Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 22, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #24,061 of 40,577
Thanks, that’s helpful. I would be interested in how the Odin sounds with Xelastec compared to the FI also E.
i think , that also depends on the ears .. not only the tips . Xelastecs improved every iem for me , cause it offer just an better seal for my ears than other tips .

Aug 22, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #24,062 of 40,577
I found the the Xelastics to not work well for me. Didn't like how they felt in my ears. Far too sticky. I find the Sedna EarFit Lights to work great for both comfort and seal. There's so many options out there that it just goes to show how different everyone's ears are.

Aug 22, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #24,063 of 40,577
Would you say the U12t is a deeper insert than the Hero? That could be why. Also you won't really notice the pressure after a single listen (unless you're listening really loud), it's more a gradual thing that can affect your hearing. You'll notice it more if you have tinnitus - so if your ears are lightly ringing after a session, I'd be very careful.

Can you do a comparison between Hero and U12t please? You wrote well, and I'd be interested in how they differ or where they are similar (particularly bass response, vocals, treble energy and detail/resolution). Also soundstage (width/depth).

Thanks!

i wouldnt say necessarily the U12T has a deeper insert - but because of the size I can push it in more if that makes sense
The Hero and Legend X if I try to push it in too much the outside of my ears feel sore, which could be mean its angled wrong or I am just not used to it yet.

Aug 22, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #24,065 of 40,577
i wouldnt say necessarily the U12T has a deeper insert - but because of the size I can push it in more if that makes sense
The Hero and Legend X if I try to push it in too much the outside of my ears feel sore, which could be mean its angled wrong or I am just not used to it yet.

It's really dependent on individual ear shapes/canals. I'm able to fit more of the 64Audio IEM's shells into my ear so they don't protrude as much outside the ear, but I am able to get a fuller/better seal with EE IEMs as the shape of the shell is better able to "fill" my ears. I think it's really this "filling" of the ear that creates the tighter seal & is the main culprit of the pressure. There is somewhat of a slight vacuum effect created. I experience this sensation with most acrylic/resin bodied IEMs. Again, it varies from person to person as no two ears are alike. You can try experimenting with different ear tips.

~edit - Also, 64A universal IEMs tend to have a taller/thinner profile, while EE have a "rounder" shape, so this is what could be causing the soreness. Even though the ear is cartilage & flexible, the larger shape of the EE IEMs pushing in/out against your ears could cause some discomfort over time. You could of course go the custom route. This may alleviate the soreness, but not necessarily the pressure, as it would tend to create an even better & "tighter" seal.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #24,066 of 40,577
I found the the Xelastics to not work well for me. Didn't like how they felt in my ears. Far too sticky. I find the Sedna EarFit Lights to work great for both comfort and seal. There's so many options out there that it just goes to show how different everyone's ears are.
I have purchased the Sedna EarFit Lights and the Xelastics in various sizes to try when my Odin’s arrive. A bit apprehensive since I have not used universals for several years now and trying to figure out a good starting place for tips with my small ears. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #24,067 of 40,577
Hey all! Figured I'd contribute my two cents since we're talking about the azla sednas. As of right now I actually like the xelastics cuz I've always had trouble getting iems to stay in my ears, and the stickiness is perfect for solving that. I just wish they'd make them in the 10mm stem as well at the 8, cuz my main tips were the earfit lights for the longest time. I have pretty massive ears though, so I dunno if it'd be the same for those with smaller ears.

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #24,068 of 40,577
It's really dependent on individual ear shapes/canals. I'm able to fit more of the 64Audio IEM's shells into my ear so they don't protrude as much outside the ear, but I am able to get a fuller/better seal with EE IEMs as the shape of the shell is better able to "fill" my ears. I think it's really this "filling" of the ear that creates the tighter seal & is the main culprit of the pressure. There is somewhat of a slight vacuum effect created. I experience this sensation with most acrylic/resin bodied IEMs. Again, it varies from person to person as no two ears are alike. You can try experimenting with different ear tips.

~edit - Also, 64A universal IEMs tend to have a taller/thinner profile, while EE have a "rounder" shape, so this is what could be causing the soreness. Even though the ear is cartilage & flexible, the larger shape of the EE IEMs pushing in/out against your ears could cause some discomfort over time. You could of course go the custom route. This may alleviate the soreness, but not necessarily the pressure, as it would tend to create an even better & "tighter" seal.
And don't forget, 64 Audio IEMs have Apex, which relieves an incredible amount of pressure not only on inserting the IEMs, but also while listening. Also completely eliminates driver flex. I know EE don't think Apex works for their IEMs, but I really wish they would (or come up with a similar system).

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #24,069 of 40,577
That makes sense.

Can you do a comparison between Hero and U12t please? You write well, and I'd be interested in how they differ or where they are similar (particularly bass response, vocals, treble energy and detail/resolution). Also soundstage (width/depth).

Thanks!

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #24,070 of 40,577
And don't forget, 64 Audio IEMs have Apex, which relieves an incredible amount of pressure not only on inserting the IEMs, but also while listening. Also completely eliminates driver flex. I know EE don't think Apex works for their IEMs, but I really wish they would (or come up with a similar system).
I’m sure it’s trademarked. Does it only help certain people? I can’t say I’ve ever really noticed a difference. Again though, it may not be designed for my ears or whatever.

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #24,071 of 40,577
Not sure how much more you can open up the Odin. I honestly have only used the Final E because the sound is sublime as is. Furthermore, I know Odin was tuned with the included cable and tips specifically so I left it be.
I've never quite gelled with Final E tips. I'd have loved to use them because they're so soft and comfortable, but find they do strange things to the mid bass and attenuate treble too much. And not just with one IEM, with every IEM I've tried them on. I find it interesting EE tune their IEMs with these tips, but then they do seem to be quite popular in the community so maybe it's just me.

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #24,072 of 40,577
I've never quite gelled with Final E tips. I'd have loved to use them because they're so soft and comfortable, but find they do strange things to the mid bass and attenuate treble too much. And not just with one IEM, with every IEM I've tried them on. I find it interesting EE tune their IEMs with these tips, but then they do seem to be quite popular in the community so maybe it's just me.
Yea.. ears are weird.

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #24,073 of 40,577
I’m sure it’s trademarked. Does it only help certain people? I can’t say I’ve ever really noticed a difference. Again though, it may not be designed for my ears or whatever.
I think Fir use Apex as well, and I don't think it'll be much of a stretch for EE to either license it or create their own version. I'd love to hear @Jack Vang's thoughts on this, because EE did use Apex (or ADEL) at one stage IIRC.

I find it really helps with my (mild) tinnitus. Normally after extended listening with closed IEMs I get a faint ringing in my left ear, even listening at moderate to low volume, and especially with bass-heavy tracks. With Apex IEMs I find I can listen for much longer, at louder volumes, and it never triggers my tinnitus. Maybe I'm just lucky and it works for me, but I know several people who use it for the same reason and it seems to work for them too. Also works great on airplanes apparently (no pressure build up using IEMs on takeoff or landing).

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #24,074 of 40,577
I think Fir use Apex as well, and I don't think it'll be much of a stretch for EE to either license it or create their own version. I'd love to hear @Jack Vang's thoughts on this, because EE did use Apex (or ADEL) at one stage IIRC.

I find it really helps with my (mild) tinnitus. Normally after extended listening with closed IEMs I get a faint ringing in my left ear, even listening at moderate to low volume, and especially with bass-heavy tracks. With Apex IEMs I find I can listen for much longer, at louder volumes, and it never triggers my tinnitus. Maybe I'm just lucky and it works for me, but I know several people who use it for the same reason and it seems to work for them too. Also works great on airplanes apparently (no pressure build up using IEMs on takeoff or landing).
I’m all for whatever helps people enjoy their equipment more.

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #24,075 of 40,577
all this talk about tips , makes me appreciate even more going customs 4 years ago (and never looking back)

unless your ears are extra weird and customs is not an option, my advice is find your dream iem and go custom

no tips , tight fit , perfect sound.

Now if i can find some lost rich uncle that can leave me just 4K to get a custom Odin.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back