Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 2, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #21,511 of 40,724
nice impressions , but i was curious about the price as Noble is the most overpriced iem company around (imo)

and lo and behold , what do you know - Sultan is 600$ more expensive (2900$ to Legend's 2300$)

But of course :xf_cool: .
I'm with you on this one...After getting one of their IEMs, I now understand how overpriced they are.

Haven't tried their new Sultan's though.

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #21,512 of 40,724
Anyone know which size Spinfits or Spiral Dots fit the Nemesis?
Dont think spiral dots come in varied bore size. So if spiral dots fit Nemesis ok. spinfits cp145 might sounded very lean due to poor seal around nozzle. Thats what my experience was with various iems at least. Id go 0.5 smaller for spinfits.
20200602_234914.jpg
Visually its hard to tell is size is different but spinfits internal part is softer.
Unless of course spinfits are meant to sound lean but i doubt it.

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #21,513 of 40,724
Hope this helps. Not sure what the diameter of Spiral Dots are.

What size tips are compatible with your IEMs? If you are seeking Comply Foam tips, the correct size is T500. The bore on our universal IEMs is approximately 6mm in diameter.

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #21,514 of 40,724
Dont think spiral dots come in varied bore size. So if spiral dots fit Nemesis ok. spinfits cp145 might sounded very lean due to poor seal around nozzle. Thats what my experience was with various iems at least. Id go 0.5 smaller for spinfits.
20200602_234914.jpg
Visually its hard to tell is size is different but spinfits internal part is softer.
Unless of course spinfits are meant to sound lean but i doubt it.

Thanks for this! I'll try out Spinfits CP100, as they are designed for smaller nozzles than the CP145.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #21,515 of 40,724
Using little adapters, I put the EA Virtuoso cable from my Solaris on my LX, and I really like how it reins in the bass a bit (I immediately noticed I could listen at higher volume and for longer before that dull aching from so much air pressure on the eardrums kicks in.) The Virtuoso cable is SPC, and I'd like to get an EA Premium Series silver cable with the proper connectors. My goal is to tone down and tighten up the bass and make the high end more open and spacious like the Solaris. Eros II is often mentioned as a great cable for the LX, but what about going all silver with the Thor Silver II? How would Eros II compare with Thor Silver II in terms of sound?

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #21,516 of 40,724
nice impressions , but i was curious about the price as Noble is the most overpriced iem company around (imo)

and lo and behold , what do you know - Sultan is 600$ more expensive (2900$ to Legend's 2300$)

But of course :xf_cool: .

I don't wish to go down the rabbit hole of whether a particular IEM is 'overpriced' as there's always arguments for and against and conflicting opinions on the matter.

What I think should be stated in terms of fairness and balance is that you're comparing a newly-released flagship vs an IEM that's a few years old now.

We've all seen the trend towards ever increasing prices in the TOTL range - again, I won't go down that rabbit hole; it is what it is and, whilst I'm sure we all wish prices would stay low forever, everyone is free to take it or leave it as they wish.

It seems to me that most of the big IEM companies producing TOTL flagships are now charging $2k - $3k or more, especially ones released in the last 6 months or so.
With this regard, I don't feel the prices of the Sultan, the Wraith, or similar IEMs are big news anymore. Like it or not, it's 'the new normal'.
As ever, for some, one of those IEMs might seem like poor value with a sound signature that doesn't suit their personal tastes, whilst to others, it's audio nirvana and a price worth paying :)
Based on those tantalising impressions from @SLC1966 I suspect I might really enjoy the sound of the Sultan.

I imagine the forthcoming Odin will cost at least the same - or more - as the Sultan.
Whilst of course I wish the Odin would be priced at $1000 - or $100! - if it sounds anywhere near as good as I suspect, then I'll buy it anyway, and consider it money well-spent :)
Each to his own, of course

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #21,517 of 40,724
I don't wish to go down the rabbit hole of whether a particular IEM is 'overpriced' as there's always arguments for and against and conflicting opinions on the matter.

What I think should be stated in terms of fairness and balance is that you're comparing a newly-released flagship vs an IEM that's a few years old now.

We've all seen the trend towards ever increasing prices in the TOTL range - again, I won't go down that rabbit hole; it is what it is and, whilst I'm sure we all wish prices would stay low forever, everyone is free to take it or leave it as they wish.

It seems to me that most of the big IEM companies producing TOTL flagships are now charging $2k - $3k or more, especially ones released in the last 6 months or so.
With this regard, I don't feel the prices of the Sultan, the Wraith, or similar IEMs are big news anymore. Like it or not, it's 'the new normal'.
As ever, for some, one of those IEMs might seem like poor value with a sound signature that doesn't suit their personal tastes, whilst to others, it's audio nirvana and a price worth paying :)
Based on those tantalising impressions from @SLC1966 I suspect I might really enjoy the sound of the Sultan.

I imagine the forthcoming Odin will cost at least the same - or more - as the Sultan.
Whilst of course I wish the Odin would be priced at $1000 - or $100! - if it sounds anywhere near as good as I suspect, then I'll buy it anyway, and consider it money well-spent :)

I really, really hope EE pulls a blinder with the Odin and maybe slots it in just above the Legend X price, while maybe lowering the price of the Legend X at the same time to cement the hierarchy.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #21,518 of 40,724

So well put. It's your money and that's how consumers speak. Value, beauty etc are in the eye of the beholder or listener. I can't wait to hear the Odin. I know how Dean tunes his IEM's. I was blessed to spend nearly a day with him when he was playing with some of the drivers that EE is now using in their top IEM's and I can tell you that he has a great ear and knows what he's doing. We all see the final results, but he works daily on new R&D. I know others do also, but man is he dedicated to finding the tuning that we all love. EE gives us so many options now for bass heads, rockers, symphonic, electronic and the rest. Being a 2 channel, high end guy, I personally need something that is close to what I may hear at a concert, but even then we are listening through a producer. I like electronics and transducers that will give me as much of what the producer put down. The portable world is totally different. It just is, but it's still just as fun for me. Heck, my TOTL IEM's were ruined by UPS, so now I'll audition the Odin and probably Wraith too. I may also try to hear the Legend. Owned the Phantom's and love them, but I want a bit more 'fun' factor now.

So many of you folks roll your IEM's anyways, so you can get a few different listening curves and go from there. It's the best time to be into portable audio. I wish I had the time to listen more on the go. At home, I have my main system and my bedroom system, so I don't need cans/IEM's here 99% of the time. Only on the elliptical, lol.....

Heck, I remember when the high end (2 channel) started to raise the prices of speakers (first things to get raised). Much was artificial. There were many designers who just raised prices even though their costs remained similar to what they had been. Folks still purchased and in fact, spend even more, so the amp companies followed suit and so on. That's why I see here to an extent but there are so many great options at all price ranges. Sorry for the long diatribe.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #21,519 of 40,724
I really, really hope EE pulls a blinder with the Odin and maybe slots it in just above the Legend X price, while maybe lowering the price of the Legend X at the same time to cement the hierarchy.

My guess would be that it's going to be similar to the Phantom and Legend X when they were released. Two top tier IEM"s with different signatures. That's the exciting part to see how Dean can push the envelope right now.

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #21,521 of 40,724
My guess would be that it's going to be similar to the Phantom and Legend X when they were released. Two top tier IEM"s with different signatures. That's the exciting part to see how Dean can push the envelope right now.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what they produce. I love my Legend.

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #21,522 of 40,724
Using little adapters, I put the EA Virtuoso cable from my Solaris on my LX, and I really like how it reins in the bass a bit (I immediately noticed I could listen at higher volume and for longer before that dull aching from so much air pressure on the eardrums kicks in.) The Virtuoso cable is SPC, and I'd like to get an EA Premium Series silver cable with the proper connectors. My goal is to tone down and tighten up the bass and make the high end more open and spacious like the Solaris. Eros II is often mentioned as a great cable for the LX, but what about going all silver with the Thor Silver II? How would Eros II compare with Thor Silver II in terms of sound?
I have a level 4 litz spc 4 wire on my LX and it did exactly what you are attempting to accomplish.
3B0A94B5-0DB9-43BD-BDC8-9DB512E9AB2F.jpeg

She’s chunky but works wonders. Comparison next to Solaris stock cable for reference.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #21,523 of 40,724
I am super interested in the new TOTL release from Empire Ears. I have not found an estat configuration that didn't sound separate from the mix but I am always open, on it's own island. Maybe that comes down to coherency. We will see if that is part of Odin's configuration. Maybe I will have a chance to review it as well.

My review of Legend X was a year in the making but it goes down as a technical marvel. I felt the same about the Zeus XIV. Both leaders in their class and technically the best I have heard. I probably shouldn't say that being a reviewer, but it is fact. Sometimes there is a fine line between technical prowess and just enjoying the signature. The X was both to me.

I also admire the business practice of Empire Ears so that is the whip cream and the cherry!

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #21,524 of 40,724
I am here and using EE over others for the very reason you stated... I like their business model and the people. I have met some wonderful folks in portable audio. The Effect Cable guys were so cool and fun too, so I can see why Jack works with them.

I can't wait to hear the Odin also. I just got of the phone with my server/DAC designer and asked him if he would build me a special headphone amp/DAC for me to play with. He said that he can do that for me (he sends me his prototypes to voice). If so, it's one that would retail for over 8k with what he uses (caps can get very expensive as are the controls as they use separate resistors for each setting adn they have to match them perfectly so each side is identical. It will be a blast to try the Odin out on it.

I'm sure the Odin will have good coherency. That is one of the best thing about the Phantom for me. I'm highly sensitive to that as well as soundstage depth and width. We all are sensitive to different things and it's why we often like different devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back