Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 13, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #25,021 of 40,587
Odin in no way shape or form to MY ears are bright, edgy or anything in-between. They are so coherent and smooth or pop. Whatever is recorded is what I think I'm hearing. I can see the Odin being loved by people who like a 'reference' sound as well as those who want excitement. It's as though it's reference, but everything is on steroids and fun. Hard to explain, because it hits me in an emotional way.

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #25,022 of 40,587
I’ve not heard the odin, but the Hero is without a doubt bright (to my ears). I hadn’t seen this comparison before...but Hero chart confirms what my ears hear. I believe most of the reviews of the Hero I’ve read agree it’s on the bright side.
Those "twin peaks" look positively frightening for the treble-averse. But, as always, YMMV (or you may just love those zingy highs). There's a lid for every pot.

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #25,023 of 40,587
Odin in no way shape or form to MY ears are bright, edgy or anything in-between. They are so coherent and smooth or pop. Whatever is recorded is what I think I'm hearing. I can see the Odin being loved by people who like a 'reference' sound as well as those who want excitement. It's as though it's reference, but everything is on steroids and fun. Hard to explain, because it hits me in an emotional way.
I know exactly what you mean.

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #25,024 of 40,587
Those "twin peaks" look positively frightening for the treble-averse. But, as always, YMMV (or you may just love those zingy highs). There's a lid for every pot.
meh not really
608D0E48-2799-4845-B321-3BA2D838745A.jpeg

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #25,025 of 40,587
The treble of the Odin looks just right to me (and I don't even mind the Trio's treble, which is more elevated than Odin for sure). I don't even mind forward mids, as long as they're not shouty or thin. My only concern with Odin, going by the graph alone, is bass quantity. I have no doubt quality is best-in-class with those twin Weapons, but quantity-wise I want more than "reference" and I definitely want bass to at least match the mids/highs in level. Trio/Nio (and by extension LX) bass levels are my benchmark for perfect quantity (though maybe a touch less than the LX for better balance with the mids/highs).

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #25,027 of 40,587
The treble of the Odin looks just right to me (and I don't even mind the Trio's treble, which is more elevated than Odin for sure). I don't even mind forward mids, as long as they're not shouty or thin. My only concern with Odin, going by the graph alone, is bass quantity. I have no doubt quality is best-in-class with those twin Weapons, but quantity-wise I want more than "reference" and I definitely want bass to at least match the mids/highs in level. Trio/Nio (and by extension LX) bass levels are my benchmark for perfect quantity (though maybe a touch less than the LX for better balance with the mids/highs).
It has plenty of bass. Sounded deeper and more authoritative than the Trio to me. I don’t care what the graph shows, I compared them directly.

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #25,028 of 40,587
I can't tell you how they compare to others bass (well a few), but the Odin's bass is more than satisfying to me. I have a full range 2 channel system. My Vandersteen Quatro's have built in subwoofers with specific designed amps. I can shake rattle and roll, but the quality is so spot on compared to the subs I've auditioned that are separate. The Odin's quantity of bass is outstanding. The thing with bass is that in person, you will feel it as well as hear it. Since the IEM's are in your ears, I'm assuming that's why I can feel the bass with the Odin's. I have some ref recordings that have energy all the way down to around 24hz or so if I recall. On the Odin's I'm hearing it just fine and feeling it. If I can't get a full range sound, I'm not excited about what I'm hearing. You don't need to be a bass head to want...No DEMAND great quality AND quantity.

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #25,029 of 40,587

Odin bass is incredibly extended and textured but in terms of quantity I found it lacking. Just to offer a differing opinion here...

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #25,030 of 40,587
I can't tell you how they compare to others bass (well a few), but the Odin's bass is more than satisfying to me. I have a full range 2 channel system. My Vandersteen Quatro's have built in subwoofers with specific designed amps. I can shake rattle and roll, but the quality is so spot on compared to the subs I've auditioned that are separate. The Odin's quantity of bass is outstanding. The thing with bass is that in person, you will feel it as well as hear it. Since the IEM's are in your ears, I'm assuming that's why I can feel the bass with the Odin's. I have some ref recordings that have energy all the way down to around 24hz or so if I recall. On the Odin's I'm hearing it just fine and feeling it. If I can't get a full range sound, I'm not excited about what I'm hearing. You don't need to be a bass head to want...No DEMAND great quality AND quantity.
I know what you mean. I find IEMs can get you that deep bass feeling even better than most over ear headphones, though it's not exactly the same visceral feeling you get from the much larger headphone drivers, not to mention speakers. That thump and rumble combined with texture all the way down is what makes for great bass, and I know what @CL14715 means by you can't always see it on a graph. What you can see on the graph is the balance between bass and the rest of the FR range, by which measure the Odin appears to be fairly mid-forward in its presentation. Not necessarily a bad thing, as long as those mids are of the highest quality and not shouty, thin or dry.

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #25,031 of 40,587
Yes. I‘ve found some tips (symbio W hybrids) that tame the highs a bit, and I’m considering whether or not I want to invest in a cable to attenuate the treble further. Normally I would have bailed on these already given the treble, but I like the rest of the sound sig enough to consider the incremental investment.

Sep 13, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #25,032 of 40,587
Yes. I‘ve found some tips (symbio W hybrids) that tame the highs a bit, and I’m considering whether or not I want to invest in a cable to attenuate the treble further. Normally I would have bailed on these already given the treble, but I like the rest of the sound sig enough to consider the incremental investment.
I bailed on the Hero. I didn't like treble and found it sharp and peaky. I also didn't find the bass to be sufficient enough when compared to the Nio. Again, that's why there are many manufacturers in the world. If everyone loved the same sound we would only need one IEM, in total, worldwide. I will say that the Odin looks promising, but putting out that much money on one IEM just isn't something I can stomach. Kudos to those who can.

Sep 13, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #25,033 of 40,587
I bailed on the Hero. I didn't like treble and found it sharp and peaky. I also didn't find the bass to be sufficient enough when compared to the Nio. Again, that's why there are many manufacturers in the world. If everyone loved the same sound we would only need one IEM, in total, worldwide. I will say that the Odin looks promising, but putting out that much money on one IEM just isn't something I can stomach. Kudos to those who can.

The only 'one-IEM' world wide solution that's on the distant horizon is Neuralink. Nothing more hires or realistic than having an artificial auditory hallucination.

Sep 13, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #25,035 of 40,587

Perhaps you can try to EQ the treble, that way you don’t need to spend more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back