Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #12,106 of 40,605
True....but does your wife agree ? :D A 2600k-order means always the same procedure. No fun. So better not talking about price tags. She realizes i have some new in ears ? Fine. Those little black (godlike) thingys haven't cost more than 150 €. She won't dind out the truth. We all have secrets.....

Probably not :wink: Last time I confessed the 1K expense for the Focal Elear (as I could have her try it on) and I hoped she would « get it » as in what value there is to better SQ and... she said « nice » but not worth it it’s a crazy expense... She can listen to music out of her phone speakers, I simply consider it’s too lousy and I’d rather listen to nothing instead of a crappy SQ... to each their own!

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #12,107 of 40,605
Plus as I said there are a few others who will still do it. No one is totally out of luck. If you saw how laborious they process to makes their CIEM's is, you would understand. To reshell for them, was almost the same as making a new set. I took time to take the old shells off so they could recapture the drivers, wires and crossovers. That alone looked difficult. They do everyign under a microscope and it takes a ton of time. The lacquering alone takes very long as they have to pop each microscopic bubble in order to give us a perfect finish. Guys, the printing of teh faceplates or even cutting the veneers or shells takes a long time as they match and everyone is a detail freak.

I'm telling you that the reshelling them takes virtually teh same time as does making a new set. I am sure this is why they and others have stopped doing it. I do wish they would have kept doing it for older models let's say, but the other companies who do it are even less money if I recall. I looked at this when ordering the CIEM's, but hey are so comfy, I won't eve go back.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #12,108 of 40,605
Probably not :wink: Last time I confessed the 1K expense for the Focal Elear (as I could have her try it on) and I hoped she would « get it » as in what value there is to better SQ and... she said « nice » but not worth it it’s a crazy expense... She can listen to music out of her phone speakers, I simply consider it’s too lousy and I’d rather listen to nothing instead of a crappy SQ... to each their own!

lol....my wife prefers 128 k mp3 files with a 30 €-mp3 player. The chance to convince her to use some nice high quality in ears and listen to high res music is a long shot for sure.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #12,109 of 40,605
lol....my wife prefers 128 k mp3 files with a 30 €-mp3 player. The chance to convince her to use some nice high quality in ears and listen to high res music is a long shot for sure.

Well I don’t judge, we all have different interest and sensitivities, me I am sucker for good things... I love beautiful images and photography, before the children I had 10-12k of SLR and top prime lenses and it really made a difference (I would only shoot primes for that reason alone, especially for portraits things « pop » so much more with great lenses and speedy AF in good SLRs allow you to seize the moment much easier...). I have dropped it, luggin 15kg of gear while pushing a stroller on vacations was a no go... I’ll get back to it later. Just saying, taking pics out of their phone could be enough for most people, it’s all a matter of priorities too :)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #12,110 of 40,605
Well I just wanted to chime in with something other than commenting on how good Jack's hair looks, so I received my Legend X last week and have been really enjoying them (and also burning them in at night with roughly 40 hours so far).

The hype is real on these bad boys. The bass, while perfect in quantity for me (elevated) is so insanely detailed and controlled that it makes a lot of other IEMs (I'm looking at you, Vega) seems looser, slower and more sloppy. This isn't always a bad thing as I love the Vega still, but this is a whole new level of refinement that I have not heard before with dynamic drivers. The Dream seems to be as controlled, but doesn't ever reach bass head levels like the Legend X can with the right track. The bass really is the star of the show, but that shouldn't take anything away from the rest and it doesn't.

Lots more listening to do, but for now I'm really, really enjoying these. Usually I listen to IEMs at work and in doing so, get a ton of work done. Opposite with the Legend X. I find myself marveling at their abilities and actually killing my productivity. That's a first!

Photo, paired with my Leo + Thor Silver II:

LX.jpg

-Collin-

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #12,111 of 40,605
I have been a huge fan of EE (and also have bought 2 of their CIEMs so far) but imho this is a huge mistake , if only for those who already bought a TOTL EE ciem without having known about this sudden unannounced change of policy

a mistake rectified says a lot to me about someone , i kindly advise @Jack Vang to reconsider (at least partially) and let EE ciem owners who bought one before the change of policy to be able to have one 3rd person reshell option

true , it will cost Jack and EE some time and money , but in the long run this is the honorable thing to do and will sustain/build an even bigger clientelle/fanbase in the future

if EE also looks in building a big loyal custom base , this is a gesture that definitely points into achieving this goal

we can say 'they did it becauseof this and that' but to me , this cuts points off them if they don't at least show me that it's not about just personal gain

in conclusion , this is all about respecting your previous customers who embraced you and helped you become the company you are today

ps : don't get me wrong , i LOVE my Zeus XR(and saying i am grateful to jack for helping me acquire them is an understatement :right_facing_fist: ) will probably (99%) never sell them but if i go for that other 1% i want to have the option of choice - all these are said lovingly , i am very happy that Jack has climbed to the top , so please Jack do those little things/gestures that help you achieve even highest peaks

cheers

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #12,112 of 40,605
The hype is real on these bad boys. The bass, while perfect in quantity for me (elevated) is so insanely detailed and controlled that it makes a lot of other IEMs (I'm looking at you, Vega) seems looser, slower and more sloppy. This isn't always a bad thing as I love the Vega still, but this is a whole new level of refinement that I have not heard before with dynamic drivers. The Dream seems to be as controlled, but doesn't ever reach bass head levels like the Legend X can with the right track. The bass really is the star of the show, but that shouldn't take anything away from the rest and it doesn't.
-Collin-

Hey, that’s what I wanted a Vega comparison to Legend X (might be next in line candidate CIEM :p), thanks for the feedback :)
One question : how bright is the Legend X? If I trust the chart on the product page, it’s all the way bright and not my cup of tea... everyone logically mentions the bass and it’s great to have a Vega comparison in this respect. But I’d like to get an idea if there is some upper mids / treble harshness...

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #12,113 of 40,605
I don't own a custom from EE, but I will say that unless they change their position on reshelling of previously purchased CIEMs (anything bought before whatever cut off date they chose), I will not buy any of their IEMs in the future. I find that in weighing the decision to purchase a CIEM or IEM from a manufacturer, that resale-ability weights heavily into the purchase.

It is reasonably safe to assume that based on current practices at the time of purchase, the buyer assumes that they'd be able to sell their CIEM to a 2nd owner and have it be reshelled by EE. That factor weighs heavily into the original sale to begin with. If EE disallows reshelling to second owners, many (including myself) would never buy one of their CIEMs in the first place. I honestly think it's a mistake and not consumer focused to just promptly cut this service off. I don't own CIEMs from EE, but feel for those of you who do.
I understand where you are coming from but to me I never intend to sell my CIEM's as they were a decision to produce something for me only. I get business decisions and hope it works out for everyone.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #12,114 of 40,605
Had the chance to spend 3 days with the Phantoms (with Leonidas).....alone, no wife @ home. Just me and the Phantoms.....and the Leonidas. And i fell in unconditional love. So i had to order this beauty (universal) together with the Leonidas. Can't wait..... :)

I have a Leonidas cable which i was about to put up for sale, pm me if you’re interested :)

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #12,115 of 40,605
I have a question maybe someone can help? My source is DX50 and i had set to low gain (there is 3)and there was significant noise floor with E.S.R Today i noticed that the hiss sound reduces when i set to high gain. I thought with IEM it was best to set it to low gain. Now i'm confused. Can someone help me make sense of this?

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #12,116 of 40,605
Echoing sentiments previously expressed here, the Bravado provides a more upfront and engaging listening experience whilst maintaining the air and sparkle of the Spartan. It has a more forwardly-placed midrange for added vocal presence, but careful tuning has prevented that lower-treble from becoming offensive; it ends up sounding smoother than the Spartan. Instruments also sound larger in terms of note size, while the Spartan is rather neutral in this regard. This phenomena is further amplified when we get to the bass. The Bravado's low-end is looming, atmospheric and impactful, yet also finessed and controlled. You'll get the physical punch of a dynamic driver, but its decay is impressively quick. As a result, warmth coming from the mid-bass is minimal, preventing the overall presentation from becoming overtly rich, heavy or overbearing. Overall, the Bravado excels at engagement, fun, linearity and smoothness, and I think you'll appreciate what it has to offer compared to the Spartan-IV.
Thank you Daniel appreciate the deeper dive in your statements. The list is getting short for April 7th.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #12,117 of 40,605
Plus as I said there are a few others who will still do it. No one is totally out of luck. If you saw how laborious they process to makes their CIEM's is, you would understand

Good point, I’d love a little video on the process, I don’t even know how much hours is put into a CIEM... anyone knows?

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #12,118 of 40,605

Sweet. That case looks like it was made by Ferrari :). Was it a custom made one?

Yes sir, custom from Valentinum on Etsy, $45 or so. He makes cases for other DAPs too (like an AK380 one *cough cough*).

I don't own CIEMs from EE, but feel for those of you who do.

I agree with you on the fact that they gave no advance notice. Perhaps as others mentioned, they could include some sort of grace period for prior purchasers, or an as-of date.

On my end though I took the CIEM route and considered it a sunk cost due to the difficulty of selling CIEMs in general.

However, while I appreciate the sentiment, given how the Phantom sounds, the very last thing you should feel for me is sorry :ksc75smile::beerchug:

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #12,120 of 40,605
Hey, that’s what I wanted a Vega comparison to Legend X (might be next in line candidate CIEM :p), thanks for the feedback :)
One question : how bright is the Legend X? If I trust the chart on the product page, it’s all the way bright and not my cup of tea... everyone logically mentions the bass and it’s great to have a Vega comparison in this respect. But I’d like to get an idea if there is some upper mids / treble harshness...

Hi there! Well as @flinkenick can attest, I seem to be at least somewhat of a treble-head so keep that in mind. That said, I would not under any circumstances call the Legend X a bright IEM. In fact, I am seeking to brighten it up just a tad with a few different cables I have at my disposal. Zero harshness for me. The Vega, on the other hand, seems to slip these very sharp "S" sounds in when you least expect it and it can startle me at times. I find the Legend X to be in that "all day listen" category.

Cheers friend,

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back