Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 1, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #21,496 of 40,723
Mk.I or Mk.II Zombie? I had both Legend X and the Zombie Mk.I over at one point, although not together at the same time (reviewed the Zombie, just enjoyed Legend X). Legend X was technically superior to the Zombie Mk.I in my opinion, with a tighter bass, much more physicality and overall coherency was better in my opinion. I still loved the Zombie Mk.I, but it was less refined. Don't know how the Zombie Mk.II compares. I think it improved on the Mk.I (from what I have been told by a friend) and might be closer to Legend X, but I haven't had a chance to hear those myself.
Not sure how differenet mk1 and mk2 are. But i think they are not far off.
I like botique companies and their attemts in various experimental drive configurations.
Just for some reason i dont think they should be priced at almost the level of legend X.
I mean no crossover, no unobtanium driver materials. So where is that money going to? Probably missing something.

But otherwise Zombie are very interesting set up. Just was not sure how technically cabable they are.

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #21,497 of 40,723
Not sure how differenet mk1 and mk2 are. But i think they are not far off.
I like botique companies and their attemts in various experimental drive configurations.
Just for some reason i dont think they should be priced at almost the level of legend X.
I mean no crossover, no unobtanium driver materials. So where is that money going to? Probably missing something.

But otherwise Zombie are very interesting set up. Just was not sure how technically cabable they are.
I don't know about the Zombie as such, but do know that Rhapsodio is a really small company. Basically it is just Sammy being a mad audio scientist and I know from a friend who is close to Sammy that he often ends up broke because of the way he works. My guess is that any profit he makes goes straight into one of his new ideas and he has many more than you ever see on his website because he keeps experimenting. I like Sammy for that. He is just good old fashioned bonkers. :grin:

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #21,498 of 40,723
Just to go back to the discussion around the "special edition" Legend X's, EE confirmed to me via email that the differences between the standard LX and the gold JP version is/was strictly aesthetic: "Brushed Gold faceplates and Storm shells as opposed to the standard Onyx FP and Shells. The tuning was unaffected."
And, again, the true special edition (sold exclusively via Crystal Sound Audio in HK) has Effect Audio internal wiring - it's this different wiring (and only the different wiring) that results in a slightly altered sound signature.

Jun 1, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #21,499 of 40,723
I don't know about the Zombie as such, but do know that Rhapsodio is a really small company. Basically it is just Sammy being a mad audio scientist and I know from a friend who is close to Sammy that he often ends up broke because of the way he works. My guess is that any profit he makes goes straight into one of his new ideas and he has many more than you ever see on his website because he keeps experimenting. I like Sammy for that. He is just good old fashioned bonkers. :grin:
It sound very similar to IMR Acoustics. Where Bob is doing losts of interesting projects. I own couple of his iems. He has managed to
Improve quite well with his new line ups. And his price to performance ratio is quite good. But he ussualy makes iems in limited runs.
I suppose price will vary depending on how many component are made and assembled in house. And scale of a project.

Jun 1, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #21,500 of 40,723
It sound very similar to IMR Acoustics. Where Bob is doing losts of interesting projects. I own couple of his iems. He has managed to
Improve quite well with his new line ups. And his price to performance ratio is quite good. But he ussualy makes iems in limited runs.
I suppose price will vary depending on how many component are made and assembled in house. And scale of a project.
Not too familiar with IMR, although I have seen some of the IEMs around. Sammy though pushes into extremes like platinum plated silver CIEMs, black silver universal Zombies, that sort of wild stuff. But that is getting pretty off-topic for this thread. Sound wise I absolutely loved Legend X and still think that they have the best bass out there in terms of sheer physicality. Can never quite forget that, which is saying something considering the gear I have heard since then.

Jun 1, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #21,502 of 40,723
Just to go back to the discussion around the "special edition" Legend X's, EE confirmed to me via email that the differences between the standard LX and the gold JP version is/was strictly aesthetic: "Brushed Gold faceplates and Storm shells as opposed to the standard Onyx FP and Shells. The tuning was unaffected."
And, again, the true special edition (sold exclusively via Crystal Sound Audio in HK) has Effect Audio internal wiring - it's this different wiring (and only the different wiring) that results in a slightly altered sound signature.

Thanks for confirming and good to know. The Golds/standard sound pretty amazing with mids/vocals being the standout for me. The SE prob is even better with the bumps in the mid range.

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #21,503 of 40,723
Thanks for confirming and good to know. The Golds/standard sound pretty amazing with mids/vocals being the standout for me. The SE prob is even better with the bumps in the mid range.
Yes I’m very curious to hear impressions of the SE versus the standard LX

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #21,504 of 40,723

The SE is in the mail, hopefully it will arrive soon :)

Really enjoying the OG LX since switching to a wide bore tip.

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #21,505 of 40,723
The SE is in the mail, hopefully it will arrive soon :)

Really enjoying the OG LX since switching to a wide bore tip.
🤯🙌

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #21,506 of 40,723
The different between LXSE and LX is mostly in mid the high, low remain the same for me. Vocal is more up front in LXSE and the high will go higher in LXSE. LX vocal is more lay back style. LXSE vocal is about the same position as Phantom. This is what I have listened, but may not hold true to everyone, as everyone hear thing differently. So it is really depend on personal taste on choosing LX or LXSE.

Technical standpoint LXSE is better LX if everything on the same level ground. But it is never will be as LX is released over a year of LXSE. The “run-ined” LX will be on par with LXSE without run-in. It also has a upfront vocal as LXSE. I know not everyone believe in run-in the gear, think that it is faked. I am not here to persuade you to believe in it. I just tell what I come across and hear the different. Anyway, enjoy listening to music.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #21,507 of 40,723
@Rockwell75 Thank you for recommending the Sedna's mate. Fantastic tips for the LX. They have unleashed the treble that was missing, and has tightened up the bass. Damn, these are addictive sounding IEM's.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #21,508 of 40,723
I posted this in the Noble Audio thread. But since the Legend X is involved I thought I would post it here also:

Noble Sultan and Empire Ears Legend X

A little over two years ago a bit after the start of my IEM obsession, I purchased the Legend X. I ended up selling it about a month later.. Looking back I now know I let it go due to my lack of IEM nubility. I was younger and more innocent and lacked experience.

I was like a 15 year old trying to data a mature 20 year old. Just not ready! About a month ago, I was looking for a mature IEM that was an anomaly and nothing like anything else. My mind went back to that mature 20 year old. I was two years older and 40 IEMs more experienced. I have had the Legend X for a little over a month now. It fills the fun, dark, heavy, complex, mature IEM slot that was missing in my life.

And then the Noble Sultan showed up at my door last week. Well hello Sultry Sultan! Both are complex and mature in a different way. The Sultan wants your attention and keeps it.. Both are chameleons and can display their strengths in different ways depending on the song. The Sultan is a wonderful slightly forward W shaped, well layered IEM. To me the LX is an L shaped IEM. Bass gets the most attention (depending on the song), then the mids and then treble. The mids of the LX are the reason I will keep them. I need mids. I do not like scooped out. I also need vocals that are not hanging way back there. Both IEMs shine with vocals just in different ways.

What is wonderful is IMHO is that I could have just these two and be content. Well maybe not. I would need to throw in a smooth mellow warm IEM for those retirement moments!

LX has 2 DDs and 5 BAs. The Sultan has 1 DD, 4 BAs, and 2 Estats. Both take about the same effort to drive. Both have completely black backgrounds on my Cayin N6ii with E02 module.

The LX has a softer treble and is further back in the presentation. LX has thicker male vocals. Sultan has more intimate vocals. Sultan female vocals have a better timbre than LX. It is almost like the with the LX, the female voices are not being allowed to be at their best due to the darker emphasis with the LX.

LX has rounder notes. LX is warmer. LX has mildly thicker bass on songs that are not bass heavy (that says a lot about the quality of the bass of the Sultan). The Sultan bass is no slouch. It is a combination of visceral sub bass and mid bass on top of that. LX has more sub bass classic subwoofer sound.

The LX turns Fleetwood Macs song Dreams into a mellow and darker song with some nice sub bass thrown in. With the Sultan it is a super layered song with all parts mildly forward and asking for your attention.

The song Agbada Bougou from Tony Allen and Hugh Masekela consists off strictly bass. drums and Flugelhorn. Sultan emphasizes the cymbals with an amazing sub and mid bass. LX presents the song as darker with the sub bass emphasis and a fuller Flugelhorn and then cymbals are emphasized last. They take a wonderful song and make it sound great in two different ways.

Now take a bass heavy song like Lose Yourself To Dance from Daft Punk. LX presents scary scary goose bump inducing sub bass. It reminded me of being in my brothers Chevrolet Chevette many years ago with sub woofers that took up the whole back seat and part of the trunk. Then there is the rest of the song if you can make it through the Sub bass.

The Sultan presents the song in a more balanced fashion and more forward. The bass is still visceral and can be literally felt just not Chevrolet Chevette subwoofer felt. The vocals shine more on this song with the Sultan as well as everything else.

The LX is a classic and IMHO the Sultan will be a classic that is referenced in a good way as much as the LX. And that alone says a lot about the quality of sound coming from the Sultan. What is nice is that they both are amazing IEMs. They can both be in someones collection and coexist because they do not overlap much other than both bring joy but in different ways. I try not to keep them in the same drawer for storage. Personality conflicts and egos get in the way!

IMG_9214.jpg

IMG_9215.jpg

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #21,509 of 40,723
I posted this in the Noble Audio thread. But since the Legend X is involved I thought I would post it here also:

Noble Sultan and Empire Ears Legend X

A little over two years ago a bit after the start of my IEM obsession, I purchased the Legend X. I ended up selling it about a month later.. Looking back I now know I let it go due to my lack of IEM nubility. I was younger and more innocent and lacked experience.

I was like a 15 year old trying to data a mature 20 year old. Just not ready! About a month ago, I was looking for a mature IEM that was an anomaly and nothing like anything else. My mind went back to that mature 20 year old. I was two years older and 40 IEMs more experienced. I have had the Legend X for a little over a month now. It fills the fun, dark, heavy, complex, mature IEM slot that was missing in my life.

And then the Noble Sultan showed up at my door last week. Well hello Sultry Sultan! Both are complex and mature in a different way. The Sultan wants your attention and keeps it.. Both are chameleons and can display their strengths in different ways depending on the song. The Sultan is a wonderful slightly forward W shaped, well layered IEM. To me the LX is an L shaped IEM. Bass gets the most attention (depending on the song), then the mids and then treble. The mids of the LX are the reason I will keep them. I need mids. I do not like scooped out. I also need vocals that are not hanging way back there. Both IEMs shine with vocals just in different ways.

What is wonderful is IMHO is that I could have just these two and be content. Well maybe not. I would need to throw in a smooth mellow warm IEM for those retirement moments!

LX has 2 DDs and 5 BAs. The Sultan has 1 DD, 4 BAs, and 2 Estats. Both take about the same effort to drive. Both have completely black backgrounds on my Cayin N6ii with E02 module.

The LX has a softer treble and is further back in the presentation. LX has thicker male vocals. Sultan has more intimate vocals. Sultan female vocals have a better timbre than LX. It is almost like the with the LX, the female voices are not being allowed to be at their best due to the darker emphasis with the LX.

LX has rounder notes. LX is warmer. LX has mildly thicker bass on songs that are not bass heavy (that says a lot about the quality of the bass of the Sultan). The Sultan bass is no slouch. It is a combination of visceral sub bass and mid bass on top of that. LX has more sub bass classic subwoofer sound.

The LX turns Fleetwood Macs song Dreams into a mellow and darker song with some nice sub bass thrown in. With the Sultan it is a super layered song with all parts mildly forward and asking for your attention.

The song Agbada Bougou from Tony Allen and Hugh Masekela consists off strictly bass. drums and Flugelhorn. Sultan emphasizes the cymbals with an amazing sub and mid bass. LX presents the song as darker with the sub bass emphasis and a fuller Flugelhorn and then cymbals are emphasized last. They take a wonderful song and make it sound great in two different ways.

Now take a bass heavy song like Lose Yourself To Dance from Daft Punk. LX presents scary scary goose bump inducing sub bass. It reminded me of being in my brothers Chevrolet Chevette many years ago with sub woofers that took up the whole back seat and part of the trunk. Then there is the rest of the song if you can make it through the Sub bass.

The Sultan presents the song in a more balanced fashion and more forward. The bass is still visceral and can be literally felt just not Chevrolet Chevette subwoofer felt. The vocals shine more on this song with the Sultan as well as everything else.

The LX is a classic and IMHO the Sultan will be a classic that is referenced in a good way as much as the LX. And that alone says a lot about the quality of sound coming from the Sultan. What is nice is that they both are amazing IEMs. They can both be in someones collection and coexist because they do not overlap much other than both bring joy but in different ways. I try not to keep them in the same drawer for storage. Personality conflicts and egos get in the way!

nice impressions , but i was curious about the price as Noble is the most overpriced iem company around (imo)

and lo and behold , what do you know - Sultan is 600$ more expensive (2900$ to Legend's 2300$)

But of course :xf_cool: .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back