Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 3, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #37,321 of 40,591
Jan 5, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #37,322 of 40,591
Has anyone done any extensive cable rolling on Odyssey yet? I’m getting the feeling that it would really benefit with a cable with some palladium in it, maybe with a silver base. Looking at the PPH or leonidas

Jan 5, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #37,324 of 40,591
Has anyone done any extensive cable rolling on Odyssey yet? I’m getting the feeling that it would really benefit with a cable with some palladium in it, maybe with a silver base. Looking at the PPH or leonidas
I posted some thoughts in the watercooler thread. But basically
- OTL is unbelievable for bass-centric music. A must-buy if your main genres are electronic/pop/hip-hop. Mid-bass could be a bit much for other genres.
- First Times unshielded is a more neutral all-arounder, probably better suited to more genres (but losing some of the bass awesomeness of OTL so a little more boring in that respect). I need to A/B more, but I think you get a similar tonality to the stock cable but with much better technical performance.
- I tried the Ragnar’s silver/graphene cable and it just sounded wrong to me. I guess I should be more specific, but I just recall that I really didn’t like this pairing.
- I actually got to try the Orpheus on the Odyssey, and they don’t work at all well together. The bass was just extremely over the top to the point of being almost unlistenable.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #37,325 of 40,591
I posted some thoughts in the watercooler thread. But basically
- OTL is unbelievable for bass-centric music. A must-buy if your main genres are electronic/pop/hip-hop. Mid-bass could be a bit much for other genres.
- First Times unshielded is a more neutral all-arounder, probably better suited to more genres (but losing some of the bass awesomeness of OTL so a little more boring in that respect). I need to A/B more, but I think you get a similar tonality to the stock cable but with much better technical performance.
- I tried the Ragnar’s silver/palladium cable and it just sounded wrong to me. I guess I should be more specific, but I just recall that I really didn’t like this pairing.
- I actually got to try the Orpheus on the Odyssey, and they don’t work at all well together. The bass was just extremely over the top to the point of being almost unlistenable.
Nice, thanks for the impressions. OTL and Orphy is way out of what I’m willing to spend on a cable but appreciate the insights.

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #37,326 of 40,591
I went back and tried the Ragnar cable with the Odyssey. I realized the problem with it is that it adds a lot of treble, and--while you think that'd be a good thing for a bassy IEM--it just makes it sound wrong. You get the thick low end, but with high-energy treble. So I don't think silver is the way to go with the Odyssey. The nice thing about the OTL is that, while it adds some air to the treble, the treble overall is just right and sits better with the bass.

Jan 7, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #37,327 of 40,591
I have a chance to try Ode to Laura and Leonidas II Octa with Odyssey for about a week. Both cables technically better than stock one but gave the sound in different direction. It's up to which characters you prefer the most.

OTL to me gave warmer and smooth presentation. It's like listening to large speaker further away than small desktop monitor speaker. Instruments separation is better you can easily feel more space between each instruments. Vocal is more laid back than stock one but all details still there. If you want musical feel where you can enjoy both music and vocal at the same time it might be good option.
>> It have weight and quite thick cables so less comfortable to wear than stock or LEO II Octa.

Leo II Octa the first thing I've notice is the improvement on vocal part especially female one. It's a bit forward with clear vocal detail than stock. You have more space between mid bass and vocal which is good for vocal track. I've enjoy this combination a lot when listen to vocal tracks esp Chinese female. However, for some tracks you may feel a bit lees bass than stock copper but not much. The details and clarity is better on Leo II Octa than stock and high still smooth without any harsh at all. However, when you listen to low quality tracks you can notice it more than stock. About Bass don't get me wrong bass still there and still great but I just feel some tracks have more fun when listening with copper cable. Leo II Octa is softer and feel lighter than OTH. (I do not have Leo II (4 wires) to test but feel it might be good option too)

Jan 7, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #37,328 of 40,591
I have a chance to try Ode to Laura and Leonidas II Octa with Odyssey for about a week. Both cables technically better than stock one but gave the sound in different direction. It's up to which characters you prefer the most.

OTL to me gave warmer and smooth presentation. It's like listening to large speaker further away than small desktop monitor speaker. Instruments separation is better you can easily feel more space between each instruments. Vocal is more laid back than stock one but all details still there. If you want musical feel where you can enjoy both music and vocal at the same time it might be good option.
>> It have weight and quite thick cables so less comfortable to wear than stock or LEO II Octa.

Leo II Octa the first thing I've notice is the improvement on vocal part especially female one. It's a bit forward with clear vocal detail than stock. You have more space between mid bass and vocal which is good for vocal track. I've enjoy this combination a lot when listen to vocal tracks esp Chinese female. However, for some tracks you may feel a bit lees bass than stock copper but not much. The details and clarity is better on Leo II Octa than stock and high still smooth without any harsh at all. However, when you listen to low quality tracks you can notice it more than stock. About Bass don't get me wrong bass still there and still great but I just feel some tracks have more fun when listening with copper cable. Leo II Octa is softer and feel lighter than OTH. (I do not have Leo II (4 wires) to test but feel it might be good option too)
Thank you, it sounds like I’m looking for an in-between of the two cables so maybe the PPH

Jan 10, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #37,332 of 40,591
Could you please tell how they affect the sound, in comparison to stock Final tips?
I decided to try CP-155 and you know what? They are going to trash. With CP-155 Odysseys loose all their bass impact! Hail to my new king - Final Type E. Sadly, CP-155 haves better fit for my ears, but I will not give up sound for fit.

Note: that is subjective opinion.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #37,333 of 40,591
I decided to try CP-155 and you know what? They are going to trash. With CP-155 Odysseys loose all their bass impact! Hail to my new king - Final Type E. Sadly, CP-155 haves better fit for my ears, but I will not give up sound for fit.

Note: that is subjective opinion.
Give the FAudio instrumental tips a try if you like the final E’s! They are like the finals but with a larger opening

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #37,334 of 40,591
Give the FAudio instrumental tips a try if you like the final E’s! They are like the finals but with a larger opening
Do you happen to have a recommended purchase link for these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back