Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 16, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #25,951 of 40,587
I have a pair coming end of November. A bit worried about the upper mids spike though. We‘ll see when I have a listen.

As you probably already aware, Odin’s sound is not tuned as a smooth and warm signature. I may be wrong but I suspect it’s tuning intention was to provide a reference-like sound signature with outstanding clarity. I like how clear and airy it sounds on everything but I do experience some high frequency spikes in some parts of certain songs (certain female vocal sections with very high pitch and it’s not sibilance). Judicious volume control is required for some songs as high volume seems to exacerbate the phenomenon. It is also not forgiving on low resolution files/sources and bad recordings. Other than this, the Odin sound is very good and quite unique.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #25,952 of 40,587
As you probably already aware, Odin’s sound is not tuned as a smooth and warm signature. I may be wrong but I suspect it’s tuning intention was to provide a reference-like sound signature with outstanding clarity. I like how clear and airy it sounds on everything but I do experience some high frequency spikes in some parts of certain songs (certain female vocal sections with very high pitch and it’s not sibilance). Judicious volume control is required for some songs as high volume seems to exacerbate the phenomenon. It is also not forgiving on low resolution files/sources and bad recordings. Other than this, the Odin sound is very good and quite unique.

As long as it’s not sibilance, I’d probably be able to tolerate. But since I’m very sensitive to sibilance, I‘d still be a bit anxious to hear the Odin. I really do hope it will work out for me! :thumbsup:

Nov 16, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #25,956 of 40,587
Would you consider woodwind/brass instruments as generally upper midrange sounds?

Not sure about those, female vocal would probably be more relevant to me.

Nov 16, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #25,958 of 40,587
I realize it’s not necessarily relevant to compare Odin & Hero, but I wonder if ‘upper mid spike’ is present on Hero, also? Noticing an unnaturalness re woodwinds/brass with Hero. Hopefully it opens/gets smoother over time?

Can’t really comment on that since I haven’t listened to both :sweat_smile:

Nov 16, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #25,959 of 40,587
I realize it’s not necessarily relevant to compare Odin & Hero, but I wonder if ‘upper mid spike’ is present on Hero, also? Noticing an unnaturalness re woodwinds/brass with Hero. Hopefully it opens/gets smoother over time?
Which Cable are you using? The stock Ares II really doesn't do much for Hero IMO.

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #25,962 of 40,587
Using stock. What do you recommend? Cables are the quintessential rabbit hole but I’d like to consider your suggestions. Thanks
Ps I’m already in so deep, what’s another $200!?! gulp
I'm using the plussound exo Tri-copper... I'd highly recommend it, it works great on most IEM's tbh. Also, plussound has a 20% Black Friday sale currently on so now is the time :wink: it really works wonders for the Hero, its seems to widen the soundstage, smooth out the peaks a little in the treble while also giving the treble more extension. A good combo. I also tried the plussound X8 Silver + Gold on Hero, this paring wasn't so pleasant. I definitely think Hero benefits from Copper but I'd imagine you'd also be able to get a similar result to the tri-copper when using with a SPC cable. I believe plussound sell a cheaper SPC variant as well. Worth a look!

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #25,963 of 40,587
Really quite tempted to pick one up myself for that price - 20% tbh. Very good experiences with them in the past and their cables are top quality.
Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 17.04.55.png

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #25,964 of 40,587
Really quite tempted to pick one up myself for that price - 20% tbh. Very good experiences with them in the past and their cables are top quality.
What are your thoughts on ‘burn in’ for Hero? I’ve tended to notice such with other iems. My Dunu 3001pro definitely became more balanced sounding after 30, 40 hrs. Burn in is also cheaper.

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #25,965 of 40,587
Could someone suggest me best DAP for Odin around $1000? I was thinking cayin n6ii, ibasso dx220, kann cube, lotoo 6000 or any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back