Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 21, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #39,961 of 40,577
Eletech Socrates is an amazing cable. It helps out a lot with the EE Legend X. Very rare to find a good cheap cable. Socrates hits the sweet spot for value for money.
I wouldn’t consider a $700 cable cheap.

Jan 21, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #39,963 of 40,577
Well it’s all relative isn’t it? When the standard asking price for TOTL cables these days is around the 2.5 - 3k mark, with outliers like Orpheus costing over double that, Socrates certainly resides on the cheaper end of the scale.
Relativity doesn’t have much to do with it really. Cheap cables can be had for $10.

Jan 21, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #39,964 of 40,577
Relativity doesn’t have much to do with it really. Cheap cables can be had for $10.
It has everything to do with it in the context of this conversation. If we don’t have scope of the minimum and maximum price one can pay for a cable who’s to say what’s cheap and what’s expensive? 😂 it just so happens that $600 falls on the cheaper end of the spectrum of what someone can pay for a cable, albeit not everyone would find it “cheap” per se.

Jan 21, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #39,965 of 40,577
It has everything to do with it in the context of this conversation. If we don’t have scope of the minimum and maximum price one can pay for a cable who’s to say what’s cheap and what’s expensive? 😂 it just so happens that $600 falls on the cheaper end of the spectrum of what someone can pay for a cable, albeit not everyone would find it “cheap” per se.
I don’t wish to argue so I will let this be the last thing I say on the matter and leave you with the last word.
Cheap by definition means “ Low in price.”
A million dollar home isn’t cheap simply because a 100 million dollar home exists.
Is it relatively ”cheap“ compared the more expensive option ? That could be.
If one only shops at luxury stores it is a distinct possibility that that persons perspective of value will be skewed upwards. This doesn’t mean that the rest of the world has ceased to exist. Cheap is cheap.

Jan 21, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #39,966 of 40,577
I don’t wish to argue so I will let this be the last thing I say on the matter and leave you with the last word.
A million dollar home isn’t cheap simply because a 100 million dollar home exists.
If one only shops at luxury stores it is a distinct possibility that that persons perspective of value will be skewed upwards. This doesn’t mean that the rest of the world has ceased to exist. Cheap is cheap.
That could be said for the opposite also, if one always shops at bargain bin stores then their perception would be skewed downwards. Which shoppers perception of "Cheap" is correct? But yeah, If you don't find it good value then that's why $10 cables off of Amazon etc exist.

Jan 21, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #39,967 of 40,577
Don’t waste your time arguing. You and me both understand what you’re saying and I agree with you 100% !

Jan 21, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #39,969 of 40,577
Jan 21, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #39,971 of 40,577
Depends how you look at things. We routinely spend thousands on IEMs while others are happy with Apple earbuds that cost less than $200, and then some people buy the cheap earbuds for $50.

Without getting into the whole mess of it, some folks pay for the highest quality music files they can find while others are happy to stream or use MP3s.

We pay many thousands for DAPs where most people just use their phones.

We pays hundreds trying out different tips to find the ones that are just right.

So thousands for a good cable is just one more of the insanities we do. My 1960 was something I thought went for an insane price until I tried it. I can see spending $3-4K for a cable if it has good synergy with the rest of my equipment, but I certainly wouldn't take the leap without trying it first.

Jan 21, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #39,972 of 40,577
Are we so deprived of Empire related discussion that the conversation is veering into cables? There are better places for that.

Jan 22, 2024 at 1:45 AM Post #39,973 of 40,577
Are we so deprived of Empire related discussion that the conversation is veering into cables? There are better places for that.
Now that Raven is shipping I'm surprised there's not much talk of that here, with impressions and debate. It's as if people.only showed up to bash the launch, and now that things are moving again, they're off to find drama elsewhere, or digging up age old debates that no-one can win, like cable value. 🤷🏻

Jan 22, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #39,974 of 40,577
Now that Raven is shipping I'm surprised there's not much talk of that here, with impressions and debate. It's as if people.only showed up to bash the launch, and now that things are moving again, they're off to find drama elsewhere, or digging up age old debates that no-one can win, like cable value. 🤷🏻
Great observation!

Jan 22, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #39,975 of 40,577
Hi, I’m looking to get the faceplate fixed on a pair of Wraith IEMs. A bubble has appeared at the edge. I emailed Support at Empire Ears on 7 January but haven’t received a response. Does anybody have any contacts at Empire Ears who could help? Photos attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2806.jpeg
    IMG_2806.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2805.jpeg
    IMG_2805.jpeg
    977.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2804.jpeg
    IMG_2804.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back