Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 13, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #25,066 of 40,577
I’ve spoken personally to a few designers from well known cable makers in home audio, and the consistent message I heard is a good cable is in one way like a high grade capacitor, it has a dielectric that needs to form before the sound stabilizes. When new, the dielectric absorbs and re-releases signal causing a smearing of high frequencies. Once the dielectric forms this smearing is no longer present.

With IEMs, my burn-in procedure has more to do with getting time on the cable, less with time on the drivers, especially BA drivers.
Do you find BA drivers change the least compared to other forms? I’ve noticed more changes in things with DD or estats.

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #25,067 of 40,577
Well then why don’t you let them speak for themselves?

Let me say it one last time for you... if you don’t like the Odin, I don’t care. Jack doesn’t pay me to be an advocate. I enjoy them, you don’t have to. If you are going to criticize their overall tonal quality, experiment a bit to make sure what you’re saying can be replicated or reproduced by others.

You don’t care? Then why do you STILL feel the need to everyday mention that certain people who didn’t like the Odin “only listened for one day” or whatever else you think isn’t acceptable before forming an opinion on an IEM?

You definitely care. You’ve been at this for 2 weeks.

Oh, now all of a sudden experimenting is what you should do before you say whether you like something or not, interesting change of stance there. This is a $3400 IEM that was provided with a certain cable for a specific reason. If I don’t like the way it sounds the way it was meant to be tuned then I have no interest.

Stop stinking up this thread.. if you want to debate or criticize me do so in a private message. You all wouldn’t do this crap in the Noble thread.

Yeah, because there aren’t people like you there or in about 95% of the other Head Fi threads I follow.

I have nothing left to say. Enjoy your Odin.

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #25,068 of 40,577
Do you find BA drivers change the least compared to other forms? I’ve noticed more changes in things with DD or estats.

Well, it’s hard if not impossible to differentiate where the change in sound is coming from, drivers or cables, so based on my previously mentioned discussions with cable designers, I presume it’s the cable and less so the DD’s surround/suspension loosening up.

I actually have read here on Head-Fi from noted contributors the notion that BA drivers don’t require burn-in. I’m relatively new to BA drivers, so I yield to their expertise.

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #25,069 of 40,577
Ok Guys and Gals, let's calm down and take a 1h break of the thread and go for a coffee or glass of wine, to calm down the nerves and then come back to friendly conversations here.

Everyone knows this Forum is quite relaxed about Moderation, but is getting to a point that we will need some moderation in this Thread.

Piece!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #25,070 of 40,577
Those "twin peaks" look positively frightening for the treble-averse. But, as always, YMMV (or you may just love those zingy highs). There's a lid for every pot.

I bailed on the Hero. I didn't like treble and found it sharp and peaky. I also didn't find the bass to be sufficient enough when compared to the Nio. Again, that's why there are many manufacturers in the world. If everyone loved the same sound we would only need one IEM, in total, worldwide. I will say that the Odin looks promising, but putting out that much money on one IEM just isn't something I can stomach. Kudos to those who can.

As a pretty treble-adverse dude myself, that was my experience with the Hero to a T. Not only was I wincing at every S that came my way, I found myself wincing at the T's as well. Really wanted to make it work, but I just couldn't.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #25,071 of 40,577
I enjoy reading about IEMs. This thread has fallen apart over the last X number of weeks.

unsubscribed.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #25,073 of 40,577
Ayre Acoustics makes great stuff, must be that Colorado climate. 😁 The reason I bought a Pono was due to the Charles Hanson design. Alas, I sold the Pono after they shut down since replacement batteries were unobtainium.
I still have two that are working and need a little use. Thanks for the idea. Ayre did a fantastic design for Neil.

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #25,074 of 40,577
As a pretty treble-adverse dude myself, that was

As a pretty treble-adverse dude myself, that was my experience with the Hero to a T. Not only was I wincing at every S that came my way, I found myself wincing at the T's as well. Really wanted to make it work, but I just couldn't.
Yeah, I have a number of tracks that I specifically go to when I try any IEM's (and these are songs that I love listening to a lot) and if the S and T come across sharp and sibilant I know it won't work for me. And I know people often talk about how graphs aren't the end all, but on those IEM's that end up bothering my ears I always see peaks in specific areas that confirm it. And the same would go for IEM's that I enjoy, where I see those same areas toned down a bit on the graphs.

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #25,075 of 40,577
As a pretty treble-adverse dude myself, that was

I must be less sensitive to bumps in the upper mids, but I can be quite sensitive to any anomalies in the 6kHz region. The final A8000 received lots of reports about the highs being too bright, but I never felt that way, and prior to my Odin purchase, the A8000 was my reference ... and still is to some degree. I haven’t really done much comparing of the two, so my thoughts may change.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #25,076 of 40,577
Yeah, I have a number of tracks that I specifically go to when I try any IEM's (and these are songs that I love listening to a lot) and if the S and T come across sharp and sibilant I know it won't work for me. And I know people often talk about how graphs aren't the end all, but on those IEM's that end up bothering my ears I always see peaks in specific areas that confirm it. And the same would go for IEM's that I enjoy, where I see those same areas toned down a bit on the graphs.
I agree that graphs can offer some insight but I do feel that it’s more relatable to sound in the upper frequencies. I’ve listened to some that measure low in bass ranges that surprised me.

I also find it bizarre that many can find some IEM’s that measure bright, less bright than those that measure warmer. It’s all’s crap shoot.

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #25,077 of 40,577
I agree that graphs can offer some insight but I do feel that it’s more relatable to sound in the upper frequencies. I’ve listened to some that measure low in bass ranges that surprised me.

I also find it bizarre that many can find some IEM’s that measure bright, less bright than those that measure warmer. It’s all’s crap shoot.

I think part of the reason for this is “bright” can be a nebulous description. In fact, the lingo we use to describe what we hear is not universally understood in the same way. Highly subjective terminology.

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #25,078 of 40,577
I think part of the reason for this is “bright” can be a nebulous description. In fact, the lingo we use to describe what we hear is not universally understood in the same way. Highly subjective terminology.
Yeah, the term "bright" can mean a lot of different things to different people. It could be lots of treble energy, it could be sibilance, it could be the upper mids pushed forward or it could be just very detailed in the upper mids and treble frequencies. That's why trying the IEM's themselves is the only way to know how your ears will perceive the sound and whether or not it is to your liking.

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #25,079 of 40,577

Also, we all hear differently, whether it's due to ear physiology, age, or just personal preferences/tastes in music or signatures, there are a myriad of factors; even the opinions of the most respected reviewers are just that, opinions. What's most important is how you hear it or how it makes you feel. The easiest way to do that is to hear it for yourself. With that said, not everyone can audition or has access to the gear they want to hear. For those people, I suggest following a reviewer whose musical tastes/preferences/tolerances most closely align with your own and even then do your research. Go back and read their past reviews/impressions to get an idea of where they're coming from, but even then take what you read with a grain of salt, it's still just the opinion of some guy/gal on the internet.

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #25,080 of 40,577
Yeah, the term "bright" can mean a lot of different things to different people. It could be lots of treble energy, it could be sibilance, it could be the upper mids pushed forward or it could be just very detailed in the upper mids and treble frequencies. That's why trying the IEM's themselves is the only way to know how your ears will perceive the sound and whether or not it is to your liking.
I must ask since you mentioned sibilance.. and I’m not sensitive to it. How does it come across to you? Do certain S and T sounds actually become amplified and piercing? Is it just a lisp type sound that bothers you? I’m interested so I can better understand that perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back