Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 12, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #25,891 of 40,582
Got a Valkyrie and it's simply the best IEM I've heard. Prefer them hands down over LCD-i4 and QDC Anole VX. This DD bass is awesome, timbre is very natural, vocals are wonderful and the Electrostatic driver does wonders, simply love this treble quality and energy. Separation is among the best I've heard and even soundstage is great.

I totally disagree with head-fi reviews about mids being recessed. I don't think they're recessed at all. Elevation/intimacy is just spot on. Same about soundstage. It has great depth and width.

Now I'm curious about Legend X with 2 of these W9 drivers.

I personally preferred the Valkyrie over the Legend X. Valkyrie is very sub bass focused, it rises very smoothly in the upper mids, no peaks or valleys. Legend X bass is too loose and out of control for me.

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #25,892 of 40,582
I have a question for you guys about the Legend X vs the Valkyrie MKII ... I’m interested in getting a bass dominant set as a companion to my Odin. From what I’ve read online, the LX may have too much bass emphasis, so that is why I thought the Valkyrie may be another way to go, plus I save $600.

Any thoughts about choosing between the two would be greatly appreciated. 😀

Crinacle has a good write up on them. Looking at his measurements, the biggest difference in mark i and ii is in the treble.

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #25,893 of 40,582
I personally preferred the Valkyrie over the Legend X. Valkyrie is very sub bass focused, it rises very smoothly in the upper mids, no peaks or valleys. Legend X bass is too loose and out of control for me.
Cant say anything about Valkyrie, but your Legend X characterizes a quick listen or a non-seasoned Legend X. I skipped all of last years models, didn't even review them.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #25,894 of 40,582
Cant say anything about Valkyrie, but your Legend X characterizes a quick listen or and non-seasoned Legend X. I skipped all of last years models, didn't even review them.

The legend X is phenomenal with seasoning time. Add in a silver based cable and a neutral / bright DAP and it’s top tier. So much more than just bass. It blows Hero, which is said to be on the same technical level as Valkyrie, out of the water on pretty much every level.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #25,895 of 40,582
The legend X is phenomenal with seasoning time. Add in a silver based cable and a neutral / bright DAP and it’s top tier. So much more than just bass. It blows Hero, which is said to be on the same technical level as Valkyrie, out of the water on pretty much every level.
I concur

Nov 12, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #25,897 of 40,582
Got a Valkyrie and it's simply the best IEM I've heard. Prefer them hands down over LCD-i4 and QDC Anole VX. This DD bass is awesome, timbre is very natural, vocals are wonderful and the Electrostatic driver does wonders, simply love this treble quality and energy. Separation is among the best I've heard and even soundstage is great.

I totally disagree with head-fi reviews about mids being recessed. I don't think they're recessed at all. Elevation/intimacy is just spot on. Same about soundstage. It has great depth and width.

Now I'm curious about Legend X with 2 of these W9 drivers.

Mine, hopefully, arrive tomorrow.

Nov 12, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #25,898 of 40,582
I was an LX non believer but yeah you really gotta give it some time. That being said I have no regret purchasing my Valkyrie and might still prefer it over the LX to this day.

My Zeus ciem reshell (2nd fit attempt) from Itsfit also just arrived today too and I got an adapter for my cardas clear light so it's been a very good day, on top of auditioning the Odin and Hero.

I didn't spend too much time with them so only brief impressions, but Odin handled everything I threw at it with ease, overall just a beast at everything with some absolutely superb bass along with everything else. Extremely coherent too, and one of the only universal iems that fits me well. Honestly I just got lost in the music so often I completely gave up on taking notes. Just a fabulous iem to chill out to. Oh and those faceplates are absolutely gorgeous.

Hero fit less well but still manageable, was a little more engaging and sounded more like an Empire Ears iem. I actually listened to the Odin first which I thought would have been a huge mistake, and of course in some ways it was because they can't really be compared on the same level, but I actually enjoyed the Hero a lot. I didn't have my Valkyrie with me to compare but I might like the Hero slightly more for being just a bit more balanced while still having those sparkly highs.

Nov 12, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #25,899 of 40,582
Mine, hopefully, arrive tomorrow.
I hope so too, you have been patiently waiting as Tom Petty said "The Waiting is the Hardest Part". I am also in that waiting queue as well, as I made a major mess up when I sold my more than a year old seasoned Legend X. I needed it again...so I wait. Fortunately I have many options at home already, so I am cool.

Nov 12, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #25,900 of 40,582
I was an LX non believer but yeah you really gotta give it some time. That being said I have no regret purchasing my Valkyrie and might still prefer it over the LX to this day.

My Zeus ciem reshell (2nd fit attempt) from Itsfit also just arrived today too and I got an adapter for my cardas clear light so it's been a very good day, on top of auditioning the Odin and Hero.

I didn't spend too much time with them so only brief impressions, but Odin handled everything I threw at it with ease, overall just a beast at everything with some absolutely superb bass along with everything else. Extremely coherent too, and one of the only universal iems that fits me well. Honestly I just got lost in the music so often I completely gave up on taking notes. Just a fabulous iem to chill out to. Oh and those faceplates are absolutely gorgeous.

Hero fit less well but still manageable, was a little more engaging and sounded more like an Empire Ears iem. I actually listened to the Odin first which I thought would have been a huge mistake, and of course in some ways it was because they can't really be compared on the same level, but I actually enjoyed the Hero a lot. I didn't have my Valkyrie with me to compare but I might like the Hero slightly more for being just a bit more balanced while still having those sparkly highs.
ODIN is an incredible listen. With the proper tips they really allow those Weapon 9+s to shine. ODIN doesn't color the bass but they deliver the goods when it is in the track. It is not a "fun" IEM in that it colors the signature, but so enjoyable. ODIN pairs so well with either the R8 or the SP2000 and lazily I haven't tried it with any other DAPs I have.

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #25,901 of 40,582
LX is like having the best speakers in your ears. It is the only iem that gives the impression of listening to a hi end set of floor standers. You can feel the music as well as hear it.

Nov 13, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #25,902 of 40,582
Fantastic sound with striking faceplates. I don’t think I ever got so much attention on other iems as much as the Odin. Each sets have different hues and both left/right pieces actually matches up. Great workmanship Empire Ears.

88A4EE53-7444-4EE1-8A3B-CAB129AB3B50.jpeg

Nov 13, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #25,904 of 40,582
Number #186 tomorrow checking in early. Thanks to my friends at The Source A/V @TSAVAlan and @TSAVJason their the best. Can't wait until tomorrow. IMG_20201113_204829.jpg

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #25,905 of 40,582
I keep my word on Valkyrie. It grows on me each day that passes. Still prefer them over QDC Anole VX. The bass is much better (no more BA bass for me) and the treble's more revealing (although a bit on the hot side). This results on a more energetic, lively and even realistic experience, with better dynamic expression. They also seem to open soundstage a bit more, allowing a better perception of instruments in 3D space. Sometimes I felt Anole VX had some trouble revealing all that is there (also due to its darker nature). And God, I love female vocals on these!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back