Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 5, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #22,906 of 40,613
Aug 5, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #22,912 of 40,613
There have been some very interesting discussions in the past about the use of tiers or scoring. Personally, I am of the opinion that it makes most sense in a one time "shootout" (or whatever you want to call it) type of format with clearly predefined criteria, rather than lists that are continually updated. The great advantage of the shootout format is that you are directly comparing IEMs to one another in accordance with the predefined criteria, which means the scoring is consistently applied across all IEMs. The main downside of it is that it is an incredible amount of work even with a relatively small number of IEMs. Continually updated rankings have the advantage in that they make it possible to get a global overview of a large number of IEMs. The main downside though is that the comparisons are not as rigorous because you can't compare that many IEMs directly to each other each time a new one is added, which means you would have to go by memory or old notes and that introduces an element variation in the application of any criteria that were initially set. To me (again, just my opinion) that variation is undesirable if I am to give a score or a rank to IEMs because that number would imply a level of exactness that is not really there. Of course I am being very picky here and it does not mean that rankings or tiers aren't useful, it is just to add some nuance.
I did a review like that of the ERLK vs Thummim vs Luna. As you mentioned, what a pain to do it. It takes a ton of time and constant switching of the IEM’s. I also advocate to use a comparison to keep everything straight. For me it was my home system. That then means comparing each IEM to not only each other but my home system. Now we are up to 4 sources to constantly listen to in different ways (whole songs, parts of songs, etc).

I mentioned the tiers because then the IEM under review only needs to be compared to one IEM from a tier to know if it belongs or not. Auditory memory in terms of the details of a sound (not melodies) only lasts seconds,
or maybe minutes if even that long, so memory should not be used. I would think that would make it a bit easier. Nothing will ever be perfect.

But keep reviewing please. I like your work. Tks.

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #22,913 of 40,613
I bet it sounds better tho.... pretty sure that’s what matters.

Bismillah

If sound is all that matters why copy another companies design. It really is sickening and disrespectful? Whether it sounds better or not is subjective but it surely is a copy. Imagine if you spent hundreds of hours designing something just to have another company shamelessly steal your effort and uniqueness.

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #22,914 of 40,613
Bismillah

The hero is a disgusting copy of the Noble Khan. Could you not come up with an original design? Come on!

EE.jpg
EE Hero1_1200x.png
Empire Ears has had this design as one of their premium faceplates for quite some time now, even before the release of the Khan.

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #22,915 of 40,613
Disagree completely. This is a discussion forum and there is no discussion to be had if everyone has the same opinion and all you have is group think. Especially in something so subjective as audio, everyone should feel free to express their opinions, even if they are counter to your own. Deserved or not, it's true that a lot of the popular review sites/YouTubers in this hobby come across as being shills. I think it's natural to believe so because of the construct. Most of the big reviewers get free product from manufacturers to review, which gives the perception they need to keep the positive reviews coming or they otherwise risk the pipeline of free product, and therefore content for their sites/channels, drying up. It gives the perception that reviewers and manufacturers are in bed together. Note: this is a general statement and not directed at Alex/Twister6 at all. Like others have stated, 10+ years in this hobby and I know to just take each review/impression as a single point of data (and truth be told I like his style a lot because it doesn't sound like all fluff and nonsense audiophile terminology and he actually calls out what music he listened to form his opinion).

He said "I like his reviews , even tho I think he might be shilling a little too much. I would rather trust Crin for a more honest opinion. "
Which basically is an expression of his opinion that Twister6's reviews cannot be trust.
I am not saying that everyone should have the same opinion. However, there is a difference between a discussion and a flame war. And this is quite a direct accusation without any arguments or proofs. Getting free products is not equal to marketing. So, unless anyone can prove it to be the opposite, and in this case particularly for Twister's reviews, this is not a discussion of iem or expressing one's opinion, this is just a demonstration of one's infantilism due to the absence of any responsibility for your own words, which is quite common in the internet. Still, common thing does not mean the right thing.

An example to present my point clearer - imagine you accidentally meet George Martin on the street. And he says hello to you. But instead of greeting him in response, you are saying "You know, your books suck. I prefer Tolkien."
Do you have the right for that opinion - yes you do. But this is not a discussion in any way, this is just you lacking manners.

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #22,916 of 40,613
Bismillah

If sound is all that matters why copy another companies design. It really is sickening and disrespectful? Whether it sounds better or not is subjective but it surely is a copy. Imagine if you spent hundreds of hours designing something just to have another company shamelessly steal your effort and uniqueness.
Both of them look like a bowling ball I had when I was younger. I don’t think khan broke the mold either with the design. It’s pretty basic and no one can claim rights to it.

also if that took noble hundreds of hours to design, I feel bad for them.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #22,917 of 40,613
EE Instagram Marble.jpg

Here's one of EE's Instagram's posts from October 13, 2016. They've also never claimed to originate this design. It is a fairly common albeit cool pattern. Just google black & white marble.

~edit - Also, I'm not an EE "fanboy" per se, but that doesn't mean I'm going to sit idly by while someone tries to crap all over them.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #22,919 of 40,613
EE Instagram Marble.jpg

Here's one of EE's Instagram's posts from October 13, 2016. They've also never claimed to originate this design. It is a fairly common albeit cool pattern. Just google black & white marble.

~edit - Also, I'm not an EE "fanboy" per se, but that doesn't mean I'm going to sit idly by while someone tries to crap all over them.

Bismillah

Valid point. Thanks for educating me. I was wrong.

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #22,920 of 40,613
This is why I like putting together my US tours - so HEADFIers can hear and rank them for themselves using their own audio gear and music in the comfort of their own homes. Then we all have something to discuss. :)

I like doing reviews as well, but tend to limit my reviews to only gear I like respectfully declining to review things I do not. Unfortunately, this comes across as me liking everything, but this is not the case. As for tiers and preferences, I definitely believe in tiers, low/med/top tiers then exotic for the best of the best. However, another dimension is use case - audiophile (resolution focus), fun (emotional, textures, holographic), bass (speaker/subwoofer-like), as well as "scale down" for on the go (sounds great on iPhone), or scale up for nice systems (SQ keeps rising with source). This extra dimension makes personal rankings difficult as I use different CIEMs for each of these use cases. However, I will likely have a CIEMs of note section in my new website to show off special cases as well as what I listen to most right now - but this section would be a moving target.

Right now my three most listened to CIEMs are the LX for fun, ELY for textures, and my Valkyrie for on the go as it sounds incredible on my iPhone. My Burson C3R takes all three to the next level with the LX and ELY going into the exotic range edging out full-sized exotic headphones.
Any thoughts is the Burson C3R vs the C3XR? I looked up the C3R and noticed the C3XR but did not notice a difference. Tks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back