Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 18, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #33,946 of 40,730
Thank you. I used a LPTG Ti and L&P W2.

It may seem like a weird choice but I wanted the focus to be on the EVO. Tried something a little different this time. Maybe I’ll go back and add it 😜
I like the approach! Like you said in the review, the focus is on the EVO and not the variables. As someone that probably wouldn't cable roll, it was a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #33,947 of 40,730
Oct 18, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #33,948 of 40,730
I suspect you might find the R01 stage lacking in size with EVO, if the RS6 is anything to go by, but await your feedback.
I don't think I've read any impressions of R01 board and cramped soundstage, and I don't have it available, though I believe several folks in the first wave use the N6ii.

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #33,949 of 40,730
I don't think I've read any impressions of R01 board and cramped soundstage, and I don't have it available, though I believe several folks in the first wave use the N6ii.
Its a little cramped at 1st. Intimate. Then expands. I remember it being an area of contention for me, and now its not. I’d say its on par with the shanling m8 stage or very close. You’re not going to feel like you are missing anything.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #33,950 of 40,730
Elysian Acoustic Labs X vs Empire Ears Legend EVO
DSC06307 (1).JPG

I wanted to share my comparison of both sets as for me they compete in the same place for the music library.
I only used the N6ii R1 for the A/B testing.
First, the obvious:
The EVO is not uncomfortable, but not comfortable. You will not forget you have something in your ears. But not worse than the Odin. At the opposite, the X have a great fit.
While I like the cable, the chin slide feels cheap and doesn’t stay in place, a bit frustrating.
The Evo doesn’t need power, to volume match I was at 15 with Evo, 25 with X.
Cable wise, it is still a win for the X. The Venom is gorgeous and pleasant to manipulate. However I like the PW audio termination with the rubber sleeve which makes it easy to unplug.

Few songs comparison, I tried to stay away from my rock/vocal collection as the Trailli owns this area for me.

Say my name – David Guetta/Bebe Rexha
The drum is more powerful with the EVO, however it is satisfying enough with the X.
The other instruments are not as forward with the EVO, with a slightly warmer presentation.
Rexha’s voice sounds a bit better with the X.

Island life – Atomic Drum Assembly
With the X, the clapping and higher frequency drives the show while with the EVO you hear the drum more and it is taking the lead.
The song ends up very different between both sets. But no preference.

Conquistador – Thirty Seconds to Mars
With the EVO: Bassy presentation. The vocal really falls behind. Violin is quiet.
For sure when you switch back to the X you feel like you are missing some rumble and bass, but it is much cleaner. That said, I could understand why some would prefer the EVO.

Four Letter Words – K.Flay
The bass saturates with the EVO on this song (more than the X, the song is mixed like that)
On the X, I hear a better balance between instruments. More pleasant listening.
Very interesting how major the difference can be depending of the song.

Palm Reader – Dreamers
On this one, the clean drum is giving an advantage to the Evo.
Male vocal is a bit behind, however the echo of the female singer is easier to catch.
At the end, I guess I prefer the Evo version of this song as it is really bass driven.

Around the World/Harder Better Faster Stronger – Daft Punk (live essentials version)
Excellent with the Evo, definitely the kind of song it is built for. Club electro bass.
Especially 03:05. The same fun you have with a speaker setup (I did not say it sounds the same!)
With the X, you still reach a very fun level and always the clean, more detailed presentation. You will hear the crowd better.
The X fails to be fun at 03:05.

Adrenaline – X Ambassadors
The drum comes a bit too strong with the EVO. Another song where the EVO is pushing too much the bass, sounding harsh, while it comes up very balanced and pleasant with the X.

Lost Cause – Billie Eilish
No surprise, the bass are more present with the EVO. Again, warmer voice for Billie, but not a problem.
Both sets are giving a good experience with this song. No winner.

Ani Mevushal – Infected Mushroom
I was expecting the EVO to win this one easy, but in fact no, It ends up more energized with the X.

Holiday – Green Day
Too warm for my taste. It feels like male singer sounds muffled with the EVO, while female are just a bit warmer. Dunno if I hear it right.
I prefer the drums with the X.

Cyanide – Creeper
I was expecting to have the same as Holiday but not at all. The male’s voice comes up nice, same with instruments. The bass comes up great and carry the song, allowing each instrument to find their places.

Run Boy Run – Woodkid
The drums in the background are more present with the EVO, however it does not change much to the song compared to the X. The percussions will “clap” more with the X as well as the string instruments more vibrant.

Last one, I promise

Love Again – Dua Lipa (Imanbek version)
The Evo will one up the bass, but if I stop A/B testing I will be very happy with the X. And for the voice, I will prefer (slightly) the X. While I can listen in repeat this song with the X. I would probably stop faster with the EVO due to the bass.

Summary?
Hard to say, I would not declare one clearly above the other in enough categories to stop using the other.
They have songs they shine with.
On K Pop, I would go for the X. For House/dance probably the EVO.

I did not mention it before, but of course the EVO won against the LXSE without any real competition. It is a major step up in everything (but the fit) The LXSE is boxed, ready to be sold, no regret.
The EVO is not for all music (for me) but I have to recognize the improvement from the LX.

My heart still goes to the X for multiple reasons, but I will be happy to take the EVO for a ride when I want to discover songs with some bass emphasis.

Oct 19, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #33,952 of 40,730
Yeah cramped was probably the wrong word, but more intimate/compact by direct comparison with the R8 (which is one of the R8's strengths). This is not a reference to N6ii R01, but since RS6 is based on the R01 board, there are likely similarities between the two.

Oct 19, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #33,953 of 40,730
Yeah cramped was probably the wrong word, but more intimate/compact by direct comparison with the R8 (which is one of the R8's strengths). This is not a reference to N6ii R01, but since RS6 is based on the R01 board, there are likely similarities between the two.
I haven't been following the RS6 discussion, but are you saying that Hiby have based their design on the Cayin R01 board? Is there a link between these companies I'm not aware of?

Oct 19, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #33,954 of 40,730
I haven't been following the RS6 discussion, but are you saying that Hiby have based their design on the Cayin R01 board? Is there a link between these companies I'm not aware of?
HiBy and Cayin are sister companies.

Oct 19, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #33,955 of 40,730
Oct 19, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #33,956 of 40,730
Your can ask @Joshyy73 about his experience with the N6ii-Ti and EVO. 😉👍

Sure thing! I am currently using the EVO with the Cayin N6ii Ti and R01 board. Hence my impressions below are only with this setup. I can confirm that the R01 board requires a bit of burn in (approx 20hrs) before it really opens up. In my time using the EVO + N6ii Ti (R01) pairing, it has produced sublime sound across all frequencies and across all music genres. I am mainly listening to classical, EDM, pop and hip hop music. The sound stage for me is not closed at all. It is wide and and tall. You get a good sense of space but it is not overdone either. Bass-wise, you get really deep sub bass and great bass texture and layering. To me, my music sounds "fuller" and with more "body". Mids are super smooth, well separated, detailed and forward enough for my liking. Treble sounds a tad relaxed coming from the Odin but it fits well with the overall signature of the EVO. I have had no issues with sibilance so far but I might not be as sensitive as others. On tracks such as "Hans Zimmer - Time", you can appreciate these qualities; Bass, sound stage and mids. Bass is present and layered enough that you feel the impact of the drums and the relevant ochestral instruments which provide foundation to the track. Soundstage wise, you always have a good sense where the guitar, violin and background vocals sit and they are presented very nicely. The most impressive piece for me is how the bass can be so deep and textured without blurring out the mids and treble.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #33,957 of 40,730
Excellent review CL! Concise, descriptive and pretty much exactly how I hear it. And your point about responsible volume level and real instruments - spot on! Those cymbal crashes will kill you if you're over earger on the volume dial. For me, EVO makes it possible to listen at very safe levels without sacrificing much by way of bass power, whereas I always felt the LX had to be cranked up to juice the subwoofers, a point that's often missed and one that I'll be sure to highlight in my review.

Oct 19, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #33,958 of 40,730
Excellent review CL! Concise, descriptive and pretty much exactly how I hear it. And your point about responsible volume level and real instruments - spot on! Those cymbal crashes will kill you if you're over earger on the volume dial. For me, EVO makes it possible to listen at very safe levels without sacrificing much by way of bass power, whereas I always felt the LX had to be cranked up to juice the subwoofers, a point that's often missed and one that I'll be sure to highlight in my review.
Much appreciated. I look forward to yours as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back