Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 20, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #39,737 of 40,582
I believe it gives more than what one can take, and depending on other parts in the chain certain aspects become more dominant.
I can set RS8 in AK4499 mode, and with Spinfit Omni, treble shines with considerable sound stage expansion towards sides
It can also challenge the EVO in bass with final E tips and a bit of dynamics.

There has been one occasion where I felt Raven was the bottleneck and that was with respect to vocals. Listen to the track Mechanistic Inception by Mono sapiens. 10 second part starting at 5:05, has nice treble and vocals mixing. Vocals aren't very clear there with Raven because of the treble; and anecdotally somebody said it was clear with Odins for example
RS8 in AK4499 mode? What is that? One of their darwin filter? You can choose the flavor of DS chips?

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #39,738 of 40,582
RS8 in AK4499 mode? What is that? One of their darwin filter? You can choose the flavor of DS chips?
RS8 is highly customizable if you're playing PCM derivatives. That specific one you can find under Audio settings -> Plugins -> Mastermind -> A4499. There are more flavors there

Dec 20, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #39,740 of 40,582
Finally retired the Stormbreaker. I can not believe Empire ships the Odin IEM with that horrific thing. Between the tangles and the stupid connector scraping my back, I had had enough.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #39,741 of 40,582
Finally retired the Stormbreaker. I can not believe Empire ships the Odin IEM with that horrific thing. Between the tangles and the stupid connector scraping my back, I had had enough.
Oh ok, love my Stormbreaker and even sold my Odin without it. Cable feels nice in the hand as well.

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #39,742 of 40,582
Stormbreaker is ok. Sounds good with the Odin. I prefer it to the 1960 on Odin. Yes, it does tangle (wrapping issue, I believe), but certainly is functional. Less microphonics than the 1960 while walking. Never scratched me.

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #39,743 of 40,582
Thanks for sharing…

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #39,744 of 40,582
Replaced it with an Eletech, much better experience.

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #39,745 of 40,582
Ohh, didn't know about that 😁
It's pretty interesting 🙂
Another thing you can try if you haven't is to use Raven in low gain and turbo off. Sounds best to my ears. The thinking is that it's a 2 ohm IEM so doesn't really need much power to move it. More power can push it to its physical limits, which might not produce the best sound out of it

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #39,746 of 40,582
Another thing you can try if you haven't is to use Raven in low gain and turbo off. Sounds best to my ears. The thinking is that it's a 2 ohm IEM so doesn't really need much power to move it. More power can push it to its physical limits, which might not produce the best sound out of it
Pardon my ignorance but I vaguely remember reading a post criticizing EE for this... Your post makes it seem likes it's maybe a good thing. Which is generally preferable? I'd assume easier to drive IEM's, no?

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #39,747 of 40,582
Pardon my ignorance but I vaguely remember reading a post criticizing EE for this... Your post makes it seem likes it's maybe a good thing. Which is generally preferable? I'd assume easier to drive IEM's, no?
Whether it is a good thing to have that impedance, I don't have an answer to -) I'm just trying to make best use of it, and it seems to sound best to me when run at low gain and turbo off.

Dec 21, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #39,748 of 40,582
The drawback of low impedance can be that it produces hiss with (powerful) amps. Therefore, too easy to drive is not good, imho.

Dec 21, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #39,749 of 40,582
The drawback of low impedance can be that it produces hiss with (powerful) amps. Therefore, too easy to drive is not good, imho.
I could be wrong but I was under the impression such hissing was due to either or both high sensitivity IEMs and noisy amplification. Impedance would relate more to the damping factor where a lower impedance IEM can have its frequency response affected by the amplification if the relation between the 2 is inadequate.

That said, I am not sure my LX would pick hissing noise unless it is in the bass region! :)

Dec 21, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #39,750 of 40,582
I could be wrong but I was under the impression such hissing was due to either or both high sensitivity IEMs and noisy amplification. Impedance would relate more to the damping factor where a lower impedance IEM can have its frequency response affected by the amplification if the relation between the 2 is inadequate.

That said, I am not sure my LX would pick hissing noise unless it is in the bass region! :)
You may be right. I saw a relationship between the hiss of the Odin and its low impedance, but maybe it is explained by high sensitivity instead? Welcoming others to chime in on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back