Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 9, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #34,351 of 40,581
Evo.jpeg
Something which I never thought would happen … I own three IEMs and these are all from the same brand. Therefore, it is time to make the big shootout between Legend X Second Edition, Odin and Evo. I have by no means trained ears but I do know what I like and what not.

The test song was Joseph Arthur- “You are not the only one”. For those interested: Joseph Arthur - You're Not The Only One - YouTube . I listened to the track over and over, changing the three IEMs every 3-4 minutes. It proved to be an efficient way since I started to know the song and the different traits of the monitors rather well. Source was my trusted FiiO M15 using a hi-res file and not YouTube.

The song has highly distorted guitars, a very distinct bassline and percussions coming from the back, left and right. It can be tight and confined (coming close to claustrophobic) or wide and drawn out like from a gigantic stage.

Straight to the point, the sound: The Odin gives the most airy and wide presentation, the distorted guitars float around you, as do the percussions (coming nicely from the left and right far out there). All is sparkly with a certain zing to the instruments, giving them sufficient body.

The Evo is tighter in the presentation and definitely less airy. The Odin would be the outdoor stage and the Evo the indoor basement club. Not surprisingly, the bass is much stronger here with lot of hefts to it. Details are all there, but in a smaller setting, less airy and less grand. But the sound is very full-bodied, complete in its own way.

The LXSE sits in the middle – less stage than the Odin (and also more from left and right instead of top bottom sound which does the Odin so well) and less air, but more wideness between instruments than the Evo. The bass hits hard as it is the trait of the LX. It is technically less capable than the Evo, I am told, but in terms of sound presentation it sits in between two extremes with this song.

Now, let’s come to the next point – comfort. Here the ranking is LXSE, Odin and Evo at the last place. The LXSE for me has just the right fit, I used it for hiking and other activities with no issues. The Odin is larger but relatively light and carries its weight via the plugs. The Evo has a similar shape to the Odin but is heavier – with the weight all falling onto the plugs it creates a feeling of heaviness in the ear. Indoors ok for a certain while – outside, maybe not. It is too new to decide this so early.

So, the bottomline is, don’t write off your Legend X just yet. It might be technically a tad less capable but provides for me, on this track, the best performance if I consider price and mobility. As said, for me it sat in presentation just between Odin and Evo which just felt right. However, from experience I do know that the Odin is vastly superior when listening to classical music and the Evo shines with Rock, Accoustic.
I don't own the SE but I've been enjoying the OG immensely lately. It was not the case for a few months, but something has changed and I like it. Haha

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #34,352 of 40,581
Evo.jpeg
Something which I never thought would happen … I own three IEMs and these are all from the same brand. Therefore, it is time to make the big shootout between Legend X Second Edition, Odin and Evo. I have by no means trained ears but I do know what I like and what not.

The test song was Joseph Arthur- “You are not the only one”. For those interested: Joseph Arthur - You're Not The Only One - YouTube . I listened to the track over and over, changing the three IEMs every 3-4 minutes. It proved to be an efficient way since I started to know the song and the different traits of the monitors rather well. Source was my trusted FiiO M15 using a hi-res file and not YouTube.

The song has highly distorted guitars, a very distinct bassline and percussions coming from the back, left and right. It can be tight and confined (coming close to claustrophobic) or wide and drawn out like from a gigantic stage.

Straight to the point, the sound: The Odin gives the most airy and wide presentation, the distorted guitars float around you, as do the percussions (coming nicely from the left and right far out there). All is sparkly with a certain zing to the instruments, giving them sufficient body.

The Evo is tighter in the presentation and definitely less airy. The Odin would be the outdoor stage and the Evo the indoor basement club. Not surprisingly, the bass is much stronger here with lot of hefts to it. Details are all there, but in a smaller setting, less airy and less grand. But the sound is very full-bodied, complete in its own way.

The LXSE sits in the middle – less stage than the Odin (and also more from left and right instead of top bottom sound which does the Odin so well) and less air, but more wideness between instruments than the Evo. The bass hits hard as it is the trait of the LX. It is technically less capable than the Evo, I am told, but in terms of sound presentation it sits in between two extremes with this song.

Now, let’s come to the next point – comfort. Here the ranking is LXSE, Odin and Evo at the last place. The LXSE for me has just the right fit, I used it for hiking and other activities with no issues. The Odin is larger but relatively light and carries its weight via the plugs. The Evo has a similar shape to the Odin but is heavier – with the weight all falling onto the plugs it creates a feeling of heaviness in the ear. Indoors ok for a certain while – outside, maybe not. It is too new to decide this so early.

So, the bottomline is, don’t write off your Legend X just yet. It might be technically a tad less capable but provides for me, on this track, the best performance if I consider price and mobility. As said, for me it sat in presentation just between Odin and Evo which just felt right. However, from experience I do know that the Odin is vastly superior when listening to classical music and the Evo shines with Rock, Accoustic.
Nice. How much playtime/burn-in has your EVO has so far? Not questioning your findings, just asking for clarity. I'll give this song a play on EVO and LX later today to get a feel for what you're hearing.

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #34,355 of 40,581

Thanks. I may actually look to buy the one you mentioned and get Amazon to import it. I did try two similar ones on Amazon and both didn’t actually fit a 4.4mm cable jack despite them saying they would :frowning2:

Nov 9, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #34,357 of 40,581
Try revisit the comparison when your EVO have 100-150h on them. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Same as the Odin in my experience.

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #34,358 of 40,581
I don't own the SE but I've been enjoying the OG immensely lately. It was not the case for a few months, but something has changed and I like it. Haha
C0440F04-EEED-4A44-AFD3-DF51C43B8B52.jpeg

I’ve been enjoying my OG as well. It’s highlighted the advancements made in the EVO as much as how far EE was ahead of the times with LX.

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #34,359 of 40,581
Hi, I'm going replace the Ares II with the PW No.10 4 wire for my LX. Has anyone experience, and what might I expect with this pairing?
I've searched everywhere for any sliver of info on this match but couldn't find any.
I'm actually hoping it's sonics will be similar to the stock cable.
Thanks!

Nov 10, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #34,360 of 40,581
Quite straightforward: 750 Hz +2 dB, 3 kHz -3 dB. Q values of 1. I do adjust them up and down, still playing around with it. And for a lot of music I don't need it at all. Easy to toggle on/off.
Tried this last night (at least the -3dB at 3kHz) and gosh darn it I believe I'm hearing a very pleasant (albeit subtle) difference! The sounds around the upper mids are no longer strident, as if a slight edge has been taken off, without any loss in clarity. It makes EVO even more balanced. I'm going to try upping 750Hz next to see what it does. Thanks for the tip, and let me know how you go.

Nov 10, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #34,361 of 40,581
Evo.jpeg
Something which I never thought would happen … I own three IEMs and they are even from the same brand. Therefore, it is time to make the big shootout between Legend X Special Edition, Odin and Evo. I have by no means trained ears but I do know what I like and what not.

So, the bottom-line is, don’t write off your Legend X / LXSE just yet. It might be technically a tad less capable but provides for me, on this track, the best performance if I consider price and mobility. As said, for me it sat in presentation just between Odin and Evo which just felt right. However, from experience I do know that the Odin is vastly superior when listening to classical music and the Evo shines with rock, acoustic.
I have this exact same setup and almost draw the same conclusions. I have moved the LXSE to my EDC spot(replacing my 64 Trio...classifieds soon). These 3 are staying and only other non-custom IEM in collection surviving the purge will be my Z1R..first love and still has a special sound not replicated by anything else. I thought the LXSE would be sold but its still a special piece and the comfort for me is so far ahead of both Odin and EVO for everyday, out the house use. Its great enough that, even though the other 2 are better in most areas, I don't miss them when I'm with just the LXSE.

Nov 10, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #34,362 of 40,581
Tried this last night (at least the -3dB at 3kHz) and gosh darn it I believe I'm hearing a very pleasant (albeit subtle) difference! The sounds around the upper mids are no longer strident, as if a slight edge has been taken off, without any loss in clarity. It makes EVO even more balanced. I'm going to try upping 750Hz next to see what it does. Thanks for the tip, and let me know how you go.
Good to hear. That's exactly what it does, take the edge off. It's not needed at all times, but really helps for some songs or albums. The 3k area is the more important tweak of the two, for me.

Nov 10, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #34,363 of 40,581
Good to hear. That's exactly what it does, take the edge off. It's not needed at all times, but really helps for some songs or albums. The 3k area is the more important tweak of the two, for me.
Yes, I tried the 750Hz tweak and it either doesn't make that much difference or adds a touch of thickness I can do without. Island is still intolerable with any of my IEMs though, not least EVO...that song is unsavable 😝

Nov 10, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #34,364 of 40,581

EQ is your friend and this is coming from someone who spent his career in high end home audio where such practices are verboten.

Nov 10, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #34,365 of 40,581
So my demo set of Evo's are off to the next lucky person and I have ordered a new set for myself as I enjoyed them so much.

This brings me on to the next issue....comfort. I can listen to my Odin's for 8hrs and have no real issues. Some small fatigue from the pressure my spinfit tips apply to the inside of my ear but that is it. The Evo's are bigger and don't sit quite so nicely and after 3hrs or so, I can certainly feel some slight discomfort. What tips are people using with the Evo compared to the Odins? CP145's have been brilliant for me on the Odins.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back