Empire Ears Zeus Impressions Thread - World's First 14 Driver IEM
Mar 18, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #46 of 201
Posted these pictures over at the Empire Ears thread, but my Zeus arrived today. Currently have them being fed by my Cowon Plenue S and the match is made in heaven. Smooth but detailed top end. There's a lot more treble presence and definition than my Earwerkz Legend R. They're just incredible:

Mar 18, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #48 of 201
Nice man. Same as my Apollo except for the gold EE logo
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks! Yeah I was noticing the similarity in your Headfonics review. I went with the gold logo to give it a bit of added contrasting flair since it's such a dark color combo overall, but I didn't realize it would work so well with the gold on the cable connectors. I really love the combo compared to the boring red/black combo of my old Legend.

Mar 18, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #50 of 201
  You're right the gold combo gives it a very classy flair. Do you like the cable combo? It's not balanced right?

So far the cable combo seems to be working quite well. I think the Beat Audio cable I'm using is SPC, so I'm not sure it will sound much different from the BTG Starlight I have at home (got one of the standard Empire Ears cables with the Zeus as I didn't need another BTG). There's a nice bit of body to the mids and bass with a smooth top end that still maintains a bit of sparkle. It's a well balanced sound. I'm not sure I'd want it any sharper as it seems perfect thus far.

Went ahead and ordered a balanced Black Dragon (all copper cable) with the Hifiman 3.5mm TRRS termination from Moon Audio. Should be here early next week. Can't wait to try balanced from the Plenue S.

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #52 of 201
mmm......after more than 50 hours on my Zeus, my first impression remains: it is an all-out,  fun-sounding CIEM. In my in-ears/headphones collection: only the HEK sounds better. Really impressed with this gem of a CIEM. Hands down, favorite pairing is with the 380 cu. Since getting this, I have not touched my JH Layla and Shure KSE 1500. Very addictive.

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #53 of 201
mmm......after more than 50 hours on my Zeus, my first impression remains: it is an all-out,  fun-sounding CIEM. In my in-ears/headphones collection: only the HEK sounds better. Really impressed with this gem of a CIEM. Hands down, favorite pairing is with the 380 cu. Since getting this, I have not touched my JH Layla and Shure KSE 1500. Very addictive.

PM me, if you want to give away Layla at no cost.

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #56 of 201
I had to come post here instead of the CanJam thread because Jack and his crew deserve it. These were some of the nicest and most humble people I think I have met at a show. AMAZING people, seriously, walking by when I would go past we would wave etc etc almost every time after we actually talked. Free t-shirt, not even a hesitation, what size? I also gave the Zeus a small listening session, would need more time of course. I dont more time to say how floored I was by the driver count and quad bore holes in a package so small, WOW WOW WOW. If I was ready to cheat on Noble, I would give them a serious look, you should also, but for now lets just say it was a little harmless flirting, with the Zeus of course. If you get to a show, make no bones about it, you need to meet these people.

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #57 of 201
  I had to come post here instead of the CanJam thread because Jack and his crew deserve it. These were some of the nicest and most humble people I think I have met at a show. AMAZING people, seriously, walking by when I would go past we would wave etc etc almost every time after we actually talked. Free t-shirt, not even a hesitation, what size? I also gave the Zeus a small listening session, would need more time of course. I dont more time to say how floored I was by the driver count and quad bore holes in a package so small, WOW WOW WOW. If I was ready to cheat on Noble, I would give them a serious look, you should also, but for now lets just say it was a little harmless flirting, with the Zeus of course. If you get to a show, make no bones about it, you need to meet these people.

Totally agree. Jack, Dean and co. are incredibly friendly and welcoming. I'm lucky enough to be close enough to them that I've been to their office/manufacturing facility a few times for demos or picking up an order, and you always feel like a member of the family with how you're greeted when you walk in. Glad to hear you liked the Zeus from what you heard at CanJam! 

Mar 21, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #58 of 201
  crazy....does it really make a difference? 14 drivers may not be necessary 

mmm....yeah, Zeus is crazy......good! You should try it. Of course, it is not the driver count that matters but the end results. I don't care if they cram 100 gazillion drivers. Only the results matter to me.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #59 of 201
My Moon Audio Black Dragon balanced cable for my Cowon Plenue S came in today. I have to say that balanced output with the Zeus and Plenue S is really a treat. Channel separation is incredible and imaging is really holographic in nature.

My only complaints are the all-copper Black Dragon cable tends to smooth over microdetail a bit too much and the bass it adds is verging on being too heavy on the low-end. On the other hand, it does tend to reduce a bit of the shouty qualities of the upper mids that I've noticed on occasion. I'm not sure if that was a characteristic of the Zeus or my cable and DAP pairing, however. I went ahead and ordered a Silver Dragon balanced from Moon Audio to compare. I'll have to see if that's a little closer to the ideal sound that I want out of the Zeus/Plenue S combo.

In terms of single-ended cables I have, I like the Beat Audio Supernova the best. Seems to add the right amount of sparkle and the sound is the most cohesive and tight from top to bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back