Empire Ears Zeus Impressions Thread - World's First 14 Driver IEM
Nov 16, 2015 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 201

moedawg140

Grand Master Moe "G"….Don't crossface me, bro!
Ping Pong Champ: SF Meet (2016,2017), CanJams (London 2016, RMAF 2016, NYC 2017, SoCal 2017, RMAF 2017)

Empire Ears recently announced on Facebook, Instagram and Head-Fi the announcing of the first 14 driver CIEM/Universal on the market, the Zeus! 

Coming next month, the Zeus will be available for purchase.

Empire Ears’ Instagram post: We challenged ourselves to build the most complex, technologically advanced, balanced armature in-ear monitor and what we’ve achieved is beyond what anyone could ever imagine, the world’s first 14 driver IEM.

My impressions of the Zeus are below, as it is also a part of my review of the entire Empire Ears lineup.

Build Quality

Simply amazing!  The Empire Ears Universal IEMs that I have listened to use a swirl with glittery colors design, but more exotic materials are available.  Different types of woods, carbon fiber, abalone and other beautiful materials are custom-created for you.  The build quality, internal components used, and aesthetics are at the summit of bestoke in-ear monitor companies.

Source Impressions

Before starting any critical listening, I made sure to burn in Zeus – it has at least 200 hours of burn-in; as a result this takes burn in or not burning in with regards to possible or not possible perceptible sound differences out of the equation.  My impressions will be based on listening via Questyle Audio QP1R.  With regards to the sound differences, overall, the QP1R accentuates the treble and bass regions compared to the Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp, as the m9XX sounds more natural and expresses a slightly smooth sound compared to the QP1R.  The iPhone 6 embodies more bass emphasis compared to the QP1R and m9XX, but the Zeus is easy to drive, and I didn’t experience hiss with any of my sources.  Also, equalization is not utilized.  The Zeus that I listened to is a universal model (not a demo model), and all IEMs in the lineup are available as custom IEMs as well.

Zeus – 14 Drivers

​

​

​

​

This is the top of the Empire Ears Olympus lineup, the 14 driver per side Zeus!

Zeus was the sky and thunder god in ancient Greek religion, who ruled as king of the gods of Mount Olympus.  This is an appropriate name for a glorious-sounding in-ear monitor.

The Zeus has been a huge undertaking as Jack and I have been discussing about it for quite some time, and he has garnered feedback from audiophiles/music lovers to hone the final tuning.

As far as I know, this is the first production consumer 14 driver in-ear monitor in the world.  Before I get into fit, sound signature and impressions, I would like to say a couple of thoughts regarding drivers and driver count, as it is important to discuss.  I remember several years ago when 3 and 4 driver IEMs were the most drivers available in an IEM, and every time a new model was available, there was a debate if driver count really played a factor with regards to a perceivable increase in sound quality.  I would personally say yes and no. 

Yes - to the fact that implementing more drivers with crossovers and sufficient tuning allows each driver to hone in on a particular area of the frequency spectrum.  Instead of utilizing one or two drivers that provide all of the frequency or just the bass and midrange to treble areas, more than one or two drivers can be delegated to achieve certain tasks.  If a company wants to accentuate certain areas such as bass, they may use larger drivers or even multiple drivers to accomplish this undertaking. 

No - to the fact that there are countless IEMs that are multiple-driver that do not accomplish a desired sound signature for the listener, which can be disconcerting for those that may have assumed that spending more money for more drivers equals an increase in overall sound quality, no matter what.  This is simply untrue.  There are some 10 driver IEMs that do not sound the utmost in coherency, and there are some hybrids or two driver IEMs that sound amazing and coherent.  Factor in the element that usually the lower driver count models are more economically priced, and you have some contenders in the lower driver count and lower price ranges.  Furthermore, some higher-driver models may sound too strident, too bassy, or too recessed in areas such as the midrange. 

Where does the Zeus stand?  Regardless of driver count, the Zeus is the most coherent and crystal-clear sounding balanced armature IEM that I have ever listened to.  It just so happens that the Zeus utilizes 14 drivers – all in a slim body (to house 14 drivers) that is the same size as the Apollo’s housing.  How does the Zeus sound, how’s the fit and how does it make me feel?  Come with me along the journey…

The Zeus’ fit is comfortable, and the drivers contain the largest sized housing of the lineup (large).  Insertion and fit can be issues but I experience best results by using medium sized SpinFit tips and inserting the Zeus just past the first bend of my ear canal.  The Zeus’ housing will stick out a fair portion, especially if you do not place the Zeus’ ear canal tube in your ear at or near the second bend of your ear canal.  I would advise that for an IEM like this - an IEM that begs to be pushed to the limit, it’s best to go for the custom model for the utmost in comfort, fit and isolation which will assist in increasing bass response and overall as clear articulation of the Zeus’ sound as possible.  I am using the provided BTG Starlight cable during my listening. 

The Zeus’ emits an immensely engaging, clear and exceeding coherent sound that rivals zero balanced in-ear monitors that I have listened to.  The resolving nature shows and delivers in spades.  The detail retrieval, clarity, transparency and just the right amount of aggressiveness makes the Zeus truly an Olympic quality experience.

The dynamic capabilities are supremely energetic.  The presentation is vigorous in nature, and razor sharp with regards to every nuance of every area of the audio spectrum.  This is my new reference in-ear monitor, as no area of the sound completely overtakes certain areas of the audio spectrum.  This does not mean that the Zeus sounds flat.  Since the Zeus is very detail oriented, all areas of the sound are in focus, which assists in pinpointing the complexities of every bit of the sound that is presented. 

The treble is extended, but is not sibilant.  The Zeus is natural and effortless, with that gleam of air that makes the Zeus a joy to listen.  The midrange is supremely detailed yet manages to be organic in its presentation. 

The midrange, particularly every area, creates a liquid sound that is able convey a coherent present stage.  The right amount of edge, closeness and headstage all embody the entirely resolved nature of the midrange.  

The bass is reference quality, meaning it is not boomy, not out of focus, and not muddy or muffled.  On the contrary, the Zeus’ bass is punchy, with good impact.  Kick drums and synthetic beats alike sound as natural as can be.  The bass is fast, snappy, and is naturally neutral-sounding in its deliverance. 

The soundstage does not embody similar tuning as the Apollo - there is no complete 3D soundstage feeling, and feels entirely expansive and natural. 

Using a higher fidelity DAP such as the QP1R extracts out the pinpoint accuracy of the placement of instruments and elevates the overall auditory level of the Zeus, however, the Zeus will sound absolutely marvelous from an iPhone 6 as well.  The slight bass emphasis of the iPhone 6 makes the Zeus a formidable in-ear in the quality bass department.  Blissful sound emits from the iPhone 6, and the m9XX sounds outstandingly natural in its presentation.   The m9XX is an organic treat, as bass is fully extended, midrange is sublime, and treble is smooth and thoroughly engaging. 

The Zeus exudes brilliance.  Breaths are effortless.  Vocals are lush and rich in flavor.  Kick drums are appealing.  Guitar strings are beautifully rendered.  The riffs are so meticulous it can be eerily uncanny-sounding when listening.   Bass - natural and synthetic are wondrous sounding.  All instruments are elegantly presented as harmonic in nature, and can chameleon into whatever the performer ultimately wished to express at the exact moment of performing. 

Out of all of the IEMs in the lineup, my friend (same one who listened to the Apollo as well) chose the Zeus as his favorite IEM.  He doesn’t know anything about the inner intricacies of an IEM, but he knows what sounds good, and he said that even though the treble is heightened, the Zeus sounds the clearest to him.   He goes on to state that everything else does not sound as detailed to him. 

Zeus makes me feel like I’m listening to truly something special.  There are no DAC/Amps needed with regards to specific power requirements to experience this bliss.  The easy-to-drive, filter-less, all-encompassing IEM is quite simply, divine sounding, and that is putting it mildly.  No words can describe how I feel when listening to the Zeus.  If there is a summit, or orbit – wherever, with regards to higher fidelity audio, the Zeus is perched right there – on top of the highest mountain or travelling to the moon – the pinnacle, is here.

Empire Ears Zeus Specifications

Zeus-XIV  $2099
INPUT SENSITIVITY: 119dB @ 1mw
FREQUENCY RANGE: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
IMPEDANCE: 21 ohm @ 1 kHz
NOISE ISOLATION:  -28dB +/-2
INPUT CONNECTOR:  3.5mm
WARRANTY: 1-year parts and labor, 2-years parts
INTERNAL SPEAKER CONFIGURATION: 2 Low, 6 Mid, 6 High 
7-Way, 6 Crossover Points

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 201
This is my first mini-review so please forgive me if I sound (pun intended) noobish.

Empire Ears Zeus-XIV (Universal)

Build
I opted for transparent ruby shell color and black chrome faceplates. This is because I wanted my Zeus to look like the Legend Omega shown on the old EarWerkz website.
Build-wise, my Zeus feels solid and beautifully crafted. Looking at it from every angle shows the flawless workmanship of Jack and his team of engineers.

Comfort
I had read about "horror stories" on owners who cannot comfortably wear large IEMs with a high number of drivers. Yet Zeus feels comfortable to wear despite its large size. Since my Zeus is of universal fit, I did not experience significant fit issues which can pose a problem for custom users.

Sound
As everyone's perception of sound can be different from mine, I try to describe Zeus' sound the best way I can.

My listening setup:
1) Astell&Kern AK Jr -> Empire Ears stock cable -> Zeus
2) FiiO X1 -> FiiO L16 -> TOPPING NX1 -> Empire Ears stock cable -> Zeus

The natural sound of Zeus can literally blow you away. No headphone or IEM I listened to previously can match up to Zeus. The sound is beautifully rendered, the bass hits with good thumps, the midrange is very detailed and the treble is not too bright. Soundstage is expansively wide and instrument separation is masterfully done. To summarize, I will describe Zeus as "detailed-focused". I feel that my words are still inadequate
rolleyes.gif
. It is best to audition Zeus at a local shop to hear its sound for yourself.

One minor problem is hiss with my setup number 2. I can hear something like TV static when no TV channel is shown. Hiss can be heard quite plainly when no music is playing. As I recall, hiss also existed on my old EarWerkz Supra with setup number 2. On setup number 1, there is no hiss though.

Price
Zeus is the most expensive IEM I ever bought. But I think it as an investment to reach audio quality I never had before. Zeus is worth every dollar spent and I can vouch for this.

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 201
Universal version is 70-80% of the size of the Roxanne I would say.

I will say this about size - I know that many seem to be intrigued by the fact that some high-BA count IEMs arrive in shells smaller than other IEMs with less BA drivers - and make a point about it, as if the larger IEM was doing something backward. Not really - they are often larger drivers - it isn't rocket science - In some smaller high-BA count IEMs, there are usually a larger number of TWFKs in there - or equivalent - if someone tried to make a 14-BA IEM and only could use the drivers I have in my (3BA) Velvet, the IEM would reach around the back of my head and almost meet at the middle 
tongue.gif

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 201
I will say this about size:
I know that many seem to be intrigued by the fact that some high-BA count IEMs arrive in shells smaller than other IEMs with less BA drivers, and make a point about it, as if the larger IEM was doing something backward.
Not really, they are often larger drivers.
It isn't rocket science, in some smaller high-BA count IEMs, there are usually a larger number of TWFKs (or equivalent) in there.
If someone tried to make a 14-BA IEM and only could use the drivers I have in my (3BA) Velvet, the IEM would reach around the back of my head and almost meet at the middle 
tongue.gif

Fixed that for you.
I have to say, using commas and full-stops in place of those dashes would make your post much easier to read and interpret.

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #9 of 201
Copied from the Empire thread.

I have been listening to the Zeus again and switching tips as well as source.

The verdict on the tips is that medium spinfit are the best for me. These benefit greatly from deep insertion. Besides other tips with a wider mouth, like the Spiral Dots, have a muffling effect on sound for some reason. With the spinfit, the Zeus really sound their best.

The verdict on the source is more complicated. As I said before, I have been using the AK240SS because the Zeus hiss on my Lotoo. But I am starting to think I did the Zeus a disfavor in doing this, because the AK240SS is not such a good pairing and might belittle their qualities. So for the coming days I will use my Lotoo despite the hiss. Lotoo told me they will try to solve this with some gain options in coming firmware.

With the Lotoo, despite the hiss, the Zeus really comes alive more, and its qualities are much more obvious, crazy resolution, depth, separation, dynamics. I will listen more and hope that what I dislike in the mids coloration will also be less apparent.

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 201
  Well, first 14 drivers CIEMs were created by guys from Ambient Acoustics (Kyiv) 
tongue.gif
I have mine since August 2015
rolleyes.gif

I'm not familiar with this company but just by glancing at their website they only offer up to 10 drivers publicly. If we want to talk specialty "off-the-table-untested-models" via e-mail only I can sell you a 22 driver CIEM 
tongue.gif
. Zeus is a full production, publicly available 14 driver in-ear monitor available in both custom and universal. 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back