Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 10, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #35,656 of 40,560
I just bought an Empire Odin from a friend in mint condition.

So, I joined the club :)

I am a little bit confused regarding the cable and maybe an Odin owner can help me.

The package shows a 2,5mm balanced cable (see picture).

However, he bought an "high-end-cable" directly when he ordered the Odin from the headphone online shop.
Brand: Effect Audio
3,5mm - therefore unbalanced
See pictures.

As far as i understand, a balanced cable has more power and provides the better sound experience. Every cable I have for my other IEMs or headphones are either 2,5mm or 4,4mm balanced.

So I asked the online shop if I can switch the cable. He offered me the "ALO Audio Reference 8 In-Ear Cable - 2,5mm balanced / 2-pin"

Questions:
- How would you rank the Effect Audio cable I have?
- How much does this particular cable cost? I couldn't find the exact same cable online.
- What is your opinion about the Reference 8 cable?
- Does it worth a 1:1 exchange or should I sell my Effect Audio cable separately and buy another 2,5mm or 4,4mm balanced cable?
- Whoch 2,5mm / 4,4mm cable would you recommend for the Odin?

Can’t be sure but the wire looks like an Eros 2 except the Y-splitter is not the standard one. Not really Effect Audio maybe?

May 10, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #35,657 of 40,560
Can’t be sure but the wire looks like an Eros 2 except the Y-splitter is not the standard one. Not really Effect Audio maybe?
It's the Alpha IV cable, which is basically an Effect Audio cable that they're providing for certain EE IEMs. I believe the Valkyrie and the Bravado (among others) come stock with this cable.

I just bought an Empire Odin from a friend in mint condition.

So, I joined the club :)

I am a little bit confused regarding the cable and maybe an Odin owner can help me.

The package shows a 2,5mm balanced cable (see picture).

However, he bought an "high-end-cable" directly when he ordered the Odin from the headphone online shop.
Brand: Effect Audio
3,5mm - therefore unbalanced
See pictures.

As far as i understand, a balanced cable has more power and provides the better sound experience. Every cable I have for my other IEMs or headphones are either 2,5mm or 4,4mm balanced.

So I asked the online shop if I can switch the cable. He offered me the "ALO Audio Reference 8 In-Ear Cable - 2,5mm balanced / 2-pin"

Questions:
- How would you rank the Effect Audio cable I have?
- How much does this particular cable cost? I couldn't find the exact same cable online.
- What is your opinion about the Reference 8 cable?
- Does it worth a 1:1 exchange or should I sell my Effect Audio cable separately and buy another 2,5mm or 4,4mm balanced cable?
- Whoch 2,5mm / 4,4mm cable would you recommend for the Odin?

You can try searching for other Alpha IV cables on the classifieds to see what prices you could possibly sell this cable at. ALO Audio cables aren't my favorite, because of how springy they tend to be. The Stormbreaker that @CL14715 linked would be the ODIN's stock cable. But, if you don't wanna spend that much, you have options like Effect Audio's EVO10, which I like with the ODIN, or Eletech's Socrates, which'll give you a bit more energy and contrast. You can also ask @doctorjuggles for a price on the 2-wire Cardas Clear, which'll give you the same conductors as the Stormbreaker.

May 10, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #35,658 of 40,560
Stormbreakers sell for $400-500 in the For Sale thread. I bought an unused one but often they are just lightly used. Or get the real thing and buy a PWA 1960 for $1K+. It also depends on what source you are using.

May 10, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #35,660 of 40,560
It's the Alpha IV cable, which is basically an Effect Audio cable that they're providing for certain EE IEMs. I believe the Valkyrie and the Bravado (among others) come stock with this cable.

You can try searching for other Alpha IV cables on the classifieds to see what prices you could possibly sell this cable at. ALO Audio cables aren't my favorite, because of how springy they tend to be. The Stormbreaker that @CL14715 linked would be the ODIN's stock cable. But, if you don't wanna spend that much, you have options like Effect Audio's EVO10, which I like with the ODIN, or Eletech's Socrates, which'll give you a bit more energy and contrast. You can also ask @doctorjuggles for a price on the 2-wire Cardas Clear, which'll give you the same conductors as the Stormbreaker.
Eletech Socrates has been back ordered for 2 months (Bloom Audio is the vendor in tbe US, Eletech is not accepting orders) due to embargo of Pentaconn connectors (parts) in Shanghai due to the extended shutdown there (I know this because I ordered one in late March and am still waiting). Probably worth the wait…

May 11, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #35,661 of 40,560
That is not the standard cable. Unless you got a real good deal you might want to get the cable from them that came with Odin. The cable you pictured is a basic cable…. Not high end.
The dealer in Germany is the one and only authorized dealer from Empire who took the full price: 3399 Euro.
Not really Effect Audio maybe?
I mean it is written on it. I am confused as well.

Thank you for these recommendations. I will compare them.

However, I see another problem here. The friend of mine is not a pro in the IEM world at all and asked the dealer kindly if he can get a 3,5mm cable. The dealer took the FULL PRICE and gave this probably much cheaper cable from Effect Audio.

So, I will ask the dealer to give the stock cable rather than the ALO Audio Reference 8 cable. And I will send back the Effect Audio cable to the dealer.

It also depends on what source you are using.
Fiio M17 and Sony WM1Z (WM1ZM2 soon).

Still curious what he paid without one. Also curious if any audio retailer was involved.
This is what confuses me most. It is the one and only official Empire certified partner / dealer in Germany who took the full price but gave a "relatively cheap" cable.

May 11, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #35,662 of 40,560
The dealer in Germany is the one and only authorized dealer from Empire who took the full price: 3399 Euro.

I mean it is written on it. I am confused as well.

Thank you for these recommendations. I will compare them.

However, I see another problem here. The friend of mine is not a pro in the IEM world at all and asked the dealer kindly if he can get a 3,5mm cable. The dealer took the FULL PRICE and gave this probably much cheaper cable from Effect Audio.

So, I will ask the dealer to give the stock cable rather than the ALO Audio Reference 8 cable. And I will send back the Effect Audio cable to the dealer.

Fiio M17 and Sony WM1Z (WM1ZM2 soon).

This is what confuses me most. It is the one and only official Empire certified partner / dealer in Germany who took the full price but gave a "relatively cheap" cable.
Oh, so your friend never got the Stormbreaker when he purchased it? The dealer swapped it out for the Alpha IV and he still paid full price? I think that’s a massive issue. You should contact EE directly (or @Jack Vang could maybe chime in here) to see whether there was some sort of misunderstanding, or if there was malice involved. If your friend wanted a 3.5mm plug, all the dealer had to do was package a Stormbreaker adapter with his purchase:

5EE7EEEA-F455-4B43-BB87-FB1D442E3BA9.png

It’s a bit suspicious for the dealer not to offer this as an option, but to swap the cable out for a less premium one instead. I don’t believe that’s ever been possible with the ODIN, as the cables are bulk-ordered to match the IEM stock. So, yeah, I’d recommend asking for some clarity from your dealer and EE.

May 11, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #35,663 of 40,560
Oh, so your friend never got the Stormbreaker when he purchased it?
Exactly, he never got the Stormbreaker / stock cable at all. He does not even know that such a cable exists.

This friend is just over 60 years old and wanted to enter into the audiophile world. When you life in Germany and search for IEMs, it is basically one of the biggest dealers + the only official Empire certified partner. He called the dealer and made clear that he does not have any clue about IEMs but wants an excellent IEM he can be proud of. The dealer recommended the Odin that comes with a 2,5mm cable (as printed on the box as you can see above in the picture (former post)). However, the friend doesn't even know what a balanced cable is actually and wanted a "normal" cable. The dealer said that he can "fulfill this customer wish, of course"... he simply swapped the Stormbreaker against the Effect Audio cable shown above and that's it :frowning2:

May 11, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #35,664 of 40,560
Exactly, he never got the Stormbreaker / stock cable at all. He does not even know that such a cable exists.

This friend is just over 60 years old and wanted to enter into the audiophile world. When you life in Germany and search for IEMs, it is basically one of the biggest dealers + the only official Empire certified partner. He called the dealer and made clear that he does not have any clue about IEMs but wants an excellent IEM he can be proud of. The dealer recommended the Odin that comes with a 2,5mm cable (as printed on the box as you can see above in the picture (former post)). However, the friend doesn't even know what a balanced cable is actually and wanted a "normal" cable. The dealer said that he can "fulfill this customer wish, of course"... he simply swapped the Stormbreaker against the Effect Audio cable shown above and that's it :frowning2:
Unfortunately, your friend was fooled by a bad shop and then switch to a cheaper cable .

Might use Stormbreakers with the converter, it's done , without the need to switch cables. :sweat:

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #35,665 of 40,560
Unfortunately, your friend was fooled by a bad shop and then switch to a line with an inferior price.

Might use Stormbreakers With the converter, it's done , without the need to switch cables. :sweat:
He didn't get the Stormbreaker cable at all as mentioned above. Only the Effect Audio cable.

May 11, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #35,667 of 40,560
awesome , cable not has defect , no need
They already have, the western audience just doesn't like the upper mids.

You're inevitably going to have the western audience complaining there isn't enough bass and too many upper mids or

The asian audience complaining about there not being enough upper mids.

Evo and Odin covers both of those already imo

I hope not. The Odin was already a once in a lifetime purchase for me. Putting a BCD in there is going to break my soul. On the other hand, Wraith MKII with the updated estats.....
I don’t see a MK for at least a year or more. That’s a long time in the IEM world. I’m using mine more and more during the day. Only 2 channel for me at night. Lol. As for not getting the Stormbreaker, I’m so sorry to hear that. For my ears, it’s simply a perfect fit for the Odins. I don’t have many cables, but I did try them all and none worked nearly as well. A major cable manufacturer is trying to get into the portable market and will be sending me various prototypes I believe. If they see a profit in this segment, they will be offering incredible values and product. I think it’s only. 30% chance they do this. There are just so many great smaller companies who are making great sounding cables already. I love the Effect Audio guys work a whole lot, plus they are great guys to boot. I love reading this thread as it keeps reminding me how differently we hear based on everything, but especially where are genetics are from. Thanks to all you great posters.

May 11, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #35,668 of 40,560

This is what I suspected. He got taken for a ride because of his lack of knowledge about the product. That’s a huge issue.

May 11, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #35,669 of 40,560
This is what I suspected. He got taken for a ride because of his lack of knowledge about the product. That’s a huge issue.
100%

May 11, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #35,670 of 40,560

Please PM me the dealer and customer info and i'll have it addressed ASAP

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back