Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 15, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #1,246 of 40,629
Apollo has a more 'classic' wide soundstage, being noticeably wider than tall, while also quite deep; Apollo has a more airier sound compared to Zeus.

Zeus' soundstage is narrower in width, but taller and deeper with more precise imaging and layering. 

Thanks for explaining this more eloquently than I did. I'm coming to the conclusion that this wider soundstage isn't what I'm after. I'd prefer a smaller soundstage with precise imaging and good separation. Zeus did that very nicely. However, I'm sure some will prefer the approach EE took with Apollo. It's good to have choices!
:beerchug:

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #1,251 of 40,629
Folks it looks like we won't be personally be attending Singapore CanJam but our wonderful partners at Music Sanctuary will be representing us and they'll have the entire Olympus Series available to audition! @Kozato

That's awesome! Sucks you all can't attend (course I can't either haha)but the Singaporeans are certainly going to delve into a new world once they experience EE

Feb 17, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #1,252 of 40,629
Hi guys. I just got my first CIEM's and they are re-shelled Omegas done by Jack and EE team. I've heard of EE great turnaround time, but to have them back in 16 days re-shelled from the day I sent my ears impressions (and we are talking Australia) is unheard of. Thanks Jack and the whole EmpireEars team.

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #1,253 of 40,629
Well I consider myself fortunate enough to be blessed with the ability to audition and own some of the best in ears in the marketplace of today and the past few years with the only limiting factor being my ability to hide purchases from significant others and my own beliefs regarding diminishing returns. As of right now I hate the situation in in as I have come to be the owner of Senor Zeus and Señorita Athena and possibly the Apollo as I really ******* dig their soundstage. I'm the oddball who doesn't put a lot of value in the whole "flat is where it's at" mentality that so plagues the community I have grown so fond of. Shy of a selective few reasons I can think of no reason this enhances the music to be the powerful mediator it is. Music is meant to move you wether that's from point a to b, from happy to sad moods, or in my case deadening the pain of seeing someone suffer and being able to do nothing more than make them laugh even if just for a second. I saw someone mention earlier the UMPro 50 as something it has never been known to be and want to try and clarify. The Athena is the closest to the umpro 50. The Zeus soundstage is far more vertical and slightly wider than directly above my forehead than the noticeably immediate soundstage the Umpro offers. The umpro is also not a bright headphone- by anyone's measure. I'd suggest hearing tests, equalizer checks, and equipment if you thought otherwise as it's quite pronounced to be a warmer and even borderline darker headphone. It still is outstanding. I own it, the w60 and many other totl headphones and the first time I heard the empire ears lineup was easily in the top "this is it" moments I've experienced ever since getting into this hobby. The two driver headphone is an absolute mindblowlingly fantastic offering making me want a few to give to those I've been discussing audio related things with at work who still need the Come-to-Jesus talk regarding their belovedly bloated and bassy Beats. The zues leaves me wondering why I've been so hesitant to listen to them even though I bought them relatively recently and they still sit in their case. I'm a huge fan of empire ears from their customer service which needs no introduction, the free Gatorade, and their music minded individuals I've had the pleasure of speaking to regarding many things and I've got no doubt their relatively small operation will grow to be fairly large with their continued pursuit in improving their offerings, understanding their customers needs and wants, and making offerings for both camps- those who identify as audiophiles E____Q or those who prefer to be tapping their toe without even knowing it. I want to write a review but I've been particularly busy with a rather stupid court case.

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #1,254 of 40,629
Well I consider myself fortunate enough to be blessed with the ability to audition and own some of the best in ears in the marketplace of today and the past few years with the only limiting factor being my ability to hide purchases from significant others and my own beliefs regarding diminishing returns. As of right now I hate the situation in in as I have come to be the owner of Senor Zeus and Señorita Athena and possibly the Apollo as I really ******* dig their soundstage. I'm the oddball who doesn't put a lot of value in the whole "flat is where it's at" mentality that so plagues the community I have grown so fond of. Shy of a selective few reasons I can think of no reason this enhances the music to be the powerful mediator it is. Music is meant to move you wether that's from point a to b, from happy to sad moods, or in my case deadening the pain of seeing someone suffer and being able to do nothing more than make them laugh even if just for a second. I saw someone mention earlier the UMPro 50 as something it has never been known to be and want to try and clarify. The Athena is the closest to the umpro 50. The Zeus soundstage is far more vertical and slightly wider than directly above my forehead than the noticeably immediate soundstage the Umpro offers. The umpro is also not a bright headphone- by anyone's measure. I'd suggest hearing tests, equalizer checks, and equipment if you thought otherwise as it's quite pronounced to be a warmer and even borderline darker headphone. It still is outstanding. I own it, the w60 and many other totl headphones and the first time I heard the empire ears lineup was easily in the top "this is it" moments I've experienced ever since getting into this hobby. The two driver headphone is an absolute mindblowlingly fantastic offering making me want a few to give to those I've been discussing audio related things with at work who still need the Come-to-Jesus talk regarding their belovedly bloated and bassy Beats. The zues leaves me wondering why I've been so hesitant to listen to them even though I bought them relatively recently and they still sit in their case. I'm a huge fan of empire ears from their customer service which needs no introduction, the free Gatorade, and their music minded individuals I've had the pleasure of speaking to regarding many things and I've got no doubt their relatively small operation will grow to be fairly large with their continued pursuit in improving their offerings, understanding their customers needs and wants, and making offerings for both camps- those who identify as audiophiles E____Q or those who prefer to be tapping their toe without even knowing it. I want to write a review but I've been particularly busy with a rather stupid court case.

I loved the bass depth, extension and texture of the um pro50, but ultimately found them too dark in the treble and sold them. Is the Athena as dark or does it provide a treble sparkle? Are the lows comparable on the two? I also found the soundstage a bit too closed in on the pro50, is the athena anymore open sounding?

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #1,255 of 40,629
Yes the bass is immensely more satisfying on the athenas than the umpro50's and I'd be willing to bet you'd be awestruck at first listen. It's an entirely different approach to the same sound sig. It's kind of like lowering the highs to have a bass boost or atleast give that perception versus just boosting the bass and leaving everything else the same. Two approaches with similar goals of getting more focus on the low end except the Athena is immensely more satisfying in a way that makes my umpro purchase ...somewhat frustrating

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #1,256 of 40,629
Yes the bass is immensely more satisfying on the athenas than the umpro50's and I'd be willing to bet you'd be awestruck at first listen. It's an entirely different approach to the same sound sig. It's kind of like lowering the highs to have a bass boost or atleast give that perception versus just boosting the bass and leaving everything else the same. Two approaches with similar goals of getting more focus on the low end except the Athena is immensely more satisfying in a way that makes my umpro purchase ...somewhat frustrating

I don't think the treble is rolled off on the pro50s, but it does sound veiled to me. Is the treble more present on the Athena>?

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #1,257 of 40,629
My experience with Westone is on the last generation of models but measurements show Westone is keeping the same general house sound of mid bass boost and a massive scoop out in upper mids and lower treble. This gives it the veiled and warm analog sound Westone is known for. Athena is exponentially more clear and transparent versus the Westone models I've heard (w3, w4, um3x, um2). Athena's bass will be tighter and better textured as well.

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #1,260 of 40,629
My experience with Westone is on the last generation of models but measurements show Westone is keeping the same general house sound of mid bass boost and a massive scoop out in upper mids and lower treble. This gives it the veiled and warm analog sound Westone is known for. Athena is exponentially more clear and transparent versus the Westone models I've heard (w3, w4, um3x, um2). Athena's bass will be tighter and better textured as well.

I had a westone w40 as well. I did not realize how veiled it was to my ears until I recently got a Noble 4 a BAM!! Talk about clarity!! Very similar sound signatures (N4 vs W40), but the nobel just lifted a veil off the W40 sound for me that I did not know was there. I am definitely off the westone train now, though I did find their cables to be silent and comfy compare to the noble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back