Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 23, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #21,076 of 40,577
Hmmm perhaps... the thing was that I had my impressions taken by the guy making my customs himself hahaha. Did your LX sound differ from the universal demo? I wonder if there is unit variance with the dynamic drivers in different sized custom shells resulting in different quantities of air flow
Sounds like an interesting situation lol. From memory no, my legend x custom sounded the same as my universal.

My Legend X and Phantom also sound the same as the universals I auditioned from memory.

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #21,078 of 40,577
My first 64 Audio and first Empire Ears customs fit perfectly right out of the box. As other suggested, your impressions are not good enough. Are you getting pain or just an odd feeling. If an odd feeling, give it some time as it may be that you just need to get used to it being in your ear. If pain, then you definitely would need to get it corrected.
It was definitely pain 20 minutes into wearing it that was the problem at first. My refits then fluctuated between pain spots and sound leakage. Not a good experience for spending so much on customs. Thanks for sharing :)
I'm keeping an eye on any new releases from EE for the time-being. I thought the valk might have been it but the mids were a little too thin for my liking

Apr 23, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #21,079 of 40,577
It was definitely pain 20 minutes into wearing it that was the problem at first. My refits then fluctuated between pain spots and sound leakage. Not a good experience for spending so much on customs. Thanks for sharing :)
I'm keeping an eye on any new releases from EE for the time-being. I thought the valk might have been it but the mids were a little too thin for my liking
Yeah, I would say to try a brand new set of impressions with a trusted audiologist. You can ask them if they have experience with Musicians or custom hearing aids. Also good check is ask you local dealer if they recommend someone in the area, some of them have a few names to suggest.

Apr 23, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #21,080 of 40,577
looks like you got bad impressions , which is a shame

i have a EE Zeus XR for 3.5 years , zero pain and total comfort (and same goes for the other custom iem i have from custom arts)

make sure your impressions go past the 2nd bend (whatever that means) and it goes without saying that finding an audiologist that has prior experience with CIEMs is the most important part of impressions

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #21,081 of 40,577
looks like you got bad impressions , which is a shame

i have a EE Zeus XR for 3.5 years , zero pain and total comfort (and same goes for the other custom iem i have from custom arts)

make sure your impressions go past the 2nd bend (whatever that means) and it goes without saying that finding an audiologist that has prior experience with CIEMs is the most important part of impressions
Thanks for the tips guys and the "success stories" guys! Much appreciated :)

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #21,082 of 40,577
Also make sure you go to an audiologist who knows what ciems are and get your ears checked for wax build up before going.

Apr 23, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #21,083 of 40,577

Also print off the impression directions from the manufacturer and take it to the audiologist you choose.

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #21,084 of 40,577
this is the best forum i have been to , zero fights and just amazing help vibes

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #21,086 of 40,577
If worse comes to worse and you still struggle with fit (been there done that, bought the t-shirt)perhaps the audiophile fit of Campfire Audio new ones might be of use? Saying that it still comes down to decent impressions.

Apr 23, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #21,087 of 40,577
If worse comes to worse and you still struggle with fit (been there done that, bought the t-shirt)perhaps the audiophile fit of Campfire Audio new ones might be of use? Saying that it still comes down to decent impressions.
Ah yes, I believe that the nozzle doesn't go pass the 2nd bend there so it might feel less intrusive. Tried their Equinox before and would like to try out their Solstice too!

Apr 23, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #21,088 of 40,577
Chiming in to note that my LX fit perfectly on the first try and have remained 100% comfortable, and I can wear them for as long as I feel like with zero issues. I had them taken by @ajyagle at EE, which may help :). (I also have cavernous ears, so that probably helps a little bit too.) Sound is the same by memory vs the uni demo, save for maybe some slight perceptional differences caused by better isolation.

as far as insertion depth, i dunno—i could go deeper with some long-stemmed unis, but i kind of needed to to get a good fit. my LX next to my Fearless S8F:

IMG_20200228_171925.jpg

IMG_20200228_172117.jpg
IMG_20200228_171946.jpg

Apr 23, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #21,089 of 40,577
Chiming in to note that my LX fit perfectly on the first try and have remained 100% comfortable, and I can wear them for as long as I feel like with zero issues. I had them taken by @ajyagle at EE, which may help :). (I also have cavernous ears, so that probably helps a little bit too.) Sound is the same by memory vs the uni demo, save for maybe some slight perceptional differences caused by better isolation.

as far as insertion depth, i dunno—i could go deeper with some long-stemmed unis, but i kind of needed to to get a good fit. my LX next to my Fearless S8F:

Wonderful pictures! The Abalone faceplate X clear body looks gorgeous. I personally fancy the Blackberry burl with storm shells hehe with the gold wings logo on both sides

Apr 24, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #21,090 of 40,577
Fast, probably naive question: I have custom Phantoms, and ordered a pair of universal Valkyries to see if I want these as well. After some quick listening, I think the answer is yes: the Phantom and Valks are very different, both great in their own way.

Now to the question: I need to turn the volume up quite a bit on my AK SP1000 for the Valks. On the Phantoms I listen at level ~50, but the Valks need ~70 for the same output (same cable, balanced Janus D). I'm confused since the impedance is higher on the Phantoms – shouldn't it be the other way around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back