Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 16, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #39,676 of 40,713
It’s not at E-Earphone and I was there 3 weeks ago.

Also if they re-did the whole resin and went to a new vendor for the faceplates they basically had to redesign a whole entire IEM. I would give EE a break just because it takes a lot to release a new and redesigned product, although that’s probably not what people want to hear after putting down a deposit and waiting for months. Raven will land, but all we can do for now is wait.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #39,678 of 40,713
It’s not at E-Earphone and I was there 3 weeks ago.

Also if they re-did the whole resin and went to a new vendor for the faceplates they basically had to redesign a whole entire IEM. I would give EE a break just because it takes a lot to release a new and redesigned product, although that’s probably not what people want to hear after putting down a deposit and waiting for months. Raven will land, but all we can do for now is wait.

I've always found it's easier to build from scratch than having to break something down and rebuild it, although it's not always practical.

Well to bring a little light to the situation to maybe help those reluctantly accept the unfortunate delays. Everyone is aware of the shellgate which required an engineering feat to be certain there was no possibility of this in the future. Then, the faceplates alone were custom machined in a facility where Jack spent a month in-house to oversee quality control and attempt to produce consistent results. Upon the arrival, they did not meet acceptable standards as they deviated from a mirror polish and somehow introduced swirls and scratches under the coating. Then in a scramble the challenge was finding out if the bead blast would meet the design goal and be repeatable unlike the previous attempt. Now, these have to be created and affixed to the IEM to see what changes are introduced to the sound. This then requires tuning parameters to be adjusted for every unit to meet the already agreed upon and preferred signature. During this time Jack had to fly to various regions of the globe to oversee launch protocols and tend to his network to streamline everything, oh and attend audio shows in other countries as well. He may have traveled the entire world these past 2 months. After allllllll that he is at the mercy of supply chain breakdowns.

Yea it sucks but I get it and give the dude a pass. He has been getting after it like a maniac without enough time in the day to deal with it all.

Dec 16, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #39,679 of 40,713
Carry on, and the new French 3 Musketeers movie that’s out is quite good.
Looks like a redo of Richard Lester's versions. Hope it's as good. Though none of the movies made of Dumas' books have been as good as his books.

Dec 16, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #39,681 of 40,713
Well to bring a little light to the situation to maybe help those reluctantly accept the unfortunate delays. Everyone is aware of the shellgate which required an engineering feat to be certain there was no possibility of this in the future. Then, the faceplates alone were custom machined in a facility where Jack spent a month in-house to oversee quality control and attempt to produce consistent results. Upon the arrival, they did not meet acceptable standards as they deviated from a mirror polish and somehow introduced swirls and scratches under the coating. Then in a scramble the challenge was finding out if the bead blast would meet the design goal and be repeatable unlike the previous attempt. Now, these have to be created and affixed to the IEM to see what changes are introduced to the sound. This then requires tuning parameters to be adjusted for every unit to meet the already agreed upon and preferred signature. During this time Jack had to fly to various regions of the globe to oversee launch protocols and tend to his network to streamline everything, oh and attend audio shows in other countries as well. He may have traveled the entire world these past 2 months. After allllllll that he is at the mercy of supply chain breakdowns.

Yea it sucks but I get it and give the dude a pass. He has been getting after it like a maniac without enough time in the day to deal with it all.
Exactly Chris... in case anyone needs validation because it is CL, I have also been privy to that, but cannot validate more.
It is business, things happen, delays etc. and it happens to all companies from time to time. The recovery from those things is critical. The actual debate seems to be this very thing, the recovery, not the issues themselves.

edit: As if I wasn't already curious enough...I need to hear this thing

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #39,682 of 40,713
Can we please return to civility? I thought we were just about there...

Sharing a post by @Deferenz re EA's Ares S x Cadmus paired with the LX. Unfortunately, I missed out on the cable; had it in my cart, but fell asleep and when I went to check out the next day it had sold out.

Ares S x Cadmus 8 Wire Christmas Special

The Ares S x Cadmus is a 24 AWG 8 Wire cable. It is, as the name suggests, a combination of the Ares S and the Cadmus 4 wire cables. Being an 8 wire it is quite thick, but still quite supple and very easy to manage when in use. The copper and silver wires are very nicely woven together and the cable comes with chrome hardware. As an added extra it also comes with ConX which is of course useful if you have a few IEMs with different connectors.

I’ve been doing some listening with the Legend X and the SP3000 using Tidal hi-res. I have done a few long sessions now with this cable and I’ve not grown tired of it. To my ears the sound from the LX is helped by a perfect mix between Cadmus and Ares S. I want to go and take time back a bit to when I had both the prototypes P37 and P38 with me, aka Cadmus and Ares S. This is what I heard with each one separately and these are my brief notes from that time:

LX with Ares S (P38) – Straight away the bass stands out with this pairing, I was hearing more sub bass rumble and more punch from mid bass from tracks that have it. The mid-section is clear but still retains a real hint of warmth. The treble is extended quite well on the LX but never fatiguing. This pairing is very warm.

LX with Cadmus (P37) – There is clearer sound with compared to the P38 and this is noticeable straight away. There is more extension in the treble and I’m finding it has more detail. the mids feel smooth whereas the highs seem a bit more crisp. I think the mids seem a bit clearer on the P37, and this may show that this cable is a bit more revealing than it’s sibling P38. Bass feels a lot tighter on the P37. Mid bass has a good punch to it and sub bass is really noticeable when it is called fall. The P37 definitely seems to aid the low end.

So what you get then with this Christmas Edition cable is the best of both of these cables. There’s clarity and warmth with a deep yet tight bass, smooth detail and clarity of the mids with good layering and separation of instruments, and a controlled yet crisp extension of the treble. This combination works well with the LX and I actually think the combination of the two cables suits the LX better than with each cable individually. I’ve been listening to this pairing for hours at a time and there is no fatigue at all. I liked using the LX with the Ares S x Cadmus while I’m working as it allows me to concentrate on the work but still get some great sound from the music.

IMG_2694.jpg
IMG_2691.jpg

Dec 16, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #39,683 of 40,713

Sharing a post by @Deferenz re EA's Ares S x Cadmus paired with the LX. Unfortunately, I missed out on the cable; had it in my cart, but fell asleep and when I went to check out the next day it had sold out.
Thanks for sharing the post. Sorry that you missed out on this cable. However, the one I had is being sent back to EA so it may be available if you act quickly! 😉

Dec 16, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #39,684 of 40,713

If you can find one (or a similar alternative) on the 2nd hand market, I’d recommend a gold-silver or palladium-silver hybrid like the Leonidas II for the LX. A lot of people tend to go pure silver or SPC for brightness and bite, but it’s easy to forget that the LX shines with a bit more mid presence/richness too, which is where the gold and/or palladium come in. Even something fresh, airy and vibrant like Plussound’s Exo PPH would work really well, I reckon.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #39,685 of 40,713
If you can find one (or a similar alternative) on the 2nd hand market, I’d recommend a gold-silver or palladium-silver hybrid like the Leonidas II for the LX. A lot of people tend to go pure silver or SPC for brightness and bite, but it’s easy to forget that the LX shines with a bit more mid presence/richness too, which is where the gold and/or palladium come in. Even something fresh, airy and vibrant like Plussound’s Exo PPH would work really well, I reckon.
This is my normal pairing with the LX, but my Leo II is terminated in 2.5mm and I was considering an alternate 4.4mm cable without the need for an adapter. I should just send in all my cables for Term X. I have to say I absolutely love the right-angled Pentaconn connector though, I wish more manufacturers offered it.

Dec 16, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #39,686 of 40,713
My preferred pairing for LX is PWA's 1950s (or clone). I've rolled many, many cables with LX over the years (and more recently with my repurchased unit) and keep going back to 1950s as the one that gives LX the most balanced, technical tuning without neutering its 'legendary' bass and natural musicality.

Dec 16, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #39,687 of 40,713
You think I’m hurting the brand? 🤣 You’re the same coward that blows smoke up their rear ends and then lets people sway your opinion to fit in. That’s hurtful to the brand. Maybe you should get a new wooden nametag that says B.!.T.C.H.
You are hurting the brand from my perspective too. I understand the closeness you feel with EE I have it with an equipment mfgr here and their sole US distribution channel is a dear personal friend. I get the need to defend but you keep dredging up the the stuff on the bottom of the pond when you reply, you don’t let it settle to the bottom.

As suggested let the EE employees reply when they can, their business isn’t going to fail because of this thread either way. Their musician clients likely pay their bills, not us with the golden ears that can hear the difference between Chris Jone’s crickets and Rattlesnake tails.

I’ll show myself to the door again and pop back after the new year to see if anything new has popped up and The Raven are ready to order.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #39,688 of 40,713
Good night..A very elderly head Fi member.Being following EE thread about Raven but will not offer opinion.Got special edition Raven from Musicteck on Thursday.Live in EU ..Have Odyssey which I found to my liking..Raven in my humble personal opinion big improvement.Very comfortable..Bass hits hard but not offensively..Improved soundstage & layering.My sympathies to all people waiting..Thank you John

Dec 16, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #39,690 of 40,713
Good night..A very elderly head Fi member.Being following EE thread about Raven but will not offer opinion.Got special edition Raven from Musicteck on Thursday.Live in EU ..Have Odyssey which I found to my liking..Raven in my humble personal opinion big improvement.Very comfortable..Bass hits hard but not offensively..Improved soundstage & layering.My sympathies to all people waiting..Thank you John
Congratulations, Raven is awesome What are you running it off of?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back