Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 15, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #12,826 of 40,579
Great cases all. For on the go, I use a small Tumi murse (man purse). I use a rollator to walk around, so I need something close by to get my wallet, audio stuff etc..., so it's perfect. That said, I think I'll stick to the Pelican that is waterproof and has the carabiner. L, thanks for the links on Amazon. I think I'd rather stay with the one that isn't clear. They had the black on Prime for only 12 or so, but they are out of stock of course. I may just suck it up and do the 20 one you found. I wonder if they have that in blue? LOL>>>>>or even the Red...Ferrari Red, lol. :wink:...Thanks

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #12,827 of 40,579
I am totally crushed this morning... my right side custom Phantom simply broke... Not a nice way to start vacations with my beloved (no music for a week only took them), I can’t believe this happened... it had to be the best fitting ear too (I was wondering a bit about the left and thought about reshell warranty, fiddly seal)

IMG_0001.JPG

Crushed shell just closing the provided Empire carry case, I positioned each side carefully as usual and I didn’t even apply any force or anything I juste heard a heart breaking crack when closing... it’s even stranger that there is no significant pressure mark on the padding material?!? I should have used my other Pelican case :-/

I am OCD with gear nothing ever happened to me :frowning2:

I am a newbie to custom but the shell is quite thin and I thought there was some kind of filling material, isn’t there or am I confused with VE8?with gear I am still in total shock with this... has this ever happened ?

@Ethan Groover Can you guys help me ?
This is either a case defect or as @Mython mentioned, an under-cured shell. I'm very sorry to hear about it though! I have spoken with our lead production manager and we'd be happy to reshell them free of charge. Please PM me for details on how to send it back and how long you should expect to wait for a reshell.

I've been wondering what the LegendX (and Bravado) might sound like with a silver cable like the Effect Audio Thor (or any of its variants)?
Anyone tried something like that?

I read a review of that cable (I think by our very own @PinkyPowers lol) over on The Headphone List which made me drool like a teething toddler :D
I'll have this in my posession on Monday, I'd be happy to let you know what I think of the pairing!

So I just got back from Axpona and listened to a lot of IEMs. Really think the entire EP series are great phones. Slight balance and authority changes between them but if you are looking for something musical and accurate, these are a great place to start. Ethan has more than a clue and knows sound. Real pleasure to talk and listen there. Amazing how much ground you can cover in a few minutes when you're on the same page.
We met in person?! Thanks for the compliment but now I'm scratching my head trying to connect a face to a username haha

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #12,828 of 40,579
This is either a case defect or as @Mython mentioned, an under-cured shell. I'm very sorry to hear about it though! I have spoken with our lead production manager and we'd be happy to reshell them free of charge. Please PM me for details on how to send it back and how long you should expect to wait for a reshell.

I'll have this in my posession on Monday, I'd be happy to let you know what I think of the pairing!

We met in person?! Thanks for the compliment but now I'm scratching my head trying to connect a face to a username haha
Great that EE is taking care of this but it really may not be a defect. Think of how often pins get bent etc. Lots of times we put a lot of pressure on our IEMs without being aware of it. Stuff happens and it's just nice to have a company understand.

I'm the older guy with Spartans with Grado tips. We talked a bit about cable synergy etc. Was a pleasure to meet you.:beerchug:

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #12,829 of 40,579
My Phantoms are up for sale if anyone wants to snag a pair.

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #12,830 of 40,579

Hey @Ethan Groover that’s sweet news to my ears, you’ve lightened my anguish...
I am on vacations abroad so I’ll be able to send it Monday next week, I’ll PM you to figure out the details.

Wait is not an issue as long as I get them reshelled :)

Great that EE is taking care of this but it really may not be a defect. Think of how often pins get bent etc. Lots of times we put a lot of pressure on our IEMs without being aware of it. Stuff happens and it's just nice to have a company understand.

I don’t know if it’s a defect, but when I say I am OCD it’s really the case, I treat them like a newborn child really :p Some who have purchased universal second hand from me will tell you they’re good as new. I have had IEMs for 15 years and this never happened.

Now it’s true that crap happens, don’t think that was it. Classy of Empire to handle things so swiftly, makes me confident to purchase again in the future and which is good as I have the Legend X somewhere in my mind (the bass head in me is still there even after selling the Vega, although frankly the Phantom do have great bass already).

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #12,832 of 40,579
Layman1: "I've been wondering what the LegendX and Bravado might sound like with a silver cable like the Effect Audio Thor (or any of its variants)?"

@Ethan Groover Much appreciated! Thanks for the unexpected and swift response; great service :)

Based on some further reading, if it would be possible for you to share your impressions about LegendX and Bravado with the Leonidas cable as well, I'd really appreciate that.
Damn that @PinkyPowers ; if the cable is anywhere near as captivating as his writing, it's surely going to be a winner here :D

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #12,833 of 40,579
Pinky dropping pearls of wisdom.

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #12,834 of 40,579
Been a long time lurker here in this thread and I am finally about to pull the trigger in getting a universal Phantom. :)

I was probably one of the very last customers during Earwerkz days and I must say that the day I got the LegendR a few years back, it definitely changed my views on how good an iem could actually sound. That definitely got me immersed in the music that I listened to!

Unfortunately, similar to @davidmolliere, i actually had my shares of unfortunate event during a vacation period. Just a few months back, I was on vacation in Japan and around the middle of my travel there, I somehow lost my LegendR. I might have dropped it somewhere as I accidentally left a part of my bag opened while transferring trains and all. I was devastated and was trying my best to cheer myself up at that time as my vacation there was not yet over. It was definitely a struggle :p

Fastforward to now, I think I'm about ready to get back to the hobby... and what better way to start it up with a Phantom :)

Trying to reach out to Ethan and Jack now to arrange this comeback. :)

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #12,835 of 40,579
@Ethan Groover Much appreciated! Thanks for the unexpected and swift response; great service :)

Based on some further reading, if it would be possible for you to share your impressions about LegendX and Bravado with the Leonidas cable as well, I'd really appreciate that.
Damn that @PinkyPowers ; if the cable is anywhere near as captivating as his writing, it's surely going to be a winner here :D

Yep. That's another pairing I haven't done yet. :cold_sweat:

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #12,837 of 40,579
What I find fun is that folks will use a cable that is twice the price of the IEM, lol. I assume many of you already have the expensive cable. I do wish I had the Janus D with me these weeks I'm in the hospital. Getting plenty of listening time, but can't get Tidal to work properly on my AK380cu. Does anyone else have that problem? I am using the hospital wifi (it works on the iPhone) as well as my iPhone as the internet hotspot.

Apr 17, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #12,838 of 40,579
What I find fun is that folks will use a cable that is twice the price of the IEM, lol. I assume many of you already have the expensive cable. I do wish I had the Janus D with me these weeks I'm in the hospital. Getting plenty of listening time, but can't get Tidal to work properly on my AK380cu. Does anyone else have that problem? I am using the hospital wifi (it works on the iPhone) as well as my iPhone as the internet hotspot.

Hi Pete, unfortunately it's quite a common problem with tidal and most of the AK models.

Apr 17, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #12,839 of 40,579
That really sucks. If I had known that upfront I would never have gotten it. I would have gotten the Sony model. How can a company as big as AK and who charges what they do, give us Tidal that won't work? That's kind of crap if you ask me. That should be a software fix I would assume. Time to trash them on the net, lol. I have at least 10 2 channel friends asking me about this one as well as teh 1000. They must have Tidal (as I wanted to) and that's why the Sony was a non starter. Wish I was on this board before making the decision to get one. It sounds awesome and wiht teh Amp is great, but Tidal is a must for me and now I don't get it. Too bad...

Off soapbox now. Thanks.

Apr 17, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #12,840 of 40,579
That really sucks. If I had known that upfront I would never have gotten it. I would have gotten the Sony model. How can a company as big as AK and who charges what they do, give us Tidal that won't work? That's kind of crap if you ask me. That should be a software fix I would assume. Time to trash them on the net, lol. I have at least 10 2 channel friends asking me about this one as well as teh 1000. They must have Tidal (as I wanted to) and that's why the Sony was a non starter. Wish I was on this board before making the decision to get one. It sounds awesome and wiht teh Amp is great, but Tidal is a must for me and now I don't get it. Too bad...

Off soapbox now. Thanks.

Well, the new Sony DAPs don't offer Tidal at all... so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back