Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 7, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #8,101 of 40,591
I swear I had narrowed it down to three options a couple of weeks ago and I now appear to be looking at six! :p

What's worse is that I will probably have to wait for another year or so before I can seriously consider buying because we are looking to move away from the UK next year. So there will be lots more opportunities for you to make it more and more difficult for me to narrow it down to only a few. :D

Move to Singapore while you're at it man. Being in Indonesia deprived of any gear to audition has been killing me :D

Aug 7, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #8,102 of 40,591
Move to Singapore while you're at it man. Being in Indonesia deprived of any gear to audition has been killing me :D
That is why I want to demo various options while I am still in London. If there is any chance, we will move to the back of beyond with all the downsides audio-wise that come with it. Or as my wife would call it "a chance to put a stop to all that nonsense". :p

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #8,104 of 40,591
I was using U12 before, I am now considering to get a CM, which model of EE would be recommended?
I am thinking about Athena adel / Zeus R adel( as I have the MAM)

are there any more details about the Savage line?

Hey man, I just saw your edited post. So far, the Savage lineup prototypes are usually demo-able at shows like CanJam where Empire themselves (not their representatives or dealers) are present. You must ask for it from them directly though. The Savage 6 is the only model available for purchase but it's only available through e-earphone in Japan.

I can relate to this so much

Jaben or nothing, man... :frowning2:

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #8,105 of 40,591
I swear I had narrowed it down to three options a couple of weeks ago and I now appear to be looking at six! :p

What's worse is that I will probably have to wait for another year or so before I can seriously consider buying because we are looking to move away from the UK next year. So there will be lots more opportunities for you to make it more and more difficult for me to narrow it down to only a few. :D

See that's how I avoid buying anything in the first place. Get interested in something, do the research and narrow it down to two or three items and then get paralysed into not making a final decision and so avoid buying anything. It's the perfect (nearly) solution to the age old headfi greeting of "welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet"!

Aug 9, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #8,107 of 40,591
See that's how I avoid buying anything in the first place. Get interested in something, do the research and narrow it down to two or three items and then get paralysed into not making a final decision and so avoid buying anything. It's the perfect (nearly) solution to the age old headfi greeting of "welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet"!
Ah well, I have a bit of a problem there and it's called "medically diagnosed poor impulse control". :D So I have to use another means of restraint, which is called a "wife". :p Mine happens to be very sensible and that makes for a perfect balance, avoiding the otherwise inevitable collection of TOTL IEMs and DAPs.

Aug 9, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #8,108 of 40,591
Just had confirmation my Athena CIEM should be here on Monday - pretty much 3 weeks from placing order to posting. Pretty good turnaround - very excited to get these in, so I can stop using my Zeus-XR on the commute in and out of work!

On an unrelated note, heard the Savage 5 and Savage 9 (?) at Canjam London. Nice thick sound, but definitely tuned more for stage musicians with some serious bass presence. Think you can order them direct if you request them, but they are normally reserved for musicians due to the tuning. Reminded me of the old Aurisonics range (back in the ASG days), but I only surgery a free minute with them so take that with the usual ton of salt...

Aug 9, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #8,109 of 40,591
Just had confirmation my Athena CIEM should be here on Monday - pretty much 3 weeks from placing order to posting. Pretty good turnaround - very excited to get these in, so I can stop using my Zeus-XR on the commute in and out of work!

On an unrelated note, heard the Savage 5 and Savage 9 (?) at Canjam London. Nice thick sound, but definitely tuned more for stage musicians with some serious bass presence. Think you can order them direct if you request them, but they are normally reserved for musicians due to the tuning. Reminded me of the old Aurisonics range (back in the ASG days), but I only surgery a free minute with them so take that with the usual ton of salt...

Nice! The only experience I had with a Savage IEM was with the Savage 9 ADEL. It took away much of the low end, and it ended up being rather unmemorable. But, then again, adding ADEL to a Savage IEM is like making cup noodles without MSG; there's not much point in doing either :D

Aug 9, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #8,110 of 40,591
Nice! The only experience I had with a Savage IEM was with the Savage 9 ADEL. It took away much of the low end, and it ended up being rather unmemorable. But, then again, adding ADEL to a Savage IEM is like making cup noodles without MSG; there's not much point in doing either :D

Like you say, sounds like an unusual combo, as the 9s were definitely " bass capable" to my ears. Maybe it comes in handy at the sort of volume stage musicians need to crank their gear up to in certain scenarios? Was a nice sounding monitor anyway - when I left the stand, someone else was there with the Savage 9s in grinning like a madman at the bass.

For any people looking for more lower end in the EE top tier, I think the new prototype model Jack and Dean are working on will turn a few heads too...

Aug 9, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #8,111 of 40,591
I haven't heard the Savage 9 ADEL but wouldn't taking away some low end from a Savage IEM make it an all rounder?

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #8,112 of 40,591
Like you say, sounds like an unusual combo, as the 9s were definitely " bass capable" to my ears. Maybe it comes in handy at the sort of volume stage musicians need to crank their gear up to in certain scenarios? Was a nice sounding monitor anyway - when I left the stand, someone else was there with the Savage 9s in grinning like a madman at the bass.

For any people looking for more lower end in the EE top tier, I think the new prototype model Jack and Dean are working on will turn a few heads too...

Agreed. I hope they don't mess around with it too much because they have an absolute banger on their hands.

I haven't heard the Savage 9 ADEL but wouldn't taking away some low end from a Savage IEM make it an all rounder?

Not entirely. The Savage 9's midrange and treble sound like they would be awesome accompanied by warmth from a hefty and lively low end. However, with ADEL, the signature ended up becoming rather unengaging.

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #8,115 of 40,591

was this a rush order ? this is very fast indeed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back