Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 22, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #24,076 of 40,577
all this talk about tips , makes me appreciate even more going customs 4 years ago (and never looking back)

unless your ears are extra weird and customs is not an option, my advice is find your dream iem and go custom

no tips , tight fit , perfect sound.

Now if i can find some lost rich uncle that can leave me just 4K to get a custom Odin.....
Don't stop your search! He may be out there.

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #24,077 of 40,577
all this talk about tips , makes me appreciate even more going customs 4 years ago (and never looking back)

unless your ears are extra weird and customs is not an option, my advice is find your dream iem and go custom

no tips , tight fit , perfect sound.

Now if i can find some lost rich uncle that can leave me just 4K to get a custom Odin.....
The IEMs I currently use and love aren't available in custom, alas.

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #24,078 of 40,577
I think Fir use Apex as well, and I don't think it'll be much of a stretch for EE to either license it or create their own version. I'd love to hear @Jack Vang's thoughts on this, because EE did use Apex (or ADEL) at one stage IIRC.

I find it really helps with my (mild) tinnitus. Normally after extended listening with closed IEMs I get a faint ringing in my left ear, even listening at moderate to low volume, and especially with bass-heavy tracks. With Apex IEMs I find I can listen for much longer, at louder volumes, and it never triggers my tinnitus. Maybe I'm just lucky and it works for me, but I know several people who use it for the same reason and it seems to work for them too. Also works great on airplanes apparently (no pressure build up using IEMs on takeoff or landing).

Fir uses ATOM modules; Bogdan Belonozhko is the ex-CEO of 64 Audio & brother of Vitaliy. I believe Jack Vang has stated they stopped using the ADEL modules because they found it difficult to get their targeted sound signatures with the ADEL tech.

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #24,079 of 40,577
I think Fir use Apex as well, and I don't think it'll be much of a stretch for EE to either license it or create their own version. I'd love to hear @Jack Vang's thoughts on this, because EE did use Apex (or ADEL) at one stage IIRC.

EE said a while ago, they could not get the tuning they wanted for the EP and X lines with the ADEL modules. That is why they don’t use any such system.

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #24,081 of 40,577
That makes sense.

Can you do a comparison between Hero and U12t please? You write well, and I'd be interested in how they differ or where they are similar (particularly bass response, vocals, treble energy and detail/resolution). Also soundstage (width/depth).

Thanks!

yep - i will do a comparison between the Hero and U12T
maybe later this week when I get my U12T back from my friend

I have been using the Hero a lot hoping to 'burn in' before this comparison for a better representation (not that i fully believe in 'burn in' but just incase)

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #24,082 of 40,577
yep - i will do a comparison between the Hero and U12T
maybe later this week when I get my U12T back from my friend

I have been using the Hero a lot hoping to 'burn in' before this comparison for a better representation (not that i fully believe in 'burn in' but just incase)
Believe in it or not it is probably a good thing to do if the manufacturer recommends it.

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #24,083 of 40,577
Believe in it or not it is probably a good thing to do if the manufacturer recommends it.

yep 100%
I'm not against it so I like to mention it for clarity

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #24,084 of 40,577

Agreed. final recommends the same with its product.

Aug 22, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #24,086 of 40,577
After burning in for about 60-70hrs, I’m running Odin with Stormbreaker on the DX220 and Amp9 and I must say it sounds sublime. I find Odin performs much better with a warm source. Would like to get some inputs from the rest who have the chance to listen to the Odin with the same setup.

1Z is a warm source and I know you have quite a few 1Zs in your arsenal, have you tried the Odin with it? I’m curious on that pair-up. Thanks!

Aug 22, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #24,087 of 40,577
1Z is a warm source and I know you have quite a few 1Zs in your arsenal, have you tried the Odin with it? I’m curious on that pair-up. Thanks!

Unfortunately my modded 1Z is on loan to a friend for audition now and I’m really interested to try the Odin out of the 1Z too. Once I manage to do that I’ll post an update here.

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #24,088 of 40,577
After burning in for about 60-70hrs, I’m running Odin with Stormbreaker on the DX220 and Amp9 and I must say it sounds sublime. I find Odin performs much better with a warm source. Would like to get some inputs from the rest who have the chance to listen to the Odin with the same setup.
I have only tried 3 DAPs, I have others, but they are older. I use SP2000 or LPGT and QA361.. My preference is the pairing with the SP2K. To be honest, I have not heard a bad pairing with SP2K. These DAPs are next level as is ODIN. I do think most of these reference DAPs will provide you with a positive experience. 60-70 hours I feel is giving you a decent representation, even though I think the company says 200.

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #24,089 of 40,577
I’m actually considering getting an A&K player just for the sake of having the 2.5 output for the Stormbreaker. A used SP2K or the SE200. Either that or I have Stormbreaker re-terminated with a 4.4 plug. More burn in to go for the next couple of days. It’s not getting any rest and is playing 24/7

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #24,090 of 40,577
I’m actually considering getting an A&K player just for the sake of having the 2.5 output for the Stormbreaker. A used SP2K or the SE200. Either that or I have Stormbreaker re-terminated with a 4.4 plug. More burn in to go for the next couple of days. It’s not getting any rest and is playing 24/7
I lucked out because everything I have is 2.5mm. I’m looking into a DAP upgrade soon but just doing the research. Seems like the SE200 is leading the pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back