Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 3, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #37,501 of 40,579
I picked up a Traillii around a month ago and haven't listened to my Odin or LX much since. I've been mostly listening to jazz lately, though. I imagine the Odin sounds better with pop music and if you like your EDM flat. The LX is more fun with EDM and HipHop. But if jazz is your thing then it's no contest, the Traillii wins by a mile for me.
How does Traillii handle Jazz Horns???? :ksc75smile::thinking:

Mar 3, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #37,502 of 40,579
How does Traillii handle Jazz Horns???? :ksc75smile::thinking:
I prefer it for Rock, pop, jazz, vocals, standards, prog rock etc. it is excellent with horns. If you want your skull shaken by powerful bass on EDM look elsewhere. I do still like it, as I prefer high quality tight bass. I have friends though that do not use it for EDM.

For jazz horns it is great. I like Chuck Mangione, A Love Supreme, Miles, Chris Botti, and Sonny Rollins to name a few.

It will not make vocals on bad recording sound good though. For that I think the legend might be better and especially the UM Red Halo or Le Jardin, but they cost a fortune.

Mar 3, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #37,503 of 40,579
Empire ears bass isn’t loose or plush on newer W9+ or W10 equipped models. The LX is fat and warm sounding but the improved driver tech on newer models is very tight, excursion is fantastic and decay is very tight and accurate. Not to mention the Traillii isn’t pumping out 20hz like EE models do. BA bass isn’t bad and Traillii bass is some of the better BA bass I’ve heard but I don’t feel that it overcomes that of Odin, EVO or Odyssey. Like I said before it’s all preference but there’s no quality gap compared to BA bass in any regard. The place Traillii will slightly fall short is piano notes since they dip that region to create the illusion of space.

Mar 3, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #37,504 of 40,579
Empire ears bass isn’t loose or plush on newer W9+ or W10 equipped models. The LX is fat and warm sounding but the improved driver tech on newer models is very tight, excursion is fantastic and decay is very tight and accurate. Not to mention the Traillii isn’t pumping out 20hz like EE models do. BA bass isn’t bad and Traillii bass is some of the better BA bass I’ve heard but I don’t feel that it overcomes that of Odin, EVO or Odyssey. Like I said before it’s all preference but there’s no quality gap compared to BA bass in any regard. The place Traillii will slightly fall short is piano notes since they dip that region to create the illusion of space.
Yes, I agree it is always up to the individual. For example I prefer the Traillii for Oscar Peterson to the Odyssey, Evo or Odin. My point was really this was my view, and hopefully it can be used to build an audition list.

EVO is sweet listen

Mar 3, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #37,505 of 40,579
Yes, I agree it is always up to the individual. For example I prefer the Traillii for Oscar Peterson to the Odyssey, Evo or Odin. My point was really this was my view, and hopefully it can be used to build an audition list.

EVO is sweet listen
Yes I agree. We all have a different reception of the sound based on expectations, ear shapes, etc. I offered contrast since although I think the Traillii is top 3 in the industry, the bass it produces, albeit great, doesn’t possess that visceral impact, speed and texture that I get with the overly engineered DD’s that Empire ears have managed to create.

Mar 4, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #37,507 of 40,579
What would you guys say is a reasonable price for a mint condition Odyssey ? I know someone who is selling.

Also anyone who has compared it to the VE EXT ? I listen to mostly Hip Hop, Dance and EDM (mostly fun music) but also everything else from time to time. Any other recommendations are also welcome. Thank you :)

Mar 4, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #37,508 of 40,579
What would you guys say is a reasonable price for a mint condition Odyssey ? I know someone who is selling.

Also anyone who has compared it to the VE EXT ? I listen to mostly Hip Hop, Dance and EDM (mostly fun music) but also everything else from time to time. Any other recommendations are also welcome. Thank you :)
They are both very good and actually have a fairly similar FR. I’d say for electronic genres odyssey wins as its bass extends deeper and the effect of the BCD is quite good and novel. For anything mid focused that has vocals and needs natural instrument timbre, EXT wins hands down. It has a magical midrange that is intoxicating… I also enjoy its mid bass and PRAT a lot. You can’t go wrong with either tbh

Mar 4, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #37,509 of 40,579
I have never heard the EXT, but in all of the other VE models I have heard I think VE are the mid range kings, their mids just click with me. Never offensive and tonally primo. I can't imagine the EXT being any different.

I listen to a bit of every genre of music, lots of rock and jazz. I enjoy so many EE models and still put the VALK II in my ears. The Odyssey is best example of an EE "all arounder"(I hate that term). Odyssey features industry leading bass, non-fatiguing mids and enough treble sparkle to not sound subdued. Excellent staging.

If I was super into EDM & Hip Hop, EVO would rule the roost and VALKII second, at least to my ears. The entire EVO signature is no slouch, but clearly showcases both excellent bass quality and quantity.

In mythology, ODIN was the God of many things, as is the IEM. It is a clarity and detail GOD without sounding the least bit stale or clinical. Excellent bass quality, but not a bass focused IEM. Upper mids may click with you or they may not.

I have found the LX, EVO and Odyssey to reach a more balanced overall signature with proper seasoning.

Mar 4, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #37,510 of 40,579
Cross posting from the EA thread as I think I've found the perfect combo for Odyssey (for my preferences):

"Received a Chiron (4 wire) yesterday and I've got to say I'm mightily impressed. It surpasses the cables I've heard by quite a margin (even as a 4 wire). When hooked up to the A&K Odyssey and accentuates the parts of the FR I hoped it would and makes me want to listen to Odyssey that much more. Coming from the Cleopatra II 4 wire the resolution is enhanced even more and sound staging / imaging properties are improved significantly. Just thought I'd put my 2c here as I usually shy away from EA as a brand but this cable has me back on board"

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #37,512 of 40,579
Not trying to derail the current thoughts, but wanted to share that Cayin is doing a tour of the new N7 DAP. Not sure if any one is interested, but from the sounds of it, it's a great value at 2k and I'm probably goign to get it if it sounds the way Twister says it does in his initial thoughts (we hear very similarly and I respect the heck out of his reviews). One poster Fabian (I think I spelled it right, but am not sure) loves his N7 with his Odin's.

It's funny as I have been using my Odin's with my Brinkmann Nyquist DAC, which is a world class DAC that I'm blessed to own and it's an amazing IEM that shows off all the small nuances of the DAC (I use The Memory Player's most updated software and hardware for server/streamer. It's the third best server/streamer I've ever heard (Wadax's 150k is the best and then the Taiko SMG is second best).

I need a better DAP than my AK25 mk2 that the N7 will replace. I"m selling the AK regardless, even though it's a GREAT DAP for the money and small as heck to travel with, but I need something closer to TOTL even to travel with. :). Just wanted to share. Thanks.

Mar 8, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #37,514 of 40,579
Not trying to derail the current thoughts, but wanted to share that Cayin is doing a tour of the new N7 DAP. Not sure if any one is interested, but from the sounds of it, it's a great value at 2k and I'm probably goign to get it if it sounds the way Twister says it does in his initial thoughts (we hear very similarly and I respect the heck out of his reviews). One poster Fabian (I think I spelled it right, but am not sure) loves his N7 with his Odin's.

It's funny as I have been using my Odin's with my Brinkmann Nyquist DAC, which is a world class DAC that I'm blessed to own and it's an amazing IEM that shows off all the small nuances of the DAC (I use The Memory Player's most updated software and hardware for server/streamer. It's the third best server/streamer I've ever heard (Wadax's 150k is the best and then the Taiko SMG is second best).

I need a better DAP than my AK25 mk2 that the N7 will replace. I"m selling the AK regardless, even though it's a GREAT DAP for the money and small as heck to travel with, but I need something closer to TOTL even to travel with. :). Just wanted to share. Thanks.
I'll hop on the tour then. Trying to get the hang of reviewing, so I'll give the DAP a go. Too bad they aren't doing a tour of the N8ii

Users who are viewing this thread

Back