Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 22, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #11,941 of 40,588
Could also be that they couldn’t reliably tune to their target curves with ADEL, overhead of having to support both ADEL and non-ADEL, Weapon IX not playing well with them, etc.

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #11,942 of 40,588
Could also be that they couldn’t reliably tune to their target curves with ADEL, overhead of having to support both ADEL and non-ADEL, Weapon IX not playing well with them, etc.

I talked to Jack at the event and he said that the tunings of the new IEMs relied on not having ADEL; the hybrids especially - due to their bass-inclined signatures.

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #11,943 of 40,588

That, and the fact that EE themselves stated that none of the new EE series units were ever tuned with ADEL modules in mind, and this is something I sincerely hope more people will know since some consumers just seem to want to implement everything when it becomes a bit of a trend with the whole "Save your hearing with XXX modules!" which isn't always effective to some listeners.

Different humans, different ears. Not everyone will yield the same desired "save hearing" results. And they even have to consider listeners' usual listening volumes to even see if that has any effect, which isn't gonna be accurate due to too many people listening to different decibel levels with their sources.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #11,944 of 40,588
I thought mentioning Music Sanctuary would automatically rule out Effect Audio. :D MS and EA parted ways months ago; it’s not them. But, I will be trying the Janus twins either today or tomorrow, so you’ll have that to look forward too. :)
Ooh, didn’t know that. Definitely looking forward to Phantom x Janus impressions, though I am cleaned out at the moment thanks to the Phantoms.

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #11,945 of 40,588
That, and the fact that EE themselves stated that none of the new EE series units were ever tuned with ADEL modules in mind, and this is something I sincerely hope more people will know since some consumers just seem to want to implement everything when it becomes a bit of a trend with the whole "Save your hearing with XXX modules!" which isn't always effective to some listeners.

Different humans, different ears. Not everyone will yield the same desired "save hearing" results. And they even have to consider listeners' usual listening volumes to even see if that has any effect, which isn't gonna be accurate due to too many people listening to different decibel levels with their sources.
Yeah, the greatest impact on saving your hearing is to reduce your decibels. Get yourself a little decibel meter and try to keep the volume below a steady 85 decibels (as my audiologist confirmed yesterday) and you minimize damage. Doing it with a portabe decibel meter isn't probably the most accurate, but it will give you a good idea of how loud your music is. This is old news, but probably good to remind ourselves! :ksc75smile:

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #11,947 of 40,588
I waited for a month patiently, waiting for a day is harder :) ... the package is barely moving LOL
When they eventually get here, anyone interested in a Legend X vs Vega comparison?

I would have to do it using my Fiio X5 Mark III for now.
I may have to do another one when my Hiby R6 gets here.

Do you even have to ask? :D

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #11,948 of 40,588
Using an adapter to play Pono balanced using an EA balanced cable, not the best solution, but it works OK.
Curious about the Audio Arts cable, have to check it out.
Pono leans to the warm side, wondering if it is a good partner to the Phantom .. I'll find out at some point.

So, I checked out Audio Arts site, they don't even list headphone cables...

Call him adn tell him you are my friend. He will custom make anything you want as far as connections. He works with a few companies, so you can basically do any splitter and connector that you prefer. It's put together by someone who used to fabricate for Audioquest. They are outstanding values in HP cables.

Guys, you are doing to love the new Janus cables with the Phantoms or the X. I posted, as did a few others, about how the cables sounded with them etc... during the NYC CamJam pages in this thread. They are just very special cables adn make them sound so much better in all ways. The one I liked best was the warmer one. It just got out of the way and just sounded more extended on top and bottom. They really gave a bit more soothes to the mids. Just wonderful and yes, more dynamic too.

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #11,951 of 40,588
They're not the Legend X, nor the Phantom, but my Nemesis will be delivered tomorrow.

Can't wait to hear Empire's take on live sound! Reading the designer's notes on the website has me pretty excited. :ksc75smile:
Prepare to be blown away :)

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #11,953 of 40,588
Don’t scare me... I hope my Phantom reach me without customs issues... what happens if your CIEM is stuck for months and doesn’t fit? You’d be out of the 30 days...
I doubt that would happen with how we send our international packages, but if it were to happen, we would gladly extend your fit warranty!

are all EE employees at a meet or canjam or something as I am trying to get a reply from Jack for so long
PM me.
These were ordered from the old website designer. The shells are turquoise pearl and black chrome. I don't see the turquoise in the new designer, You might have to contact Ethan to get it. It looks every bit as good in real life.
New equivalents would be
Guys, it's nuts. I have found that most 2 channel guys have no idea that these wonderful IEM's or CIEM's exist. NONE. NADA...They know about most of the expensive headphones since they are sold at their high end stores. I also see that this personal audio community has no clue as to what great high end products are out here. Very few have ever heard of an Ayre Codex balanced DAC/AMP...a true balanced design that was designed to a 5k price point. Their profit per unit is the lowest I've ever heard of in the high end. I promise you that Ethan will back me up when I say I know what I'm talking about as I have gotten him in touch with my friend Mike at Ayre about listening and I also have Ethan going to one of the top high end dealers in the US that is about 20 minutes down the street from Empire Ears (HiFi Buys and tell Alan that Pete sent you. He will take great care and NO I have never gotten anything in return, lol). Teh Vega is also a really nice unit that is 'affordable' and very versatile. You all know of Chord from the UK as they push their Mojo and Hugo to this community. I personally like the sound of Ayre better than Chord, but that's me. Chord makes some outstanding gear as we know. Can't go wrong with either and Ayre made the Pono (still the best value in this community, but the company who owned Pono messed up big time). There are so many great companies who make wonderful DAC/amps or just separates that are very affordable, but you guys don't know about them.

It's really too bad for we the customer. This won't be the right forum for this as it's all about the EE IEM's adn new launch. I do take Pm's if folks have questions etc...This takes nothing away from all the great amps and DAC's that you guys own and know about, so please don't take it that way. It's just an observation of mine and a few others I think as I'm not the only 2 channel geek here.
Gonna be visiting Alan this Saturday! Currently still blown away at the capability of my new LS50s. Gotta love this hobby.

Personally, I’d advise against it... Hssssssssssss... :p
Really depends on the amp! Many desktop amps have lower output impedance and better performance with IEMs than a lot of portable players. Take the Raggy for example: output impedance of 0.03 ohms!

I talked to Jack at the event and he said that the tunings of the new IEMs relied on not having ADEL; the hybrids especially - due to their bass-inclined signatures.
This is correct. It is nearly impossible to get the same target response (especially from the hybrids) with the inclusion of an ADEL module.

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #11,955 of 40,588
Hi everyone. I’m kinda curious. If someone could comment on this I would so much appreciate it. Ok,, I own the Apollo v universal. I’m trying to use the spinfits that came with them. How deep would you put these ? Like were these designed to be inserted to the first bend or deep to the second bend inside your ear? And which one would sound closer to the custom version?? Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back