Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 15, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #29,402 of 40,729
These look super sick. Like a nebula...is this your design or did Dean design it?

The Anix sounds pretty slick. Might have go spin this tonight.

For those who like some harder (not too hard) music. The Silent Theory sound fantastic on the LX.
https://www.deezer.com/album/218119212

I’ve never heard of Silent Theory, but I listened to the first few tracks and I’m impressed. I’ve added this album to my Tidal collection.

May 15, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #29,403 of 40,729
I repurchased the LX I sold in February, and it just arrived... :) This unit comes with a rather stiff 3.5 mm cable. What is the best cable pairing in your opinion, dear LX owners?
The 1950’s pairs well with the LX. Another PW cable that goes well is the Stormbreaker. I actually listened to LX + Stormbreaker a lot more than I did with the Odin.

May 15, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #29,404 of 40,729
I’ve never heard of Silent Theory, but I listened to the first few tracks and I’m impressed. I’ve added this album to my Tidal collection.
They are pretty tight. Glad i could be of of use. :) The new dreamshade is good stuff, too but if too heavy then Damn Nation.

I have consulted Skedra who is going to make a 4core silver cable for my LX. Whether or not it will improve sound is one thing but looking forward to a more workable cable than my Thor.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #29,405 of 40,729
They are pretty tight. Glad i could be of of use. :) The new dreamshade is good stuff, too but if too heavy then Damn Nation.

I have consulted Skedra who is going to make a 4core silver cable for my LX. Whether or not it will improve sound is one thing but looking forward to a more workable cable than my Thor.
Skedra made my LX cable. It’ll without a doubt be better.

May 15, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #29,407 of 40,729
I had the EE Bravado MKII on a short loan (maybe I’ll get a longer loan later on) from @SBranson

Thank you @SBranson !!!

I was directly comparing them to the Dorado 2020.

I really enjoyed the Bravado, in particular:
- lots of clarity and detail
- lots of vertical space, some to the side, good depth (nothing crazy)
- very clear vocals and good separation
- bass is a bit less integrated (than the Dorado 2020). The kick drum stands out. Seems to be a bit of a dip is upper/mid bass.
- I love the treble, almost too much but it’s actually just right
- wow I love the mids.
- strings sound natural and real
- sounds like speakers more than most I really enjoy this presentation. Sometimes this sounds a bit artificial though.

Bravado MKII vrs CFA Dorado 2020
  • Wow. So much fuller with the Dorado. The EE sound a bit thin going to the Dorado to the EE. Going from the EE to the Dorado the Dorado sounds a bit tight.
  • Miss the estats on the EEs
  • I really do like how full and rich the Dorado sounds. It does have the natural sound that almost tricks you.
  • The EEs sound a lot thinner, there is more space more clarity and more separation
  • The CFA Dorado smaller sound stage. Less separation but this could also be seen as a good thing as it is more natural. More cohesive.
  • I can definitely understand Jeff’s (@Rockwell75 ) idea about having both the Elysium and the Dorado. They are so different. I really do miss the estat with the Dorado. There is something about that estat that I just can’t get enough of. Wow.
  • Now I want CFA to release a IEM with an Estat. lol
  • The Dorado is a lot more dynamic, it’s wildly dynamic compared to the EEs. The EE sounds good but then you get to a dynamic spot in music I heard it on “Stopover at Djibouti” on Anouar Brahem’s “Astounding Eyes of Rita”
  • This dynamism really becomes obvious when you listen to sparse music with pluckings of strings
  • Cymbal hits on the Dorado sound so real
  • I’m definitely having more fun with the Dorado
  • The Dorado 2020 DEMANDS POWER it really needs more than what the Sony NW-ZX507 can provide.
  • The Dorado due to the port is much less isolating. You don’t get that same closed off from the outside world. This is a plus and a negative. For me more of a negative I’d say. I like the sound isolation of IEMs it’s one of my favourite things about IEMs.
  • So much DEPTH in the Dorados it just goes on forever.
  • “Bahia” by Anouar Brahem on his “Blue Mquams” album is just amazing. I this is a good test track between EE & Dorado to try!
  • On the Bravado the kick drum and snare sound good. But those kind of stick out. Less cohesion. On the Dorado it is so full and cohesive. EE sounds thin going from the Dorado.
  • The EE can sound a bit artificial
  • Definitely prefer the Dorado. Miss the estats. When I listen to the Dorado I miss the soundscape.

May 16, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #29,408 of 40,729
I had the EE Bravado MKII on a short loan (maybe I’ll get a longer loan later on) from @SBranson

Thank you @SBranson !!!

I was directly comparing them to the Dorado 2020.

I really enjoyed the Bravado, in particular:
- lots of clarity and detail
- lots of vertical space, some to the side, good depth (nothing crazy)
- very clear vocals and good separation
- bass is a bit less integrated (than the Dorado 2020). The kick drum stands out. Seems to be a bit of a dip is upper/mid bass.
- I love the treble, almost too much but it’s actually just right
- wow I love the mids.
- strings sound natural and real
- sounds like speakers more than most I really enjoy this presentation. Sometimes this sounds a bit artificial though.

Bravado MKII vrs CFA Dorado 2020
  • Wow. So much fuller with the Dorado. The EE sound a bit thin going to the Dorado to the EE. Going from the EE to the Dorado the Dorado sounds a bit tight.
  • Miss the estats on the EEs
  • I really do like how full and rich the Dorado sounds. It does have the natural sound that almost tricks you.
  • The EEs sound a lot thinner, there is more space more clarity and more separation
  • The CFA Dorado smaller sound stage. Less separation but this could also be seen as a good thing as it is more natural. More cohesive.
  • I can definitely understand Jeff’s (@Rockwell75 ) idea about having both the Elysium and the Dorado. They are so different. I really do miss the estat with the Dorado. There is something about that estat that I just can’t get enough of. Wow.
  • Now I want CFA to release a IEM with an Estat. lol
  • The Dorado is a lot more dynamic, it’s wildly dynamic compared to the EEs. The EE sounds good but then you get to a dynamic spot in music I heard it on “Stopover at Djibouti” on Anouar Brahem’s “Astounding Eyes of Rita”
  • This dynamism really becomes obvious when you listen to sparse music with pluckings of strings
  • Cymbal hits on the Dorado sound so real
  • I’m definitely having more fun with the Dorado
  • The Dorado 2020 DEMANDS POWER it really needs more than what the Sony NW-ZX507 can provide.
  • The Dorado due to the port is much less isolating. You don’t get that same closed off from the outside world. This is a plus and a negative. For me more of a negative I’d say. I like the sound isolation of IEMs it’s one of my favourite things about IEMs.
  • So much DEPTH in the Dorados it just goes on forever.
  • “Bahia” by Anouar Brahem on his “Blue Mquams” album is just amazing. I this is a good test track between EE & Dorado to try!
  • On the Bravado the kick drum and snare sound good. But those kind of stick out. Less cohesion. On the Dorado it is so full and cohesive. EE sounds thin going from the Dorado.
  • The EE can sound a bit artificial
  • Definitely prefer the Dorado. Miss the estats. When I listen to the Dorado I miss the soundscape.
Could you compare the sub-bass to other CA (e.g. Atlas) or Empire Ears products?

May 16, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #29,409 of 40,729
Could you compare the sub-bass to other CA (e.g. Atlas) or Empire Ears products?

Unfortunately I cannot. I haven’t heard any of those.

May 16, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #29,410 of 40,729
I'm afraid it's a one-of-a-kind cable (actually two-of-a-kind since @saltyfr0g also has one). As far as I know, there won't be any more like it, mainly because the Paracording process is too cumbersome. That said, I'm sure you can have a 2w or 4w Cardas Clear cable made, just without the Paracord. No need to PM me, rather PM @doctorjuggles directly. Meanwhile, I'll leave you with another postcard. Impressions coming soon.

1621117225027_DJCables_21.jpg

Thank for your shared, i'll send MP to him soon 👍

May 16, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #29,412 of 40,729
Valkyrie still has the thin mids that plagued the original Valkyrie.

May 16, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #29,414 of 40,729
Do EE do Black Friday sales?
How much discount is it if they do?
I am looking at valkyrie mkii over Dorado but I can get Dorado at $750 ish on ebay so quite big jump to the valkyrie mkii
They do. 20% off universals and 15% off customs if I remember that right. And like last years there should also be a 4th July sale with similar discounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back