Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 22, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #39,976 of 40,582
Now that Raven is shipping I'm surprised there's not much talk of that here, with impressions and debate. It's as if people.only showed up to bash the launch, and now that things are moving again, they're off to find drama elsewhere, or digging up age old debates that no-one can win, like cable value. 🤷🏻
Most people simply lost interest. The hype died when the first shells broke and further delays were announced.
There was a time when Raven was hard to find. Now every retailer has them and no one’s buying.
So yes not much to discuss about stuff that people no longer have or want.

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #39,977 of 40,582
Now that Raven is shipping I'm surprised there's not much talk of that here, with impressions and debate. It's as if people.only showed up to bash the launch, and now that things are moving again, they're off to find drama elsewhere, or digging up age old debates that no-one can win, like cable value. 🤷🏻
- Deleted. Im over it. This thread is bad for my health.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #39,978 of 40,582
Exactly...

Jan 22, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #39,979 of 40,582
Most people simply lost interest. The hype died when the first shells broke and further delays were announced.
There was a time when Raven was hard to find. Now every retailer has them and no one’s buying.
So yes not much to discuss about stuff that people no longer have or want.

Well, that certainly wasn’t my motivation for commenting on cable prices.

In regards to nobody buying Ravens, when I listed mine for sale in the marketplace briefly, I had about a dozen people chasing me up asking about them. I could’ve sold them multiple times but luckily I gave them a second chance. With my Kann Ultra, they sound absolutely incredible. I spent some brief time with the Odin and Raven has that mid range clarity but some truly stunning sub-bass added to the mix. In fact, I’m so impressed with that that it made me realize how unimpressed I am with my Utopia 2022, so those are gonna go. Raven has the transparency and speed of U22 but even better bass at much lower volumes.

Anybody who isn’t giving this headphone a chance because of the shell debacle is missing out. I suspect that once people get to hear them at CanJam, things will pick up. Raven really is an incredible IEM.

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #39,980 of 40,582

In regards to nobody buying Ravens, when I listed mine for sale in the marketplace briefly, I had about a dozen people chasing me up asking about them. I could’ve sold them multiple times but luckily I gave them a second chance. With my Kann Ultra, they sound absolutely incredible. I spent some brief time with the Odin and Raven has that mid range clarity but some truly stunning sub-bass added to the mix. In fact, I’m so impressed with that that it made me realize how unimpressed I am with my Utopia 2022, so those are gonna go. Raven has the transparency and speed of U22 but even better bass at much lower volumes.

Anybody who isn’t giving this headphone a chance because of the shell debacle is missing out. I suspect that once people get to hear them at CanJam, things will pick up. Raven really is an incredible IEM.
Such an incredible Iem 🔥

Jan 22, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #39,981 of 40,582

If you listed a brand new just launched hyped up IEM for $850 less than the MSRP obviously people are going to chase you down. I would too !

I wasn’t referring to the comment on cables, just in general how this thread went from super hyped to almost dead.

Jan 22, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #39,982 of 40,582
If you listed a brand new just launched hyped up IEM for $850 less than the MSRP obviously people are going to chase you down. I would too !

I wasn’t referring to the comment on cables, just in general how this thread went from super hyped to almost dead.
I was personally really hyped for Raven, especially after my experience with Legend Evo. Jack and I had been messaging back and forth as early as September about a possible demo unit (which he had generously offered after I'd asked--to be 1000% clear this would have been a loaner, not a freebie). I've followed up a couple times and since then gotten...radio silence. At first I'd attributed it to the launch being bumpy, but since then it seems like other people are getting replies and I'm just...not a priority, I guess.

I've got zero ill will about it--neither EE nor Jack owe me anything, from the time of day to a demo unit--but it almost would have been more reassuring to get a message back saying "hey, sorry, we changed our minds or due to stock issues can't currently offer a demo" rather than just nothing. Honestly, between that, and the general level of ambient vitriol in this thread--and bear in mind, I've got no dog in this fight--I was not one of the customers that preordered Raven--I can say that as an outsider looking in, it's certainly dulled some of my hype for this release. I'm certain it's an amazing sounding IEM--I'd legitimately be surprised if it wasn't--but given how top-notch customer service has been from other earphone companies I've purchased from, the general experience in this thread seems to be kind of a bummer.

Again, to be fully clear, so that no one misinterprets what I'm saying or reacts like I'm throwing dirt or calling anyone out--I wish nothing but success for EE and Jack. Having met the guy at CanJam, I think he's kind, brilliant and he continues to be one of my idols in the audio space. But yeah--it's hard to feel excitement and passion given the general vibe.

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #39,983 of 40,582

Haha, I was one of them! I want a pair and was considering buying yours.

Jan 23, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #39,984 of 40,582
I thought I'd cross post here as I feel EE's non-TOTL offerings often get overlooked while still being very competent in their own right.

I managed to recently pick up an Eletech Socrates on the cheap for one of my out-and-about IEM’s, the Empire Ears Hero. Besides the obvious aesthetic synergy, I find this an EXCELLENT pairing, more so than the Raphael. The cable is surprisingly technically competent for a copper which caught me off guard. It has an emphasis on bass impact, stick impact and clarity it seems while being more spacious (albeit less romantic) than the Raphael. A really great pairing with the feral hero and an absolute blast to listen to.

IMG_2352.jpeg
Nice, a CA1000. I really like the CA1000. Black background, a bit of oomph, great stage.

Jan 23, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #39,985 of 40,582
Nice, a CA1000. I really like the CA1000. Black background, a bit of oomph, great stage.
Yeah the staging really caught me off guard. I’m a big fan and an absolute bargain for what I managed to pick it up for! A great spontaneous purchase and no regrets here, I even prefer its sound to the newer, more expensive Kann Ultra.

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #39,986 of 40,582
I was personally really hyped for Raven, especially after my experience with Legend Evo. Jack and I had been messaging back and forth as early as September about a possible demo unit (which he had generously offered after I'd asked--to be 1000% clear this would have been a loaner, not a freebie). I've followed up a couple times and since then gotten...radio silence. At first I'd attributed it to the launch being bumpy, but since then it seems like other people are getting replies and I'm just...not a priority, I guess.

I've got zero ill will about it--neither EE nor Jack owe me anything, from the time of day to a demo unit--but it almost would have been more reassuring to get a message back saying "hey, sorry, we changed our minds or due to stock issues can't currently offer a demo" rather than just nothing. Honestly, between that, and the general level of ambient vitriol in this thread--and bear in mind, I've got no dog in this fight--I was not one of the customers that preordered Raven--I can say that as an outsider looking in, it's certainly dulled some of my hype for this release. I'm certain it's an amazing sounding IEM--I'd legitimately be surprised if it wasn't--but given how top-notch customer service has been from other earphone companies I've purchased from, the general experience in this thread seems to be kind of a bummer.

Again, to be fully clear, so that no one misinterprets what I'm saying or reacts like I'm throwing dirt or calling anyone out--I wish nothing but success for EE and Jack. Having met the guy at CanJam, I think he's kind, brilliant and he continues to be one of my idols in the audio space. But yeah--it's hard to feel excitement and passion given the general vibe.
I asked him when Odin came out to try it, got a fairly positive reply but then no followup.

No biggie. He's busy, he owes me nothing, I just waited until the used price came down and got one.

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #39,987 of 40,582
Yeah the staging really caught me off guard. I’m a big fan and an absolute bargain for what I managed to pick it up for! A great spontaneous purchase and no regrets here, I even prefer its sound to the newer, more expensive Kann Ultra.
It popped up for me through UK Amazon so I snagged mine at a great price. It currently gets more time than the SP3000.

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #39,988 of 40,582
Since we're talking about size, there are some interesting differences in terms of size and shape with Raven and Odin.
I grabbed a bunch of pics of Raven, Odin, Viking Ragnar, and Rn6 (to add a less massive IEM for comparison).

Raven is definitely the biggest overall, but between the angles, stem sizes and body contours, I could see some people finding it more or less comfortable than Odin or Ragnar just based on individual anatomy.
Here is the Odin and Odyssey as well as an LX and Xelento up against the Odyssey.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231117_122111_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231117_122111_eBay.jpg
    859.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20231221_165747_1703199492033(1).jpeg
    Resized_20231221_165747_1703199492033(1).jpeg
    843.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #39,990 of 40,582
I got to where I don't feel the Odyssey at all once they are in. I started using the Divinus Velvet and the TRI Clarion in a smaller size for a deeper fit and the Odyssey is perfectly comfortable despite the size of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back