Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 26, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #21,736 of 40,613
Hows dx160 in comparison with dx229? Heard quite good things about it.

Agreed on LX needing time to burn in. They really opened up. And bass calmed down. Though it still will not be for everyone, they are not first listen iems.

Yeh Odin is really interesring aswell. Anyone seen any yet?

I love my DX160 and think its SQ is fantastic for it's price point. From what I recall, the DX229 had that tube sound where it's very intimate and warm-which was great for certain genres. To me, the DX160 felt more versatile and it felt more airy/expanded. Although I am sure it loses out a bit on dynamics/technicalities compared to DX220 and it's various AMPs, it's still very musical.

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #21,737 of 40,613
My Bravado’s got delivered on Friday so I’ve had the weekend to listen to them. So far I’m loving them. I’m using the included Final E Silicones but today I’m on transit and looking for better isolation. Anyone have any foam recommends?

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #21,738 of 40,613
Any multiple IEM cases that can be bought in the United States? Would love one like the Can Nuys 6 IEM case.

Jun 29, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #21,739 of 40,613
My Bravado’s got delivered on Friday so I’ve had the weekend to listen to them. So far I’m loving them. I’m using the included Final E Silicones but today I’m on transit and looking for better isolation. Anyone have any foam recommends?
Because of the vent I imagine that isolation will be lower than an all ba set up. That said, I'd imagine complys would work with the bravado's (you'd have to ask for nozzle size) at the expense of treble.

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #21,740 of 40,613
Because of the vent I imagine that isolation will be lower than an all ba set up. That said, I'd imagine complys would work with the bravado's (you'd have to ask for nozzle size) at the expense of treble.

You can use any of the comply 500 series for all EE universals. Tyll did a video (see page 2) on how to use foam tips without losing treble.

Jun 29, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #21,741 of 40,613
If Comply scrunched up the way it is shown in the video, you'd be hearing muffled music. What really seams to be going on with Comply is that the foam itself, which does give a good seal, increases bass and decreases treble. It's about sound transmission. Silicone tips are much flimsier and increase treble and slightly decrease bass. The diameter of the hole also comes into it, but I think the most important part is the material of the tip. Final E tips and Sedna tips look about the same, although the Sedna's have a bigger hole, but part of the Sedna's selling point is the material they are made out of. Or look at the Horn Shaped Tips that were discussed a few pages back. The material is very thin, which is a positive for a warm IEM but a detriment for a more analytical IEM. There's nothing wrong with the video, and it does make sense, but Comply is always going to bring up bass and decrease treble. I've tried nearly every variety (I have two gallon bags full of various tips I've tried) and that is what Comply do.

Jun 29, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #21,742 of 40,613
If Comply scrunched up the way it is shown in the video, you'd be hearing muffled music. What really seams to be going on with Comply is that the foam itself, which does give a good seal, increases bass and decreases treble. It's about sound transmission. Silicone tips are much flimsier and increase treble and slightly decrease bass. The diameter of the hole also comes into it, but I think the most important part is the material of the tip. Final E tips and Sedna tips look about the same, although the Sedna's have a bigger hole, but part of the Sedna's selling point is the material they are made out of. Or look at the Horn Shaped Tips that were discussed a few pages back. The material is very thin, which is a positive for a warm IEM but a detriment for a more analytical IEM. There's nothing wrong with the video, and it does make sense, but Comply is always going to bring up bass and decrease treble. I've tried nearly every variety (I have two gallon bags full of various tips I've tried) and that is what Comply do.

You can use any of the comply 500 series for all EE universals. Tyll did a video (see page 2) on how to use foam tips without losing treble.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses fellas. When I get home from work I'll try the two foam tips I have which are Campfire Marshmallows and Dekoni Bullets. I like the signature I'm hearing with the supplied Final E tips which have a smaller bore compared to my go to silicones which are Whirlwinds and Spiral Dot ++. I don't want more bass as I fid the level is perfect so I might just need to trial and error a bit to find a happy balance.

Jun 29, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #21,743 of 40,613
Thanks for the thoughtful responses fellas. When I get home from work I'll try the two foam tips I have which are Campfire Marshmallows and Dekoni Bullets. I like the signature I'm hearing with the supplied Final E tips which have a smaller bore compared to my go to silicones which are Whirlwinds and Spiral Dot ++. I don't want more bass as I fid the level is perfect so I might just need to trial and error a bit to find a happy balance.
As far as foams go, Marshmallows are best for me. They have the least foamy sound i have heard. Still not silicons of course, but not far off.

As for silicones. Final-e, while do not mess up tonality and sound good, they do reduce soundstage. Wide bore is your friend to cure that. for warmer iems especially. So Sednas, Whirlwinds and Spiral dots are my suggestion.

After roaming around various IEM threads recently, and discussing tips. it seems Azla Sednas are one of most popular all rounders.

Jun 29, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #21,744 of 40,613
Sedna claims to be #1 in Japan. And they have the biggest hole of all the tips I've used, even more than Final E. To my ears they have a wider soundstage, a bit better treble and a bit better bass. I liked the Finals but the Sednas have won out.

Jun 29, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #21,745 of 40,613
Sedna claims to be #1 in Japan. And they have the biggest hole of all the tips I've used, even more than Final E. To my ears they have a wider soundstage, a bit better treble and a bit better bass. I liked the Finals but the Sednas have won out.
I definately like sednas more than Final-E

I might be wrong, but i think whirlwinds have slightly wider bore. but then the difference is quite small. So, as you said earlier. The material and thickness of flange and core will affect the sound more at this point.

Jun 29, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #21,747 of 40,613
True. There are too many factors to affect how tips sound to each individual. So we all end up hearing it at least slightly different..

And not just tips. We sometimes discuss same iem and completely forget that source etc makes significant difference. Sometimes to the point when you start thinking if you ARE having discussion about same iem haha.

Jun 29, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #21,748 of 40,613
True. There are too many factors to affect how tips sound to each individual. So we all end up hearing it at least slightly different..

And not just tips. We sometimes discuss same iem and completely forget that source etc makes significant difference. Sometimes to the point when you start thinking if you ARE having discussion about same iem haha.

Definitely. You will get different impressions from people dependent on dap. A WM1Z will be different from a LPGT for instance.

Jun 29, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #21,749 of 40,613
Are you using standard or short Sednas on EE IEMs? How's the treble compared to Final E? I'm looking for tips to tame the harsh highs on my Nemesis. Foams are uncomfortable for me to wear for longer periods.

Jun 29, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #21,750 of 40,613
I have posted here many times requesting that everyone needs to post source, cable, iem or headphones, types of music and files or streaming when asking questions or making statements. Signature is a great place to AT LEAST put in source, cable and phones. Otherwise, someone says such and such sounds tinny and when you drill down they are listening to streaming on an iPhone or some such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back