Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 18, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #25,246 of 40,577
Had a chance to test the Odin for a second time last night. For context, I had the Legend X as one of my main IEMS up until recently and thought nothing could compare. I then tried the Erlkonig and haven't looked back since... My short impression of the Odin - it has definitely "improved" upon the LX DNA and is spectacular on certain genres of music. I tested with 3 DAPs (P6, N8 and R2R) with all different signatures and preferred the R2R since it calmed down the brightness. Wasn't able to use the Tube setting on the N8 since I didn't have an adapter but I know it well enough that it wouldn't have made a huge difference in taking down the treble. For tracks that are epic and holographic, the Odin is a master - completely out of your head and floating above and beyond (Michael Kiwanuka's Cold Little Heart) But for more down-to-earth tracks it's a bit too bright for me. Unfortunately, the shop wouldn't let me switch the cable to my 1960s 4-wire which I think would be interesting to test.

Attachments

• DSC_0618.JPG
    DSC_0618.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #25,247 of 40,577
Had a chance to test the Odin for a second time last night. For context, I had the Legend X as one of main IEMS up until recently and thought nothing could compare. I then tried the Erlkonig and haven't looked back since... My short impression of the Odin is that it is has definitely "improved" upon the LX DNA and it's spectacular on certain genres of music. I tested with 3 DAPs with all different signatures and preferred the R2R since it calmed down the brightness. For tracks that are epic and holographic, the Odin is a master - completely out of your head and floating above and beyond (Michael Kiwanuka's Cold Little Heart) But for more down-to-earth tracks it's a bit too bright for me. Unfortunately, the shop wouldn't let me switch the cable to my 1960s 4-wire which I think would be interesting to test.
What do you prefer between the Odin and Elrkonig? I’m interested in these two plus the Sultan. I like detail but I’m not a fan of brightness. Unfortunately I do not have a way of trying them unless they are at Canjam London in July next year (if it even happens given covide).

Sep 18, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #25,248 of 40,577
Had a chance to test the Odin for a second time last night. For context, I had the Legend X as one of main IEMS up until recently and thought nothing could compare. I then tried the Erlkonig and haven't looked back since... My short impression of the Odin is that it is has definitely "improved" upon the LX DNA and it's spectacular on certain genres of music. I tested with 3 DAPs with all different signatures and preferred the R2R since it calmed down the brightness. For tracks that are epic and holographic, the Odin is a master - completely out of your head and floating above and beyond (Michael Kiwanuka's Cold Little Heart) But for more down-to-earth tracks it's a bit too bright for me. Unfortunately, the shop wouldn't let me switch the cable to my 1960s 4-wire which I think would be interesting to test.
...the synergy between the N8 and ODIN should be excellent, ODIN should, I imagine, be spectacular for symphonic music...)

Sep 18, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #25,249 of 40,577
What do you prefer between the Odin and Elrkonig? I’m interested in these two plus the Sultan. I like detail but I’m not a fan of brightness. Unfortunately I do not have a way of trying them unless they are at Canjam London in July next year (if it even happens given covide).
I'm not sure it's a fair comparison in that I spent around an hr total with the Odin and have had the Erlkonig for awhile. The Odin impresses on 3 things, clarity (details galore from the EST drivers), soundstage on tracks recorded to showcase it, and bass (when called for). The Erlkonig is something completely different, at least on setting 2. I would say that the Erlkonig is more of an all-rounder that improves most genres of music. To me it sounds much more natural (not saying it is uncolored or neutral). My best example in how natural the Erlkonig sounds is off a Solange Knowles track where I could I literally hear the drummer brush the snare off one hand. It wasn't because it was glaring at me through details, it just naturally made its way out without any type of spotlight. One more thing to note. There are a few IEMs out using EST, ceramic or Piezoelectric drivers. They are all different but the character is bringing up the details in songs. The Elysium is another I tried recently that is very good as well. My point is that there are a few that sound similar, some "better" than others depending on what you are looking for. But nothing sounds like the Erlkonig. I can't think of one IEM that I have tried in over 15yrs that sounds anywhere near to what it sounds like. I'm not saying it's endgame or the best ever, I'm just saying that I haven't heard any other IEM tuned this way, especially based on BAa. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #25,250 of 40,577
...the synergy between the N8 and ODIN should be excellent, ODIN should, I imagine, be spectacular for symphonic music...)
Agree, the N8 was the most spacious and "cleanest" out of the 3 DAPs I tried. Again, on certain genres or tracks it is spectacular. Radiohead's Nude is another example where it is very euphoric.

Sep 18, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #25,251 of 40,577
Sep 18, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #25,253 of 40,577
Sep 18, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #25,254 of 40,577
been using the Odin on and off while keeping it running since I got it

have 100 hours on it now - so its half burned in?

my god this IEM is super versatile
for reference - I only use it at home (because of the price of the IEM) plugged to my RME-ADI 2

i am a basshead - with bass on +6 with the odin, it makes me feel like holy crap I really do not need the LX anymore (i have it posted for sale but have been contemplating on keeping it since I want a bass heavy iem)

Odin is like.... whatever the music wants you to hear, it will let you hear it.

I haven't touched my U12t, LX, or Hero for the past week and now I am thinking do I even need any of those? I might keep the Hero for when I travel but the rest of my IEM collection feels redundant atm...

Sep 18, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #25,255 of 40,577
been using the Odin on and off while keeping it running since I got it

have 100 hours on it now - so its half burned in?

my god this IEM is super versatile
for reference - I only use it at home (because of the price of the IEM) plugged to my RME-ADI 2

i am a basshead - with bass on +6 with the odin, it makes me feel like holy crap I really do not need the LX anymore (i have it posted for sale but have been contemplating on keeping it since I want a bass heavy iem)

Odin is like.... whatever the music wants you to hear, it will let you hear it.

I haven't touched my U12t, LX, or Hero for the past week and now I am thinking do I even need any of those? I might keep the Hero for when I travel but the rest of my IEM collection feels redundant atm...
The struggle is real.

Sep 19, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #25,256 of 40,577
I'm not sure it's a fair comparison in that I spent around an hr total with the Odin and have had the Erlkonig for awhile. The Odin impresses on 3 things, clarity (details galore from the EST drivers), soundstage on tracks recorded to showcase it, and bass (when called for). The Erlkonig is something completely different, at least on setting 2. I would say that the Erlkonig is more of an all-rounder that improves most genres of music. To me it sounds much more natural (not saying it is uncolored or neutral). My best example in how natural the Erlkonig sounds is off a Solange Knowles track where I could I literally hear the drummer brush the snare off one hand. It wasn't because it was glaring at me through details, it just naturally made its way out without any type of spotlight. One more thing to note. There are a few IEMs out using EST, ceramic or Piezoelectric drivers. They are all different but the character is bringing up the details in songs. The Elysium is another I tried recently that is very good as well. My point is that there are a few that sound similar, some "better" than others depending on what you are looking for. But nothing sounds like the Erlkonig. I can't think of one IEM that I have tried in over 15yrs that sounds anywhere near to what it sounds like. I'm not saying it's endgame or the best ever, I'm just saying that I haven't heard any other IEM tuned this way, especially based on BAa. Hope that helps.
Another Erlkonig fan! I agree completely. And yet they discontinued it. I hope that means something even better next year. I do still want to hear the Odin for myself. Tks.

Sep 19, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #25,257 of 40,577
Well which one do you have cause mine wasn't working for that one.
"AdBlock - best ad blocker" (that is the official narcissist name... :wink:)

Sep 19, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #25,258 of 40,577

Users who are viewing this thread

Back