Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 31, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #12,241 of 40,684
I have always had to very difficult time finding tips. When I got to use the Finals, my search was over. Spin fits have been pretty good for me also, but I like the sound of the Finals better as I think I’m able to get a better seal in my right ear

Mar 31, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #12,242 of 40,684
LX 05.jpg

There was a nice break in the weather the past two days, and I slipped in some delightful Legend X time on the back porch.

They've gone through significant burn-in, and the bass has tamed. Everything sounds closer to neutral now. And yet, those dual dynamics are still the showstopper of the piece. While mere quantity has subsided a bit, their technicality is off the charts. Also, they still slam like a ball peen hammer. :D

I'm noticing, the more I listen, just how eloquent Legend X is. Separation and layering are handled with extreme deftness, and dynamism reigns unbridled.

These will give any flagship a run for its money.

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #12,243 of 40,684
i was very impressed by the bravado, and for its bass quantity is almost at upper limit of my personal preference. If that is the case, would Vantage and Nemesis be too bass heavy for me?

how big is the difference between vantage and nemesis?

sonically, my personal preferences are along the lines of VE8 but with better defined subbass or a Bravado with a more layered presentation.

thanks!

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #12,244 of 40,684
i was very impressed by the bravado, and for its bass quantity is almost at upper limit of my personal preference. If that is the case, would Vantage and Nemesis be too bass heavy for me?

how big is the difference between vantage and nemesis?

sonically, my personal preferences are along the lines of VE8 but with better defined subbass or a Bravado with a more layered presentation.

thanks!

To my ears, yes, the Nemesis and Vantage would be too bass-y for you. The Nemesis is peakier and more articulative than the Vantage, while the Vantage is smoother and warmer - particularly in its vocal range. A VE8 with better defined sub-bass sounds like the new VE Erlkonig to me. Alternatively, for a Bravado with better layering, you may wanna check out the Lime Ears Model X.

Apr 1, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #12,245 of 40,684
7 months in and i love my Zeus XR more and more every day - it is really fantastic with WM1A and the versatility of having 2 TOTL ciems in one shell , it's fantastic value for money , imho

only problem now, i am starting to get really curious of how much better it would sound/scale with something like a Hugo 2

anyone using XR with Hugo 2 here ?

oh , and i find the XR bass more than adequate - in fact i sometimes turn the bass a notch down on my wm1a

great job EE :ok_hand:

Apr 1, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #12,246 of 40,684
To my ears, yes, the Nemesis and Vantage would be too bass-y for you. The Nemesis is peakier and more articulative than the Vantage, while the Vantage is smoother and warmer - particularly in its vocal range. A VE8 with better defined sub-bass sounds like the new VE Erlkonig to me. Alternatively, for a Bravado with better layering, you may wanna check out the Lime Ears Model X.

that's very helpful thanks

Model X - the reviews of it makes it tempting (akin to a more natural, richer sounding andromeda). Hopefully the would make custom universal versions of them.

At 4k+ EU, Erlkonig is way out of my budget unfortunately! I am looking at Nemesis as my upper limit cost wise.

Apr 1, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #12,247 of 40,684

Put a track with a lot of bass on and it's THERE. Put on a track with not much bass and it's not. Just like the artist intended.
I always have to smile when reading about the artist‘s intend. Would there be no engineer and producer to „tame“ the bass, I am sure many many records would have a lot more bass on the tracks. In most cases the artists themselves don’t really care about an audiophile approach when mixing their records. They just want more - i.e. louder - guitars, bass, bass drum, etc. In fact, everything simply has to be louder :)
So let’s praise the engineers who - more often then not - know what has to be piano and what has to be forte (and when).

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #12,248 of 40,684
that's very helpful thanks

Model X - the reviews of it makes it tempting (akin to a more natural, richer sounding andromeda). Hopefully the would make custom universal versions of them.

At 4k+ EU, Erlkonig is way out of my budget unfortunately! I am looking at Nemesis as my upper limit cost wise.

I'll post impressions of the Model X on Nic's Ranking the Stars thread soon - along with the rest of my CanJam SG 2018 write-up.

I always have to smile when reading about the artist‘s intend. Would there be no engineer and producer to „tame“ the bass, I am sure many many records would have a lot more bass on the tracks. In most cases the artists themselves don’t really care about an audiophile approach when mixing their records. They just want more - i.e. louder - guitars, bass, bass drum, etc. In fact, everything simply has to be louder :)
So let’s praise the engineers who - more often then not - know what has to be piano and what has to be forte (and when).

Well, you can never underestimate the artist's sensibilities either. As much as I'd love to believe most pop stars these days are simply divas who happen to look pretty and sound good on AutoTune, a large majority of them are more musically-inclined and technically-talented than we give them credit for. A great example would be Charlie Puth. Although most know him for pop tracks such as See You Again or One Call Away, the dude studied jazz piano and classical music at the Manhattan School of Music Pre-College, then graduated from Berklee as a music production and engineering major. Every single track on his forthcoming album (including Attention (and its widely-acclaimed bass line), How Long, the Boyz-II-Men-featured ballad If You Leave Me Now, etc.) were all arranged, recorded and mixed by Puth himself. As it always is, music (and music culture in general) ain't as simple as it looks. :wink:

Apr 1, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #12,249 of 40,684
I'll post impressions of the Model X on Nic's Ranking the Stars thread soon - along with the rest of my CanJam SG 2018 write-up.

Well, you can never underestimate the artist's sensibilities either. As much as I'd love to believe most pop stars these days are simply divas who happen to look pretty and sound good on AutoTune, a large majority of them are more musically-inclined and technically-talented than we give them credit for. A great example would be Charlie Puth. Although most know him for pop tracks such as See You Again or One Call Away, the dude studied jazz piano and classical music at the Manhattan School of Music Pre-College, then graduated from Berklee as a music production and engineering major. Every single track on his forthcoming album (including Attention (and its widely-acclaimed bass line), How Long, the Boyz-II-Men-featured ballad If You Leave Me Now, etc.) were all arranged, recorded and mixed by Puth himself. As it always is, music (and music culture in general) ain't as simple as it looks. :wink:
Absolutely true. There a many artists that care about sound. I think they are in the minority though, not because they don’t want to let their records sound good but because of a lack of mixing knowledge.

Apr 1, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #12,250 of 40,684
7 months in and i love my Zeus XR more and more every day - it is really fantastic with WM1A and the versatility of having 2 TOTL ciems in one shell , it's fantastic value for money , imho

only problem now, i am starting to get really curious of how much better it would sound/scale with something like a Hugo 2

oh , and i find the XR bass more than adequate - in fact i sometimes turn the bass a notch down on my wm1a

I also EQ Zeus XR bass to tame it more.

I have mojo/Poly and details are outstanding,

When I tried Hugo 2 I found it to have even more detail but really more dynamic.
However at that price... I don't think it's a worthy buy.

Apr 1, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #12,252 of 40,684
Has anyone compared the soundstage of the Zeus xr vs Andromeda ?

i love my andros, but if you want soundstage, there really is no comparison, i actually found the soundstage of Z XR to be distracting as i am more an "emotional listener" and not a "visual listener" (ie even with 2 ch i am looking for emotional involvement moreso than trying to recreate an environment) Z XR is also hyperdetailed. in terms of technicalities, it is a few steps ahead of the andros, but for me, i respect it more than love it.

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #12,253 of 40,684

A dac as good as the Hugo 2 is going to make any totl iem sound significantly better.

I run phantoms with the Hugo 2 being fed from my Mac or iPhone and the sound quality is as good if not better than the my £12k 2 channel set up, to the point where I’m doing all my listening this way at the moment. The detail and musicality on show is jaw dropping

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #12,254 of 40,684
A dac as good as the Hugo 2 is going to make any totl iem sound significantly better.

I run phantoms with the Hugo 2 being fed from my Mac or iPhone and the sound quality is as good if not better than the my £12k 2 channel set up, to the point where I’m doing all my listening this way at the moment. The detail and musicality on show is jaw dropping

wow , you sold me there i must say

i only listen to my Zeus XR at home , so maybe a home only desctop amp may not be bad at all

upgraditis urges in 3,2,1....

ps : i will be able to hook it up easily with my WM1A, right ?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #12,255 of 40,684
wow , you sold me there i must say

i only listen to my Zeus XR at home , so maybe a home only desctop amp may not be bad at all

upgraditis urges in 3,2,1....

ps : i will be able to hook it up easily with my WM1A, right ?

I don’t think it’s difficult but you would
Need a specific Sony USB adapter which you can the connect using usb-usb micro cable to the Hugo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back