Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 28, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #13,801 of 40,579
Is there really much difference between the clear and black tips? Finally (!) got a set in for another universal ciem I have (custom art's music two) and have at last found a set of tips that seem to fit me quite well. The place I had got them from (hifiheadphones) only had the multipack in clear but do sell the blacks in sets. If there is a difference I may pick up a set of the size that fits.

Thanks

density of the silicone between the clear and the opaque is different with the clear being a tad softer iirc

May 28, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #13,802 of 40,579
As good the TOTL pair sound, the Vantage I feel shouldn't be overlooked. It has a sound quality that I think many would like. As a Zeus owner, I really enjoyed the Vantage quite a lot. It has an enjoyable warm tuning to my ears while pairing it with the SP1000. It also has the dynamic bass quality of the Legend X, and the smooth sound of the Phantom, maybe clearer. If I would get another EE IEM to complement the Zeus, I think the Vantage would be it. I tried the Phantom several times now, and the sound signature just couldn't suit well with my taste, despite its excellent technicalities and emotional presentation. The Legend X too, which I felt was 'too good', big bass, forward mids, and clear treble; lacking a bit of contrast necessary to accentuate/highlight any of them, and a bit of harmony in its overall sound. YMMV of course. :)

You bring up a very entry that I overlook as this is customs. it combines both world.

the downside is I have to get a audiobiologist to get this done right.

May 28, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #13,803 of 40,579
density of the silicone between the clear and the opaque is different with the clear being a tad softer iirc
I found a fit difference (preferred the black), a sound difference, though slight (preferred the black) and a big difference in getting the tips to mount on the iems (the clears were much more difficult). The link to Michael Brown is one I posted I while back after contacting him at the FA US distributorship. He's the go-to guy for FA. If you contact him, he'll take care of you.

May 28, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #13,804 of 40,579
...lacking a bit of contrast necessary to accentuate/highlight any of them
That smooth sound many people like took away the differentiation of the various parts of the music, and made it a beautiful wash of sound. I prefer the differentiation (contrast). Nice! :)

May 28, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #13,805 of 40,579
I found a fit difference (preferred the black), a sound difference, though slight (preferred the black) and a big difference in getting the tips to mount on the iems (the clears were much more difficult). The link to Michael Brown is one I posted I while back after contacting him at the FA US distributorship. He's the go-to guy for FA. If you contact him, he'll take care of you.

Thanks, am in the uk though so guessing they don't ship internationally? It's annoying as hifiheadphones have the clear multipack but not the black. Guessing the difference in silicone density might be the reason I could be getting a better fit with these. That said I really didn't have any issue with getting the tips on the iems I am using with them. Usually small is too small and medium too big. So far the second from largest size seems to fit my right ear well (real world testing starts when I get back to work this week :frowning2: ). I'm getting fed up with fit issues when trying ciems (don't ask) so finding tips that fit is important to me.

Thanks

May 28, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #13,806 of 40,579
I think I read that someone got them shipped. If not I'm sure he can point you at a dealer more local to you, or maybe a distributor closer to you. Email him, nothing to lose. :)

May 28, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #13,808 of 40,579
Vantage preferred to Legend?

If you're after more warmth, naturalness and smoothness - and you'd like a softer, more radiant bass rather than a guttural, rumbly one - then the Vantage will suit you better than the Legend X. The Legend X has the edge in headroom and stage expansion, but again, they cater to different preferences.

May 28, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #13,809 of 40,579
If you're after more warmth, naturalness and smoothness - and you'd like a softer, more radiant bass rather than a guttural, rumbly one - then the Vantage will suit you better than the Legend X. The Legend X has the edge in headroom and stage expansion, but again, they cater to different preferences.
From what I'm reading so far, L should be plenty warm too, i guess I'll find out tomorrow,, but won't get to hear Vantage or others, my L has been kept due to holidays for 2 days

May 28, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #13,810 of 40,579
From what I'm reading so far, L should be plenty warm too, i guess I'll find out tomorrow,, but won't get to hear Vantage or others, my L has been kept due to holidays for 2 days

It's fuller compared to flagships like the A18t or the Tia Fourte, but the LX is rather neutral overall in tone IMO. The Vantage is warmer because of its mid-bass emphasis, while the LX has more sub- than mid-bass. The Vantage and the LX in terms of balance aren't far off, so you should be able to somewhat imagine the warmer Vantage once you hear the LX in a couple of days as you've said.

May 28, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #13,811 of 40,579
It's fuller compared to flagships like the A18t or the Tia Fourte, but the LX is rather neutral overall in tone IMO. The Vantage is warmer because of its mid-bass emphasis, while the LX has more sub- than mid-bass. The Vantage and the LX in terms of balance aren't far off, so you should be able to somewhat imagine the warmer Vantage once you hear the LX in a couple of days as you've said.
The mid bass warmth might not be my preference if something like Oriolus kinda thick, id definitely favour the sub bass, thank you for your help.
Just so praying id get 10%off as it was literally 2 days before and im not in the States

May 28, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #13,812 of 40,579
Try a Jodi Vac mate. They're great for cleaning IEMs. I clean my IEMs frequently.

I personally clean my ears quite regularly, so almost zero wax/debris ever accumulates in my IEMs. But, if they do, the stock cleaning tool that comes with most CIEMs is close to useless when the wax goes anywhere past the end of the sound tube. The Jodi-Vac will be a life saver in those circumstances. I personally own the Consumer (for both acrylic and silicone CIEMs) and I've never felt the need for anything more.

I just purchased the Jodi Consumer vac. It works very well. I got good suction on the Zeus (much less on the UERM, the bores are wider), and even though I don't have ear wax, I work up a good sweat and likely shed skin cells when walking with the IEM's in my ears. It cleaned the Zeus up nicely, simple to use, not loud at all, and the best part is that when my hearing finally really goes in the quite foreseeable nearly soon future I can use it on my hearing aids. Win-win. :)

thank you all for the feedback guys , just ordered one from amazon us - great price at 93$ and a friend of mine will bring it to Greece in 1 month , so no custom taxes etc

this should be a very helpful tool , can not wait to try it on my Zeus / NT6

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #13,814 of 40,579
I wish eveey iem was silicone

How come? Silicone has several disadvantages compared to acrylic. They're much harder to maintain (requiring regular cleaning and proper storage), significantly harder to insert and pull out and they don't allow as much customisation.

May 28, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #13,815 of 40,579
How come? Silicone has several disadvantages compared to acrylic. They're much harder to maintain (requiring regular cleaning and proper storage), significantly harder to insert and pull out and they don't allow as much customisation.

I feel like they would be ok with mild fit issues as it's flexible in nature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back