Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 17, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #25,996 of 40,713
Hello guys, is there any comparison between Sultan and Odin? I didnt't find anything about, and i would like to understand if the juice is worth the squeeze. Thank you!
Well if @doctorjuggles mentions me then of course I will come out of Head-Fi semi retirement and respond. I see @Damz87 wrote something. I have not read it yet since that might tint my lens. I almost wrote "taint" instead of tint but "taint" and "Damz" do not go together. Damz tends to be relatively objective when it comes to his own biases :) I trust what he wrote without even reading it. I do know that Damz and I like to have a variety of IEMs with a variety of signatures. That adds to the pleasure of it all.

I may have written something before concerning Sultan and Odin but that was probably in my Gaga GooGoo phase of the Odin. I know the Odin super well now and feel more mature about our relationship. I still fall asleep with her in my ears even after being together for so long. I enjoy reading initial love lust impressions of IEMs but I get more out of mature relationship impressions of IEMs.

IMHO both Sultan and Odin are top notch IEMs. I have been to bed with numerous top notch IEMs and they both belong. To me the Sultan is more 3 D. The sound is not left or right but it is left, right, forwards, backwards, up and down. The Odin is more intimate and the stage is wider but not 3D. The notes on the Sultan stay longer than the Odin. The Sultan has extremely special treble. I have zero complaints about the Odin treble. The Sultan bass is more encompassing. It is more impactful with more mid bass hit with sub bass rumble thrown in. The Odin bass is more sub bass with less overall bass but UNBELIEVABLY visceral. I feel the movement of air with the Odin DD when the song calls for bass. The Sultan is probably a little bit more forward but the Odin is also forward to me. The Odin changes more with different cables. Both stock cables are warm and work well with each IEM. The Sultan responds very little to different cables and still stays the Sultan. The Odin to me changed when I used a less warm cable. It became too direct bordering on shrill with a not so warm cable. After a half our the listening fatigue was setting in. With the stock cable that does not happen with Odin.

The Sultan is like an altered state rose colored glasses experience. The Odin is more of an intimate experience. Not a warm intimate but analytical intimate. The notes are quicker and extremely precise with the Odin. The only thing that may be colored with the Odin are the upper mids. I love my little bit forward upper mids so I am biased about that possible color to the Odin.

With todays prices in my opinion they are both worth what they cost. I get a lot of pleasure from both. They are to me extremely different. I grab Odin when I want to analyze the music and get into it in a deep intense musical way. With Sultan I grab it when I want to lay back and enjoy and let the music surround me.

Those are my ramblings on Odin and Sultan.

Nov 17, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #25,997 of 40,713
The Odin bass is amazing, it’s deep and powerful. I love it the more I listen.

For me, with the stock cable, the Odin’s upper mid can be a bit too much at times (not all the times, only on some tracks with high pitch tones). Swapping to a warmer SPC cable is able to reduce the occasional spikiness. Could be just my personal preference.

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #25,998 of 40,713
Well if @doctorjuggles mentions me then of course I will come out of Head-Fi semi retirement and respond. I see @Damz87 wrote something. I have not read it yet since that might tint my lens. I almost wrote "taint" instead of tint but "taint" and "Damz" do not go together. Damz tends to be relatively objective when it comes to his own biases :) I trust what he wrote without even reading it. I do know that Damz and I like to have a variety of IEMs with a variety of signatures. That adds to the pleasure of it all.

I may have written something before concerning Sultan and Odin but that was probably in my Gaga GooGoo phase of the Odin. I know the Odin super well now and feel more mature about our relationship. I still fall asleep with her in my ears even after being together for so long. I enjoy reading initial love lust impressions of IEMs but I get more out of mature relationship impressions of IEMs.

IMHO both Sultan and Odin are top notch IEMs. I have been to bed with numerous top notch IEMs and they both belong. To me the Sultan is more 3 D. The sound is not left or right but it is left, right, forwards, backwards, up and down. The Odin is more intimate and the stage is wider but not 3D. The notes on the Sultan stay longer than the Odin. The Sultan has extremely special treble. I have zero complaints about the Odin treble. The Sultan bass is more encompassing. It is more impactful with more mid bass hit with sub bass rumble thrown in. The Odin bass is more sub bass with less overall bass but UNBELIEVABLY visceral. I feel the movement of air with the Odin DD when the song calls for bass. The Sultan is probably a little bit more forward but the Odin is also forward to me. The Odin changes more with different cables. Both stock cables are warm and work well with each IEM. The Sultan responds very little to different cables and still stays the Sultan. The Odin to me changed when I used a less warm cable. It became too direct bordering on shrill with a not so warm cable. After a half our the listening fatigue was setting in. With the stock cable that does not happen with Odin.

The Sultan is like an altered state rose colored glasses experience. The Odin is more of an intimate experience. Not a warm intimate but analytical intimate. The notes are quicker and extremely precise with the Odin. The only thing that may be colored with the Odin are the upper mids. I love my little bit forward upper mids so I am biased about that possible color to the Odin.

With todays prices in my opinion they are both worth what they cost. I get a lot of pleasure from both. They are to me extremely different. I grab Odin when I want to analyze the music and get into it in a deep intense musical way. With Sultan I grab it when I want to lay back and enjoy and let the music surround me.

Those are my ramblings on Odin and Sultan.

I really appreciate your thought! We don't know the sensitivity of the Sultan, maybe it's lower compared to Odin. Do you use more the volume knob with Sultan? It's incredible but some impressions are the same when i use the Solaris: more visceral bass and in general an advanced intimate listening. But with the Sultan holographic imaging is excellent, 3d, like you said.

It's very hard now :beyersmile:

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #25,999 of 40,713
Truly shows how different our tastes are and how differently we hear things. Also shows a tale of two different threads, this one where people feel free to speak about competition, and another you would never dare say negative things about their products or God forbid anything positive about the competition.

ODIN is true top-tier IEM, whether it is your signature, only you can say. I have never heard Sultan, never had any interest. There are plenty of ODIN reviews out there and I would assume Sultan reviews. No IEM is perfect, but that doesn't mean it can't be perfect for you.

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #26,000 of 40,713
As long as it’s not sibilance, I’d probably be able to tolerate. But since I’m very sensitive to sibilance, I‘d still be a bit anxious to hear the Odin. I really do hope it will work out for me! :thumbsup:
They arrived yesterday. Plain, I know, but that's me. They are the compliment to my Audeze LCD-4s I've been wanting. These are my fun outdoor pair. For noisy environments that can be distracting.

On first listen - a really harsh sibilance in 's's and beginning of words that drove me crazy. Vocals were sucked out of the music. Got a little pit in my stomach. I left them connected to my Benchmark HPA-4 for a couple of hours. I went jogging with them (I know, but that's another reason I got them). The highs have changed dramatically just with a few hours of pay time. The vocals are coming into their own. I also have tried a bit of equalization that brings them into focus FOR ME.

Fit - excellent. Love not having to use those silicone things. They basically suck into my ear and the world goes silent. My phone drives them well enough, when needed. I have a Fiio BTR5 that is fun allowing me to walk around the house and get things done.

More, later, as I run them through my system.

Valkyrie (Medium).jpg

Nice photo!

1st generation or the mkii version?

Nov 18, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #26,001 of 40,713
Truly shows how different our tastes are and how differently we hear things. Also shows a tale of two different threads, this one where people feel free to speak about competition, and another you would never dare say negative things about their products or God forbid anything positive about the competition.

ODIN is true top-tier IEM, whether it is your signature, only you can say. I have never heard Sultan, never had any interest. There are plenty of ODIN reviews out there and I would assume Sultan reviews. No IEM is perfect, but that doesn't mean it can't be perfect for you.
I think that is because @Jack Vang and the rest of the team at EE is secure about their products. If there's any thread on here that you can't reference or even praise the competition, that stems from insecurity.

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #26,002 of 40,713
We're definitely a little better than the Xbox vs Playstation crowd "I would hope" lol. I'm not picking a-side. Because I highly enjoy/enjoyed both.

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #26,003 of 40,713
We're definitely a little better than the Xbox vs Playstation crowd "I would hope" lol. I'm not picking a-side. Because I highly enjoy/enjoyed both.
Maybe, but for sure better than the Android, Apple crowd

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #26,005 of 40,713
Nov 18, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #26,007 of 40,713
Lol... Probably not as good as the Sultan does
FC21F820-7BA6-4014-89F4-D77DB15845D0.jpeg

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #26,008 of 40,713
Man, this thread is toxic.

I don’t own a Noble or an EE IEM, nor have I ever heard a Noble IEM but I’ve been subbed to that thread for months and I don’t think I’ve once seen anyone in there bash a competitor as much as I see EE fans going at Noble, particularly the Sultan, in here.

Am I out of the loop on something? Genuinely curious, lol.

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #26,009 of 40,713
Man, this thread is toxic.

I don’t own a Noble or an EE IEM, nor have I ever heard a Noble IEM but I’ve been subbed to that thread for months and I don’t think I’ve once seen anyone in there bash a competitor as much as I see EE fans going at Noble, particularly the Sultan, in here.

Am I out of the loop on something? Genuinely curious, lol.
Well, I can't speak for anyone else. I loved that iem. It's just fanboyism at it's best. I wouldn't be bothered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back