Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 14, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #39,931 of 40,577
Can someone here give me the tl;dr on the Raven between the v1 vs v2 and the mirror finish vs non mirror finish? I'm wondering if Raven should be on my radar for a CanJam demo, but admittedly I ducked out of this thread for a while with the abundance of drama. I need the info without the mad if anyone here can provide it.
The difference should just be the 2pin connection not being so tight that the shell breaks when swapping cables.. and the faceplates went from glossy to matte I think

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #39,933 of 40,577
I thought there was a rumor about a sound signature difference with Raven. I might be mistaken
I have not heard anything yet on a sound difference but that would be interesting

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #39,936 of 40,577
I thought there was a rumor about a sound signature difference with Raven. I might be mistaken
There was talk in the EE thread of the shell changes making for a bass response change at one point, I actually think it was mentioned by Jack in one of his update posts but could be misremembering that specific quote as his, but there was discussion about the sound changing between the two versions due to the shells. Some folks said they were going to cancel their v1 preorders to wait and hear v2.

Edit: Doh 🤦🏻 thought I was in the Watercooler thread.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #39,937 of 40,577
Can someone here give me the tl;dr on the Raven between the v1 vs v2 and the mirror finish vs non mirror finish? I'm wondering if Raven should be on my radar for a CanJam demo, but admittedly I ducked out of this thread for a while with the abundance of drama. I need the info without the mad if anyone here can provide it.
The TL;DR between the V1 and V2 is:

- Looser 2-pin connectors.
- Transparent resin inlay (vs. the V1’s opaque one) for quicker and more accurate QC.
- Completely-redone shells, which should be stronger and, apparently, allow a bit more resonance in the bass frequencies (the sound change bit).
- New lacquer technique
- New vendor for the shiny faceplates with tighter polishing QC and fingerprint-resistant coating
- Though a hundred or so units with shiny faceplates passed QC, they eventually switched to a satin finish after too many of them failed.

So, the V1 and V2 have a number of differences, but the differences between the shiny V2’s and satin V2’s are just the faceplate finishes. The former are a limited, earlier batch, and the latter is how the rest of them will be.

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #39,938 of 40,577
If you are afraid of scratches, apply film.
I bought it cheaply and cut it with scissors.
lol
I also bought a fresh A8K, but then it just brought up my OCD with dealing with the adhesive at a later point.
Taking ocd to another level 😂
I rather just slowly convince myself it's fine. Not like I didn't know, plus it sounds so good, micro scratches on the faceplate won't change that

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #39,940 of 40,577
I also bought a fresh A8K, but then it just brought up my OCD with dealing with the adhesive at a later point.

I rather just slowly convince myself it's fine. Not like I didn't know, plus it sounds so good, micro scratches on the faceplate won't change that
honestly, I bet if you got a film to put over it that was one of the more stretchier/membrane-like ones (I’m thinking like the old zagg invisible shield or bodyguards type films as opposed to the type that is more rigid), the scratch would probably become invisible. You have probably already done this, but I’d also recommend making sure your give it a really good buff with a microfiber cloth (and maybe eve alcohol/glasses wipe) as I’ve had what I thought were scratches on mine that I was able to buff/rub out with a bit more thorough cleaning.

As to the question of differences between v1 and v2 ravens, as someone who had both (and both in the mirror finish), and as @Deezel177, mentioned, the most immediately noticeable difference is the less tight 2 pin sockets. The black shells in the v2 are more premium looking—the laquer is more glossy and overall looks a bit nicer with more depth to the shine, and on the glossy faceplates they added an film/coating that made it more fingerprint resistant. I can attest that the v2s do seem a bit more resistant to fingerprints, though fingerprints will still show up on the faceplates with handling. I had over a month between having the v1 and v2 and I can’t say I noticed any difference in sound. I believe Jack when he says that the tweaks they made to the shells/laquer may have had a minor effect on sound, but would say that any difference in bass or other aspect of sound between the v1 and v2 is small enough that unless you had both versions sitting next to each other and were able to go back and forth, you wouldn’t be able to tell a difference.

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #39,941 of 40,577
From the horses mouth:

With respect to the bass revisions, the changes are nuanced, originating from the structural enhancements we've incorporated. There are no electronic alterations internally—nothing that would show up in specifications or graphs. However, during our critical listening tests, we've experienced a slightly deeper bass presence with more resolution and layering.

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #39,942 of 40,577
The Dunu S&S tips work very well with the Odin. Swapped out the Spinfit Omni's for them and so far I like them. Great seal, solid bottom end and more treble detail. Good soundstage.

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #39,943 of 40,577
The Dunu S&S tips work very well with the Odin. Swapped out the Spinfit Omni's for them and so far I like them. Great seal, solid bottom end and more treble detail. Good soundstage.
+1 for SpinFit Omni.

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #39,944 of 40,577
honestly, I bet if you got a film to put over it that was one of the more stretchier/membrane-like ones (I’m thinking like the old zagg invisible shield or bodyguards type films as opposed to the type that is more rigid), the scratch would probably become invisible. You have probably already done this, but I’d also recommend making sure your give it a really good buff with a microfiber cloth (and maybe eve alcohol/glasses wipe) as I’ve had what I thought were scratches on mine that I was able to buff/rub out with a bit more thorough cleaning.

As to the question of differences between v1 and v2 ravens, as someone who had both (and both in the mirror finish), and as @Deezel177, mentioned, the most immediately noticeable difference is the less tight 2 pin sockets. The black shells in the v2 are more premium looking—the laquer is more glossy and overall looks a bit nicer with more depth to the shine, and on the glossy faceplates they added an film/coating that made it more fingerprint resistant. I can attest that the v2s do seem a bit more resistant to fingerprints, though fingerprints will still show up on the faceplates with handling. I had over a month between having the v1 and v2 and I can’t say I noticed any difference in sound. I believe Jack when he says that the tweaks they made to the shells/laquer may have had a minor effect on sound, but would say that any difference in bass or other aspect of sound between the v1 and v2 is small enough that unless you had both versions sitting next to each other and were able to go back and forth, you wouldn’t be able to tell a difference.
I got a brand new unopened V2 launch edition two weeks ago from Musicteck and the gold is shiny. No scratches yet. Completely amazes me how much the sound of these has changed over break in

Jan 15, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #39,945 of 40,577
Any updates for those of us that returned our V1s to EE? Almost 2 months now, especially frustrating when they're now readily available from several retailers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back