Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #12,841 of 40,613
Personally, I have zero time for Sony DAPs or A&K DAPs, but, even so, when it comes to Tidal functionality (or lack, thereof), I'm inclined to point the finger of blame mostly at Tidal themselves.

Designing, engineering, testing, and manufacturing a new DAP is challenging enough, even for large teams of talented engineers, without them having to put up with jumping through arbitrary hoops Tidal may have caused, for their own nefarious reasons.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #12,842 of 40,613
That really sucks. If I had known that upfront I would never have gotten it. I would have gotten the Sony model. How can a company as big as AK and who charges what they do, give us Tidal that won't work? That's kind of crap if you ask me. That should be a software fix I would assume. Time to trash them on the net, lol. I have at least 10 2 channel friends asking me about this one as well as teh 1000. They must have Tidal (as I wanted to) and that's why the Sony was a non starter. Wish I was on this board before making the decision to get one. It sounds awesome and wiht teh Amp is great, but Tidal is a must for me and now I don't get it. Too bad...

Off soapbox now. Thanks.
Honestly there are not a lot of high end DAPs with streaming, I complain about it a lot. I think the DX200 is my favorite streaming DAP and unlike the A&K you can store songs for offline mode on the DX200

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #12,843 of 40,613
Honestly there are not a lot of high end DAPs with streaming, I complain about it a lot. I think the DX200 is my favorite streaming DAP and unlike the A&K you can store songs for offline mode on the DX200
Probably can also consider the Hiby R6 - https://headfonics.com/2017/12/hiby-music-r6-review/. Tried it during CanJam. Honestly, R6 is more responsive compared to DX200 because of the processor. Soundwise, I feel R6 is on par with DX200 just that DX200 has more upgrade paths with various modular AMP to pair with different IEMs.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #12,844 of 40,613

If you're willing to step into the semi-portable realm, Hugo2 fits in the back pocket of all my jeans and the front pocket of most of them. It sounds exceptional streaming MP3's from bandcamp and even better when streaming FLAC but the Bluetooth connection can be a bit skippy if they are not in close proximity WHEN MOVING. They would be fine in a pocket near pocket situation such as rear and rear pocket.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #12,845 of 40,613
When buying anything it’s always best to do due diligence. Especially something that costs $3k. I made sure before I bought my 3 AK’s that they had minimal to no streaming capabilities. I don’t want or need it so I made sure it was limited on the devices. Personally I’d prefer none, and nearly chose the Sony Z because of its lack of streaming. I’m not sure if LPG has streaming- I’d guess not. When buying a device it only makes sense to fully read up about it and even pm folks who have it to see what they think. AK has always had limited streaming and never had off-line capabilities. There are plenty of devices made for streaming that work flawlessly. AK does not make them

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #12,847 of 40,613
If you're willing to step into the semi-portable realm, Hugo2 fits in the back pocket of all my jeans and the front pocket of most of them. It sounds exceptional streaming MP3's from bandcamp and even better when streaming FLAC but the Bluetooth connection can be a bit skippy if they are not in close proximity WHEN MOVING. They would be fine in a pocket near pocket situation such as rear and rear pocket.

Nah I really don’t like carrying stacks. The Hugo is outstanding though.

@WatCult I didn’t love the HiBi I think all of the DX200 amp cards, other than the stock one, sound better than it.

I think this is a bit off topic, but I love the suggestions!

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #12,848 of 40,613
Off topic, yes, but thanks to all. I did a ton of due diligence, but I am a newbie to this world. I was told that the AK was great with Tidal by a few folks. Live adn learn. Bottom line is that is matches nicely wiht my Phantom and my wife ran it out to the Bravado's and was in shock as as to how much better It was than her iPhone wiht Audioquest Dragonfly Red, lol....

Being in the hospital has given me a fair amount of time with listening. I am cementing my thoughts on the Phantom's. The more I listen, the more I appreciate them. They really do dig deep and the sub bass seems to me, to go deeper with quality than I originally felt it did. It's just so darn balanced, that you don't notice it until it's THERE in the recording. Listen to Tina Gua's cello work and it's amazing. Just listen to the bow on the strings. Listen to her plucks...Just cool sounding. Lush, warm mid band. Just so fun.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #12,849 of 40,613
Off topic, yes, but thanks to all. I did a ton of due diligence, but I am a newbie to this world. I was told that the AK was great with Tidal by a few folks. Live adn learn. Bottom line is that is matches nicely wiht my Phantom and my wife ran it out to the Bravado's and was in shock as as to how much better It was than her iPhone wiht Audioquest Dragonfly Red, lol....

Being in the hospital has given me a fair amount of time with listening. I am cementing my thoughts on the Phantom's. The more I listen, the more I appreciate them. They really do dig deep and the sub bass seems to me, to go deeper with quality than I originally felt it did. It's just so darn balanced, that you don't notice it until it's THERE in the recording. Listen to Tina Gua's cello work and it's amazing. Just listen to the bow on the strings. Listen to her plucks...Just cool sounding. Lush, warm mid band. Just so fun.

I don't use Tidal very often, but I never had any issue while streaming, but I sue tidal only in the office and at home.
It could have something to do with the bandwidth, I'm not sure hospital have a steady bandwidth that can support heavy download, and I wonder how big is the buffer the Ak tidal app is using.

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #12,850 of 40,613
@ctsooner22 Being a professional cellist and knowing Tina personally....I'm not sure i'm entralled by her playing or recordings Lol. I will just say she is unique Lol.

I'm missing my Phantoms. Sent my Phantoms back to EE today because they need to be serviced. Though I've been using them very carefully, about 45 minutes a day, and a random crack developed only on the right earpiece. As much I like the fit and lightness of the EE shells, I am feeling that the compromise is durability. Upon examining, I think the shells are very fragile as its the acrylic seems to be the thinnest I have seen on any C/IEM. I'm not very impressed with the build quality of at least the Universal version if it will be this fragile. I'm not sure if the CIEM version is different. I hope this is just a fluke and EE has some magic mix of acrylic that is strong but very light. Its gonna be probably a week or two before I get them back. Sigh :frowning2: back to lesser offerings for now.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #12,851 of 40,613
so sorry to hear. I have no clue if my CIEM is thicker or not. so far no problem. I pray I don't have any. I love that uniqueness, but I can see where it wouldn't be for a purist. I still LOVE YoYo Ma espcially Kol Neidre. lol...:)

My wife and I saw her with Joe Bonamassa at Carnegie Hall. It was so special and she had fun and lit the place up. Was off the hook with all that she played. Would have loved to meet her, lmao...PM me, I need to know more about you and where you play etc...

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #12,852 of 40,613
@Ethan Groover Much appreciated! Thanks for the unexpected and swift response; great service :)

Based on some further reading, if it would be possible for you to share your impressions about LegendX and Bravado with the Leonidas cable as well, I'd really appreciate that.
Damn that @PinkyPowers ; if the cable is anywhere near as captivating as his writing, it's surely going to be a winner here :D

So I played around with some combos tonight:

Legend X + Thor Silver II
Very clean, liquid, and smooth. Treble is clear and extended, with a touch of added warmth. Bass is bigger and warmer.

Legend X + Leonidas
Super clear. More liquid. Treble sparkles more and extends further, with better air and wider soundstage. Bass is more about attack than warmth.

Legend X + Tri-Copper
Fuller and warmer. Treble is tamed down. Bass is all around bigger and more dynamic. There's a visceral quality I don't hear with the other cables.

It really depends on how you want to tweak Legend. Though I will say in most ways, Leo and Thor II are enough alike, that Leo is indeed an upgrade over Thor. But don't get me wrong, if that's the sort of sound you're after, Thor II is still fantastic and worth buying if you're on a "budget".

Personally, I enjoy LX the most with plusSound's Tri-Copper. Something about that pairing puts a huge grin on my face. Leonidas and tia Fourté does that for me, also.

Remember. It's all about synergy, and what you desire from your IEM. :D

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #12,853 of 40,613
So I played around with some combos tonight:

Legend X + Thor Silver II
Very clean, liquid, and smooth. Treble is clear and extended, with a touch of added warmth. Bass is bigger and warmer.

Legend X + Leonidas
Super clear. More liquid. Treble sparkles more and extends further, with better air and wider soundstage. Bass is more about attack than warmth.

Legend X + Tri-Copper
Fuller and warmer. Treble is tamed down. Bass is all around bigger and more dynamic. There's a visceral quality I don't hear with the other cables.

It really depends on how you want to tweak Legend. Though I will say in most ways, Leo and Thor II are enough alike, that Leo is indeed an upgrade over Thor. But don't get me wrong, if that's the sort of sound you're after, Thor II is still fantastic and worth buying if you're on a "budget".

Personally, I enjoy LX the most with plusSound's Tri-Copper. Something about that pairing puts a huge grin on my face. Leonidas and tia Fourté does that for me, also.

Remember. It's all about synergy, and what you desire from your IEM. :D

Thanks for sharing. This is exactly the kind of analysis/comparison I was looking for :) trying to decide on an upgrade cable for my LX. All three cables seem like they are worth a listen, so I'm not sure that I'm any closer to making a decision!

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #12,854 of 40,613
do other people find the legend x to be pretty fatiguing? I have a hard time wearing it all day

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #12,855 of 40,613
Thanks for sharing. This is exactly the kind of analysis/comparison I was looking for :) trying to decide on an upgrade cable for my LX. All three cables seem like they are worth a listen, so I'm not sure that I'm any closer to making a decision!

Get the tri-copper and don’t look back, srsly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back