Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 20, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #23,836 of 40,577
@Jack Vang - still waiting for answer on my (now buried deep) question:
For ordering Hero CIEMs (once custom option becomes available), do you need new ear impressions from me? or can you re-use the ones taken by Austin during CanJam SoCal 2019 for my Bravado CIEMs?

Sorry for the delayed reply! We can reuse your molds so long as it the IEMs we made based off of them were a good fit :)

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #23,837 of 40,577
Sorry for the delayed reply! We can reuse your molds so long as it the IEMs we made based off of them were a good fit :)
Thanks Jack! They are a good fit. Why would I want to reuse otherwise?! :laughing:
Austin has done a GREAT job. My only reference point is CIEMs I got from a different brand a year before, also during CanJam, and they had to go back for "readjustment"... even after said readjustment - the Bravados fit better with no readjustments.

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #23,838 of 40,577
Yes. There’s an amazing amount of group think on head fi, and honestly it’s hard to find reviews in this hobby in general thar have meaningful critiques. It’s nearly impossible when a product has just launched.
You either get reviewers that need go ensure their continued stream of free gear or people trying to justify their purchase with the new toy syndrome. Either way, there's too much of a vested interested to even consider any of those to be impartial.

It's impossible to find anything useful close to the product launch for anything I've noticed. Maybe further down the line and if the price tag isn't prohibitively high to access, then there will be usuable references.

That said, this is still a niche hobby and the odds of a B&M locally to go in and demo is really not that viable.

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #23,839 of 40,577
@Jack Vang - still waiting for answer on my (now buried deep) question:
For ordering Hero CIEMs (once custom option becomes available), do you need new ear impressions from me? or can you re-use the ones taken by Austin during CanJam SoCal 2019 for my Bravado CIEMs?

I am not Jack, but Empire Ears keeps the impressions electronically. You can order Hero without new impressions. I ordered a custom Phantom several months after a custom LX and they used my existing ear impressions.

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #23,841 of 40,577
asdasdasdasd.jpg

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #23,844 of 40,577
🤷‍♂️ yeah he posted it on his channel ( youtube )
looks really quite bright...
Frankly since i'm not familiar with his rig or general measurement methodology, the FR chart for the Odin alone - without comparisons to other IEMs - isn't all that useful.
Does he have a catalog of IEMs he's measured with the same rig available?

Aug 20, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #23,846 of 40,577
It's crazy where everything has be blind buy these days or rely on a few reviewers who got the items for free in return for a unbiased review.
Mungster...you could always start reviewing. I think everyone thinks everything is free all of the time, not the case.

Aug 20, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #23,847 of 40,577
🤷‍♂️ yeah he posted it on his channel ( youtube )
looks really quite bright...

All the disclaimers about variations in measurements (and measuring set-ups) notwithstanding, it doesn’t read as bright to me. The most prevalent peak there is at about 2kHz, so its treble should sit around in-line with or a smidge behind the midrange. There looks to be enough sub-to-mid-bass content to fill out the bottom as well. The upper-bass-and-lower-mid dip does look a tad steep, though. But, again, this is only one data point of a possible dozen at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #23,848 of 40,577
All the disclaimers about variations in measurements (and measuring set-ups) notwithstanding, it doesn’t read as bright to me. The most prevalent peak there is at about 2kHz, so its treble should sit around in-line with or a smidge behind the midrange. There looks to be enough sub-to-mid-bass content to fill out the bottom as well. The upper-bass-and-lower-mid dip does look a tad steep. But, again, this is only one data point of a possible dozen.
Well read Deezel...this one sounds a lot as you read it. Obviously, considering tone and timbre and emotion aren't accounted for in the graph. I mentioned it in a post yesterday, I have allowed the ODIN to settle down a little which relaxed the upper mids and lower treble. This could have had the potential for sharpness, but it has clarity.

EDIT: With seasoning, and keep in mind I am using everything stock, I must add that the bass somehow weaves its way in to fill, without interfering, and thus the balance everyone is talking about.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #23,849 of 40,577
All the disclaimers about variations in measurements (and measuring set-ups) notwithstanding, it doesn’t read as bright to me. The most prevalent peak there is at about 2kHz, so its treble should sit around in-line with or a smidge behind the midrange. There looks to be enough sub-to-mid-bass content to fill out the bottom as well. The upper-bass-and-lower-mid dip does look a tad steep, though. But, again, this is only one data point of a possible dozen at the end of the day.
at least we have a first graph :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back