Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 13, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #36,407 of 40,582
I just wonder how the hell EE managed to put all that stuff inside the shell.... I mean, EVO is missing the EST part (quite big, even with only 2 EST drivers there is still the eivec) and Odin is missing the W10 part (bigger than EST), and both are already very big IEMs....

anyway, finally I got to know what kind of BA EE is using (I'm assuming it's the same as in Odin).

all in all, I think this new Odyssey must be considered an Odin with BCD rather than an EVO with EST, given that BCD is a "refinement" while using an EST means a retuning.

Odyseey.jpg

Sep 13, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #36,412 of 40,582
Not an Odin and not an EVO. EE has more self respect than to make a lazy rehash and slap a collab status on it. Much different sounding and much more refined. Surprised they offered it for the Odin price considering what a whale this thing is inside. Good on them for not asking for $6k for what is in my opinion their best sounding product.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #36,413 of 40,582
Not an Odin and not an EVO. Much different sounding and much more refined. Surprised they offered it for the Odin price considering what a whale this thing is inside. Good on them for not asking for $6k for what is in my opinion their best sounding product.
Especially with AK involved. My wallet is going to crash with the new DAP and EE collab. At least, I can get a DAP and IEM for the price of some ridiculous IEMs.

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #36,414 of 40,582
Yup, bone conduction looks like the big one. Also sounds like they have an updated eivec controller for the electrostatic drivers for the highs. very curious to hear more impressions and how this being a collab with AK might impact tuning. Depending on how it is tuned, could look at it as more of a Odin with a bone conduction driver, or an EVO with electrostats, though from the cryptic comments of @CL14715 and the other few lucky ones that have heard it, it could be a new animal entirely tuning-wise. This seems like it has all the right ingredients for something special—EE is seemingly throwing everything in the toolbox into it.

This was our biggest hurdle with the Odyssey. We could not, for the life of us, get the W10 to communicate with the electrostats but we eventually had a breakthrough. This was a necessary step for the future of Empire Ears.

I see that the release says limited production? So that means it's a limited run?

There's only 1 production run and there's been no discussion of an additional. It is entirely at AK's discretion.

I heard a version of it last April when I visited Empire Ears in Norcross. IIFC, it did not sound at all like Odin or EVO. In fact, it was not what I would consider EE house sound. I found it to be complementary to EVO and Odin at the time and I liked it a lot. I plan on spending some quality time with it this weekend at CanJam Socal and will post impressions. I brought EVO, Odin and my Custom LX. I plan on comparing bass quality and quantity, upper mids and treble response on a relative basis as these are the areas which get a lot of feedback with Empire Ears IEMs. One of the prototypes I heard had a great mids focus. I cannot recall if it were this particular IEM. If it is, I will probably buy it.

Looking forward to your impressions. See you soon! :beerchug:

I just wonder how the hell EE managed to put all that stuff inside the shell.... I mean, EVO is missing the EST part (quite big, even with only 2 EST drivers there is still the eivec) and Odin is missing the W10 part (bigger than EST), and both are already very big IEMs....

The Odyssey uses a revised version of the EVO's housing with updated curvature for a more optimized fit. The components are packed to the brim and each pair takes an enormous amount of time to complete. It's truly a labor of love.

Not an Odin and not an EVO. EE has more self respect than to make a lazy rehash and slap a collab status on it. Much different sounding and much more refined. Surprised they offered it for the Odin price considering what a whale this thing is inside. Good on them for not asking for $6k for what is in my opinion their best sounding product.

Correct. The Odyssey is a completely original design.

Especially with AK involved. My wallet is going to crash with the new DAP and EE collab. At least, I can get a DAP and IEM for the price of some ridiculous IEMs.

It's been challenging to say the least but we're proud of the end result and we can't wait for you all to hear it.

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #36,415 of 40,582
This was our biggest hurdle with the Odyssey. We could not, for the life of us, get the W10 to communicate with the electrostats but we eventually had a breakthrough. This was a necessary step for the future of Empire Ears.

There's only 1 production run and there's been no discussion of an additional. It is entirely at AK's discretion.

The Odyssey uses a revised version of the EVO's housing with updated curvature for a more optimized fit. The components are packed to the brim and each pair takes an enormous amount of time to complete. It's truly a labor of love.

It's been challenging to say the least but we're proud of the end result and we can't wait for you all to hear it.
Holy sh@t! Look who emerged from the dungeon of IEM production hell 😂. Looking forward to seeing people get their hands on these. Truly a remarkable sound, design and overall end product.

Sep 13, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #36,416 of 40,582

Jack thanks.
Very much looking forward to hearing impressions from CanJam.
In the meantime, would you be willing to talk a bit about the intended sound signature of Odyssey, particularly relative to some of your other IEMs?

Sep 13, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #36,417 of 40,582
Jack thanks.
Very much looking forward to hearing impressions from CanJam.
In the meantime, would you be willing to talk a bit about the intended sound signature of Odyssey, particularly relative to some of your other IEMs?
Was literally writing out the same as you posted! Great minds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back