Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 26, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #11,326 of 40,587
Based on my experience with the 2-wire 1960s, I doubt it’ll pair well with the Phantom. Unless you want a warmer, richer and weightier sound, the only 1960s I’d recommend is the more transparent 4-wire variant. For stage expansion and air, even something like Eos would do wonders. All I have to do is wait for mine to confirm. :wink:

Well, I do like some warmth in a sound to be quite honest, so maybe I'll have to do the pairing myself and decide if I like that sound or not lol. That, and perhaps I find the 4-wire a bit too pricey to even consider. XD

The Phantom just seem like such an ideal IEM to my ears of preference.

And the Vantage feels like it's gonna bring the basshead in me to life at anytime.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #11,327 of 40,587
I'd love to own the Vantage for fun now that the Phantom is ordered. lol...

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #11,328 of 40,587
Well, I do like some warmth in a sound to be quite honest, so maybe I'll have to do the pairing myself and decide if I like that sound or not lol. That, and perhaps I find the 4-wire a bit too pricey to even consider. XD

And the Vantage feels like it's gonna bring the basshead in me to life at anytime.
All of the new hybrids have pretty kicka$$ bass. Even the Bravado had me like "WOAH" on some 808 drops.

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #11,329 of 40,587

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love warmth too. What I'm saying is the 2-wire 1960s might take it much too far, further attenuating the upper-treble to its detriment. Plus, if the 4-wire is too pricey to consider, you can always go for another cable. Effect Audio's new palladium-plated offerings look stellar. :D

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #11,330 of 40,587
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love warmth too. What I'm saying is the 2-wire 1960s might take it much too far, further attenuating the upper-treble to its detriment. Plus, if the 4-wire is too pricey to consider, you can always go for another cable. Effect Audio's new palladium-plated offerings look stellar. :D

Well, as tempting as it may be, I very likely won't buy the palladium cable if it's over $500. Price has always been the only factor holding me back from any cable upgrades.

But considering Ares II is already a very good cable, I probably won't feel such a need to upgrade if I ever managed to get one of the new IEMs. lol :D

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #11,331 of 40,587

Happy Birthday tomorrow Ethan!!!!
Thanks guys! One year older but I think most of the people on this thread outrank me in that regard lol

hey guys can anyone comment on how forgiving the legend X is with low quality recordings, I know it's sacrilege but every once in awhile I just like to plug into my iPad and listen to Spotify when I'm on the road:)
I've had a custom Legend X for a couple months now. It is very forgiving of treble harsh recordings but brings out plenty of detail at the same time. I listen to spotify out of my phone as much as I listen to my DAP in balanced, so I'm not judging:slight_smile: Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #11,332 of 40,587
which mid-tier cable (up to 300-400$) would be a good pair for Zeus XR / a definite upgrade over the pw audio no5 (4-braid) ?

thanx for any feedback

ps : Zeus XR sounds great with pwaudio , don't get me wrong (and pwaudio is great for a 150$ cable) but you know the sickness that this place brings to our heads/wallet :beyersmile:

edit : as i was saying to @Kerouac , when i am at home i only listen to Zeus XR , and NT6 has taken a back seat to Zeus completely so maybe i should sell it ? and out of the blue it dawned to me that maybe i could sell my NT6 and my whiplash twag v3 cable and then top up the remaining/missing 400-500 euros for a brand new Phantom on Black Friday 2018 sale

oh shi.t , this seems like a very possible scenario now.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #11,334 of 40,587
Curious about what kinds of terminations people own. Do you have balanced 4.4 or 2.5? Or just use 3.5 and call it a day? If anyone has knowledge specific to the Phantom, that would be appreciated.

Feb 26, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #11,336 of 40,587
Hello everyone, I've been enjoying lurking this thread for a little while but I got a chance to hear some of the new line recently and I figured I'd pitch in.
I AB tested the new Bravado (universal) against my custom Spartans this past weekend. I've had Spartans since September, use them on the daily. Some observations:

Spartan IV:
Treble: Comfortably adequate, only harsh with a bad mastering job.
Mids: Satisfying through the midrange, not overbearing or harsh. Neutral.
Bass: Always sufficient, always far from overpowering. A bit more punch would be welcome.​
Bravado:
Treble: Comparable to that of the Spartan - lovely.
Mids: Just a bit more forward than the Spartan. Conveys emotion very well.
Bass: Deep, steady bass. Extremely satisfying and tight.​

If the Spartans were CS Lewis, the Bravado would be F. Scott Fitzgerald. Still love my Spartans, but between the two I'd prefer the Bravado.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #11,337 of 40,587
Thanks guys! One year older but I think most of the people on this thread outrank me in that regard lol

I've had a custom Legend X for a couple months now. It is very forgiving of mid-treble harsh recordings and many badly mastered recordings, though it doesn't take nicely to tracks with harsh upper mids. I listen to spotify out of my phone as much as I listen to my DAP in balanced, so I'm not judging:slight_smile: Hope that helps!
I fully agree with Ethan. The Legend X tends to be harsh in the upper mids region and might cause aggression in the sound. On the other hand, I feel the Phantom is rather veiled and lacks in treble extension notably for a flagship iem. My pick of the lineup would be the Vantage as it boasts good extension and brings with it great musicality.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #11,338 of 40,587
Good morning from Bangkok! I've been getting a ton of emails about pricing, specifically UIEMs, so I'll go ahead and post the MSRPs prior to the new website going live. Currently all UIEMs will be caviar black with the double EE logo and will be less expensive than their CIEM variant with the exception of Phantom, Nemesis, and Legend X. All of our IEMs are still handcrafted in our laboratory in Georgia, USA and each model includes a Effect Audio Ares II cable with your choice of termination (2.5, 3.5 or 4.4) at no additional charge.

EP Series
CIEM UIEM

EVR $799 $599
ESR $999 $799
Phantom $1799 $1799

X Series
CIEM UIEM
Bravado $699 $499
Vantage $1399 $1199
Nemesis $1599 $1599
Legend X $2299 $2299​

It's been a heck of a 2018 for us but the best part is that we're just getting started. Hope everyone's as stoked as we are to officially launch the EP & X series! BTW we'll be attending every CanJam so we look forward to seeing all the new and familiar faces.

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #11,339 of 40,587
BTW we're ecstatic to announce our official partnership with Final Audio for tips. Every UIEM will include 5 pairs of FA Type E tips (SS, S, M, L, LL). We're expecting our first batch to arrive just in time for our new website.

E3000-5.jpg

^Photo by Dave at HeadFonia.com

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #11,340 of 40,587
BTW we're ecstatic to announce our official partnership with Final Audio for tips. Every UIEM will include 5 pairs of FA Type E tips (SS, S, M, L, LL). We're expecting our first batch to arrive just in time for our new website.

E3000-5.jpg

^Photo by Dave at HeadFonia.com

I am amazed that this is happening. Final Audio has some amazing tips and its no doubt gonna be great for the new line up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back