Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 22, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #24,106 of 40,577
From what I’ve heard myself and from others, it definitely is a more situational/subjective feature. I personally believe I can hear its effects, but not to the point where it’s a night-and-day difference and I’m convinced it isn’t at least somewhat of a placebo effect. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I typically listen at low-to-moderate levels anyway, and that my ears are still rather young, but I can’t say for sure. I’m only referring to the relief aspect of it, though. The effect it has on the bass is 100% discernible to me.

I’ve heard others say it’s a crucial and immensely helpful feature for them, while others have said it takes away from isolation and resolution. It’s not uncommon in Singapore to see 64 Audio IEMs with apex ports completely choked with the orange, m26 modules. So, yeah, it’s certainly more often situational than not.
Helpful insight. Thank you. I’ve always been interested by it but never really noticed the benefits personally. Things could be going on beneficial unbeknownst to me so that’s why it’s intriguing.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #24,107 of 40,577
Helpful insight. Thank you. I’ve always been interested by it but never really noticed the benefits personally. Things could be going on beneficial unbeknownst to me so that’s why it’s intriguing.
I can remember folks saying the modules help with tinnitus. I suffer with that, and the modules didn't help me with that at all. I do know that when I had the U12 the modules increased the width of stage, increased space. It has been so long since I had that IEM I would have to review the past to engage in detail speak. Daniel is correct, it is a mixed bag of comments, at best.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #24,108 of 40,577
As requested - I decided to grab my U12T from my friend that I lent and do a quick comparison between the Empire Ears Hero and 64 Audio U12T

For some context - I just purchased the Hero yesterday and have been using it pretty much non-stop with some breaks inbetween to compare it with my recently acquired Legend X as well. I would say the Hero has about 20-23 hours of burn-in as I left it playing over night

For starters - I consider myself an amateur as I didn't really get too into this hobby until Jan this year, prior to that I've been using my HD650 for about 3 years or so. I was mainly a headphone guy and tried quite a variety of headphones before settling for my Empyrean now (tried He4xx, HD650, Fostex TH-X00, HD800S, LCD2F, Arya, HeXv2) but due to needing a solution for night time listening and not disturb my SO with openbacks i slowly ventured into IEMs (Blon BL03, Andromeda, Solaris OG, Solaris 2020, Polaris v2, Thie Audio Legacy 3,64 Audio Trio, Final Audio A8000, EE Bravado) as closed backs didnt quite do it for me and the pressure hurted my ears. Its been a pricey 8 months but thats the cost to play in this hobby and now I have developed a better idea on what kind of sound preference I like. I am a closet bass head but I love clarity and detail.

For this comparison I ran them through my RME ADI-2 Dac - Hero on Final E tips and stock Alpha 4 cable, U12T on Final E tips and a 8 core copper cable as the stock cable was unbearable in comfort

64 Audio U12T
- I love this pair of iems and is what made me sell my Andromeda and Solaris 2020
- For this review I only used the M20 module as that is what I prefer
- I have a bit of fitment issues with the U12T if I push the U12T in too much but after hours of listening, I have a better idea on how to get a proper seal and not have any fitment issues
- The bass on the U12T is amazing considering it is BA and not DD, not as powerful or impactful as the Hero
- Mids are super smooth and full but compared to the Hero it can sound a tad thin
- Mids have more clarity with the U12T but not as much energy, which makes the Hero more 'fun' to me
- Highs are super detailed and resolving yet has 'something special' that I cant put the proper word to it
- Staging/Resolution on the U12T feels really natural
- Overall U12T is what I would consider a super smooth IEM, it tends to do a lot of things great but not particularly exceeding in any department

Empire Ears Hero
- Most likely my new all time favorite
- Fitment is comfortable and have the same issue I do with the U12T, it may be due to my inexperience but most of the time I know how to make it feel comfortable for me now, no issues here.
- Bass is amazing, well bodied, and slams hard. I am still surprised by the amount of bass coming from only 1 W9+ driver vs the 2 W9 driver in the LX
- If I had to rate the Bass, the LX will be a +6, Hero a close +5, and U12T a good +2
- Mids on the Hero was the deciding factor on why I chose this over the 64 Audio Nio, its very full bodied
- The Hero presents mids differently than the U12T, it is a tad less detailed and not as clear in comparison but it is no slouch at all. Small price to pay for that sweet sweet bass
- Highs on the Hero have really good energy and detail, once again a bit less than the U12T but it is still what I would considered 'detailed'
- Stage/Resolution on the Hero is good but the U12T has more 'direction' per say
- Overall hero is what I would consider a fun IEM with bass that (in my opinion) is ranked 2nd (1st being the LX)

If I wasn't in the process of buying an Odin, I would honestly keep the U12T and Hero as I feel they compliment each other really well. One for fun listening sessions (Hero) and one for smooth winding down after a long day at work session (U12T).

So where does the Odin come in?
The Odin, to me, does everything the U12T does but takes it up a notch.
Better bass, smoother and more bodied mids, and sparkly + detailed highs
Like I mentioned above, the U12T does everything well but doesn't exceed in any particular department.
Well the Odin seems to do everything the U12T does but just a bit better. Is it worth the extra cost on top? Maybe not for some, but if you consider the overall package of the Odin (i don't believe in cables but if its included, I am a sucker for it), it should be a no brainer for some.

Whats going to happen to my Legend X?
Despite only purchasing it yesterday, I decided to list it for sale locally on CAM.
Reason being is that while I thoroughly enjoy the bass on the LX more than the Hero, I can't get over how fun the Hero is.
On the LX, my mood is less fun and more analytical which is not a bad thing don't get me wrong. But if I am going for a more clarity / analytical listening, I would much prefer the Odin.
The Hero is also more bodied in the mids than the LX ,which to my surprise, is what I prefer.
I might regret this decision, but atleast if I need to change it up in the future the LX might've evolved into LX MK2 or I will be able to get a trade with some cash in my pocket (haha)

Now... if @Jack Vang can make an IEM that sounds like the Hero with 2 W9+ drivers and sound exactly like the Hero with the bass of LX, that would be my endgame.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #24,109 of 40,577
As requested - I decided to grab my U12T from my friend that I lent and do a quick comparison between the Empire Ears Hero and 64 Audio U12T

For some context - I just purchased the Hero yesterday and have been using it pretty much non-stop with some breaks inbetween to compare it with my recently acquired Legend X as well. I would say the Hero has about 20-23 hours of burn-in as I left it playing over night

For starters - I consider myself an amateur as I didn't really get too into this hobby until Jan this year, prior to that I've been using my HD650 for about 3 years or so. I was mainly a headphone guy and tried quite a variety of headphones before settling for my Empyrean now (tried He4xx, HD650, Fostex TH-X00, HD800S, LCD2F, Arya, HeXv2) but due to needing a solution for night time listening and not disturb my SO with openbacks i slowly ventured into IEMs (Blon BL03, Andromeda, Solaris OG, Solaris 2020, Polaris v2, Thie Audio Legacy 3,64 Audio Trio, Final Audio A8000, EE Bravado) as closed backs didnt quite do it for me and the pressure hurted my ears. Its been a pricey 8 months but thats the cost to play in this hobby and now I have developed a better idea on what kind of sound preference I like. I am a closet bass head but I love clarity and detail.

For this comparison I ran them through my RME ADI-2 Dac - Hero on Final E tips and stock Alpha 4 cable, U12T on Final E tips and a 8 core copper cable as the stock cable was unbearable in comfort

64 Audio U12T
- I love this pair of iems and is what made me sell my Andromeda and Solaris 2020
- I have a bit of fitment issues with the U12T if I push the U12T in too much but after hours of listening, I have a better idea on how to get a proper seal and not have any fitment issues
- The bass on the U12T is amazing considering it is BA and not DD, not as powerful or impactful as the Hero
- Mids are super smooth and full but compared to the Hero it can sound a tad thin
- Mids have more clarity with the U12T but not as much energy, which makes the Hero more 'fun' to me
- Highs are super detailed and resolving yet has 'something special' that I cant put the proper word to it
- Overall U12T is what I would consider a super smooth IEM, it tends to do a lot of things great but not particularly exceeding in any department

Empire Ears Hero
- Fitment is comfortable and have the same issue I do with the U12T, it may be due to my inexperience but most of the time I know how to make it feel comfortable for me now, no issues here.
- Bass is amazing, well bodied, and slams hard. I am still surprised by the amount of bass coming from only 1 W9+ driver vs the 2 W9 driver in the LX
- If I had to rate the Bass, the LX will be a +6, Hero a close +5, and U12T a good +2
- Mids on the Hero was the deciding factor on why I chose this over the 64 Audio Nio, its very full bodied
- The Hero presents mids differently than the U12T, it is a tad less detailed and not as clear in comparison but it is no slouch at all. Small price to pay for that sweet sweet bass
- Highs on the Hero have really good energy and detail, once again a bit less than the U12T but it is still what I would considered 'detailed'
- Stage/Resolution on the Hero is good but the U12T has more 'direction' per say
- Overall hero is what I would consider a fun IEM with bass that (in my opinion) is ranked 2nd (1st being the LX)

If I wasn't in the process of buying an Odin, I would honestly keep the U12T and Hero as I feel they compliment each other really well. One for fun listening sessions (Hero) and one for smooth winding down after a long day at work session (U12T).

Like I mentioned above, the U12T does everything well but doesn't exceed in any particular department.
Well the Odin seems to do everything the U12T does but just a bit better. Is it worth the extra cost on top? Maybe not for some, but if you consider the overall package of the Odin (i don't believe in cables but if its included, I am a sucker for it), it should be a no brainer for some.

Despite only purchasing it yesterday, I decided to list it for sale locally on CAM.
Reason being is that well I thoroughly enjoy the bass on the LX more than the Hero, I can't get over how fun the Hero is.
On the LX, my mood is less fun and more analytical which is not a bad thing don't get me wrong. But if I am going for a more clarity / analytical listening, I would much prefer the Odin.
The Hero is also more bodied in the mids than the LX ,which to my surprise, is what I prefer.
I might regret this decision, but atleast if I need to change it up in the future the LX might've evolved into LX MK2 or I will be able to get a trade with some cash in my pocket (haha)

Now... if @Jack Vang can make an IEM that sounds like the Hero with 2 W9+ drivers and sound exactly like the Hero with the bass of LX, that would be my endgame.

I’ve said it before, but endgame is illusory unless one no longer visits new gear sites. There’s always going to be a fresher, more appealing design that will draw us back in. It really is an addiction, at least for me.

Aug 23, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #24,110 of 40,577
Good job explaining it. Came across very clear. I feel the same way you do about basically everything. The only difference is I have a silver cable that pulls the LX mids up and improves the treble to balance the sound out while retaining the bass. @twister6 recently reviewed a cable that seems to have provided a similar result for him on the LX. I think it was the Socrates from eletech. Either way, even with that cable on the LX, the improved resolution on the Hero while not lacking much bass is very appealing.

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #24,111 of 40,577
Mahalo to Bloom Audio @Andrew DiMarcangelo & @stephenkostas, with the quick shipping all the way to Hawaii! Sounds amazing with the Hugo2 and Mass Kobo 428!

IMG_0438.jpg

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #24,112 of 40,577
all these Odin SE showing up , feels like a Bingo game

we have 49 , and i saw a 67 before :xf_cool:

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #24,114 of 40,577

64 Audio U12T

Empire Ears Hero

Reason being is that while I thoroughly enjoy the bass on the LX more than the Hero, I can't get over how fun the Hero is.

Great impressions! You really have fast tracked your journey through IEM-land. I guess it helps to live in a country where you have such easy access to these things.

Very helpful descriptions. I agree with most of them (especially about the U12t, though I personally would give it extra points for resolution and holographic space).

As for your description of Hero, if I didn't read the headline I would have sworn you're describing Nio.

More palpable and powerful bass. Check. More forward, fuller, sweeter and more energetic mids. Check. More restrained but excellent treble. Check. More intimate space. Check.

I'm really curious to hear Hero because it sounds like the same IEM as Nio, only this is an EE thread so people obviously gravitate towards Hero. One for my to-do list.

Thanks again for your impressions.

PS. If you really like that 'fun' sound, I'm not sure something like Odin will do it for you. But then there are so many variables to this hobby you never know. Right now, priced like it is, that level of IEM is only for the very well heeled.

I’ve said it before, but endgame is illusory unless one no longer visits new gear sites. There’s always going to be a fresher, more appealing design that will draw us back in. It really is an addiction, at least for me.
For sure! I've stopped saying 'endgame' and refer instead to 'my current gear'.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #24,115 of 40,577
I have only tried 3 DAPs, I have others, but they are older. I use SP2000 or LPGT and QA361.. My preference is the pairing with the SP2K. To be honest, I have not heard a bad pairing with SP2K. These DAPs are next level as is ODIN. I do think most of these reference DAPs will provide you with a positive experience. 60-70 hours I feel is giving you a decent representation, even though I think the company says 200.

Always great to see the QA361 among other high end DAP ...

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #24,116 of 40,577
Great impressions! You really have fast tracked your journey through IEM-land. I guess it helps to live in a country where you have such easy access to these things.

Very helpful descriptions. I agree with most of them (especially about the U12t, though I personally would give it extra points for resolution and holographic space).

As for your description of Hero, if I didn't read the headline I would have sworn you're describing Nio.

More palpable and powerful bass. Check. More forward, fuller, sweeter and more energetic mids. Check. More restrained but excellent treble. Check. More intimate space. Check.

I'm really curious to hear Hero because it sounds like the same IEM as Nio, only this is an EE thread so people obviously gravitate towards Hero. One for my to-do list.

Thanks again for your impressions.

PS. If you really like that 'fun' sound, I'm not sure something like Odin will do it for you. But then there are so many variables to this hobby you never know. Right now, priced like it is, that level of IEM is only for the very well heeled.

For sure! I've stopped saying 'endgame' and refer instead to 'my current hear'.

I would almost say nio and hero are similar
Except , to me, hero has more energy in the mids and clarity while , most importantly, more bass and sub bass ahaha

As for Odin, it's mainly that I need having two different iem for different types of listening and like my review above, I feel Odin is a step up from U12T which is my wind down and relax kinda iem

Let's see if this stays true after I get my Odin

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #24,118 of 40,577
which astell player is this? and more importantly... how does it pair up with Odin? :smile:

This is se200, i use it for odin about 200hrs now.
I feel the power of se200 is not enough for odin, especially after i pair with fiio m15, k100 and m6pro. Difference is a deeper bass and bigger soundstage.

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #24,119 of 40,577
This is se200, i use it for odin about 200hrs now.
I feel the power of se200 is not enough for odin, especially after i pair with fiio m15, k100 and m6pro. Difference is a deeper bass and bigger soundstage.
Very useful, I actually was going to post here and ask how many folks have tried SE200. The 3 top-end DAPs I have have plenty of driving power using maybe 50% volume. Having power and jacking up volume are obviously two different things. I like the M15 as well, but I returned it because there was that little delay at the beginning of the tracks , when streaming, that was annoying. Did you ever have the issue or did they fix it?

Aug 23, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #24,120 of 40,577
Very useful, I actually was going to post here and ask how many folks have tried SE200. The 3 top-end DAPs I have have plenty of driving power using maybe 50% volume. Having power and jacking up volume are obviously two different things. I like the M15 as well, but I returned it because there was that little delay at the beginning of the tracks , when streaming, that was annoying. Did you ever have the issue or did they fix it?

even on se200, i also have your issues, i guess it may cause by the microsd?
Se200”s sound is very good but i am sure it cant drive odin well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back