Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 11, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #35,672 of 40,606
May 11, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #35,674 of 40,606
May 12, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #35,675 of 40,606
Please PM me the dealer and customer info and i'll have it addressed ASAP
PM sent

Yes, this is customer support. Thank you Jack.

May 12, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #35,676 of 40,606
To save the honor of the German dealer:

I had a conversation with exactely that German dealer in order to inform him about the situation, that a customer is not satisfied with the cable he has received together with the Odin. Since this dealer has no head-fi.org account, he asked me to leave a comment to the discussion about the Odin with EA cable.

The German dealer told me: that the customer who wanted to buy an Odin, explicitly asked for a 3,5 mm terminated cable together with the Odin.
As the dealer told me, he informed the customer, that …

Odin is equipped with a 2,5 mm cable, normally, which could be switched to a 3,5 termination cable, if the customer wants to do so,
that the dealer has Empire Alpha cable with 3,5mm termination or ALO/Campfire Reference 8 with 3,5mm termination; or rather the 2.5mm Stormbreaker cable plus adapter to 3.5mm?
And the dealer informed the customer, that, If he wants the Stormbreaker cable instead, he can of course receive it.

I hope it's OK for you, that I have posted instead of the dealer.

May 12, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #35,677 of 40,606

I had a conversation with exactely that German dealer in order to inform him about the situation, that a customer is not satisfied with the cable he has received together with the Odin. Since this dealer has no head-fi.org account, he asked me to leave a comment to the discussion about the Odin with EA cable.

The German dealer told me: that the customer who wanted to buy an Odin, explicitly asked for a 3,5 mm terminated cable together with the Odin.

Odin is equipped with a 2,5 mm cable, normally, which could be switched to a 3,5 termination cable, if the customer wants to do so,
that the dealer has Empire Alpha cable with 3,5mm termination or ALO/Campfire Reference 8 with 3,5mm termination; or rather the 2.5mm Stormbreaker cable plus adapter to 3.5mm?
And the dealer informed the customer, that, If he wants the Stormbreaker cable instead, he can of course receive it.

@Jack Vang got a detailed PM from me with necessary background.

My friend is over 60 years old and do not know the difference between 2,5mm cable, 3,5mm cable, unbalanced, and balanced. He wanted a "normal" termination. "Normal" for a non-pro user like my friend is - as stupid as it sounds - "a cable that also fits into an iPhone or Samsung phone".

But as a serious dealer, you cannot charge the full price of 3400 euro for the Odin, where you
1) take out the 1300 euro Stormbreaker cable
2) put a 200-300 euro EA cable inside
3) and still charge the full price of 3400 euro

Is this what the HQ from Empire Ears wants in terms of customer treatment? I don't think so.

The correct solution would have been what @Deezel177 already mentioned:
If your friend wanted a 3.5mm plug, all the dealer had to do was package a Stormbreaker adapter with his purchase

I called the dealer as well and told him that we would like to have our stock cable and that we would like to give back this EA cable.
The answer was: "I don't know what the stock cable of the Odin is, I have to check this in my system first, but I can offer you a much better cable, the ALO/Campfire Reference 8. It is the most sold upgrade cable. People buy this cable to upgrade their stock Odin cable".

After this call, I decided to share the story here in this forum and get in touch with Empire and @Jack Vang.

May 12, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #35,678 of 40,606

You don't have to make excuses for a shop that isn't sincere.
If the shop is sincere from the beginning will substitute for something of equal value.
And must explain clearly the value of the product.
To deceive an old man who lack skills is a shame. :slight_frown:
if I'm in Germany , I won't use service from this shop.

Answer the question who gets the most benefit in this regard.
That is logic.

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #35,679 of 40,606
There is zero excuse to change the cable. It comes with the adaptor and the OG (did I use that correctly) wouldn’t have cared that it uses an adapter. That should have been explained up front. He’s lucky his shop name isn’t plastered all over this site and not just this thread. I wonder if this is an isolated incident or if he does this to others who aren’t up on cables.

If the shop owner was sincere, he would have swapped with an equally price cable. It’s not rocket science.

May 12, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #35,680 of 40,606
The answer was: "I don't know what the stock cable of the Odin is, I have to check this in my system first, but I can offer you a much better cable, the ALO/Campfire Reference 8. It is the most sold upgrade cable. People buy this cable to upgrade their stock Odin cable".
That sounds so, so suspicious. Half the people on this thread know what the ODIN’s stock cable is. How can an official Empire dealer not know? This just sounds like they were trying to clear out some of their leftover Reference 8 stock, and chose to take advantage of an uninformed customer.

May 12, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #35,681 of 40,606
@Jack Vang got a detailed PM from me with necessary background.

My friend is over 60 years old and do not know the difference between 2,5mm cable, 3,5mm cable, unbalanced, and balanced. He wanted a "normal" termination. "Normal" for a non-pro user like my friend is - as stupid as it sounds - "a cable that also fits into an iPhone or Samsung phone".

But as a serious dealer, you cannot charge the full price of 3400 euro for the Odin, where you
1) take out the 1300 euro Stormbreaker cable
2) put a 200-300 euro EA cable inside
3) and still charge the full price of 3400 euro

Is this what the HQ from Empire Ears wants in terms of customer treatment? I don't think so.

The correct solution would have been what @Deezel177 already mentioned:

I called the dealer as well and told him that we would like to have our stock cable and that we would like to give back this EA cable.

After this call, I decided to share the story here in this forum and get in touch with Empire and @Jack Vang.

Here.. let me swap out this $1300 cable and charge you full retail rather than:

A.) Offer an adapter and charge the appropriate amount OR gift it as a sign of building a relationship with new customer.
B.) Offer a new cable with 3.5mm termination and charge the difference for it OR gift it as a sign of building a relationship with new customer.
C.) Refund the balance of the cables resale value and thoroughly explain why this is a bad idea overall.

Seems legit.

Embarrassing that the dealer tried to save face but I am glad you aired that out and informed Jack. That's the kind of behavior that'll sever ties from a manufacturer allowing you to carry their product or profit off if it as a retailer.

May 12, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #35,683 of 40,606
you can fool some people all the time , you can fool all the people some time

but you can't fool all the people all the time

That German vendor deserves all the backlash he receives , this is unacceptable.

May 12, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #35,684 of 40,606

Users who are viewing this thread

Back