!
biggrin.gif

I mostly did it on a leap of faith that Steve knows what he is doing and that his praise for the TurboModded DAC1 is legit.

Aug 4, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #12 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianknewbie
I have both the OffRamp Turbo (Empirical-modded Transit) and TurboModded DAC1 -- I'm happy with both. Unfortunately I cannot make much of a comparison to the stock Transit or stock DAC1 because I had these mods done impulsively very shortly after acquiring the stock units!
biggrin.gif

I mostly did it on a leap of faith that Steve knows what he is doing and that his praise for the TurboModded DAC1 is legit.

Man, that's some sweet setup with OffRamp Turbo/Turbo DAC1. Do you have a good speaker setup to show off the source?

BTW, you DO know there is a SoCal meet soon in Irvine, where you live?! Can you come with your gear?
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...6&page=1&pp=20

Aug 4, 2005 at 8:48 AM Post #13 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Man, that's some sweet setup with OffRamp Turbo/Turbo DAC1. Do you have a good speaker setup to show off the source?

No, strictly headphones.....
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

BTW, you DO know there is a SoCal meet soon in Irvine, where you live?! Can you come with your gear?
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...6&page=1&pp=20

eek.gif
I had read about that a few weeks ago but at the time I thought I would be in the middle of a 2 month project out of town. But that has been postponed so actually I will be able to attend!! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll definitely bring:
Offramp Turbo
TurboMod'd DAC1
balanced PS-1
balanced HD650

I'm thinking SR-71 probably wont be needed
smily_headphones1.gif

possibly Grover Ultimate Reference if I receive them by then

Aug 4, 2005 at 10:38 AM Post #14 of 94
Brianknewbie, if you are not squeamish about it, I would like to take a bunch of "under the hood" pics of your modded DAC1, if you wouldn't mind.

I've already taken a bunch of pics of Iron_Dreamer's stock DAC1. It would be interesting to see what was modded.

I am bringing quite a bit of camera equipment to the Meet.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back