Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 25, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #12,016 of 40,656
Fun bass line on Sly and the Family Stone's "Hot Fun in the Summertime". Recessed mids just like they always sound on the best 2 channel systems....but a fun song with some GREAT memories (can't share on this board :wink: ).....

sly stone on good weed is magnificent funk , btw

he is anyway good but on good dope , that hazy/dub feeling of his simply ignites

(some good memories here too)

ps : his best stuff is post-1971 , from 'there is a riot going on' onward

before that he was whitey/popey , after riot he really went over the edge

riot / fresh / high on you / small talk , all great fun albums

cheers

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #12,017 of 40,656
Sorry, but more music. Who likes a GREAT female vocal that is recorded well? Allison Krauss and Union Station...."New Favorite". It's in 24/96 and her voice is haunting. The Phantom shows off her sexy cords and the string work is so detailed with zero fatigue. Just a well recorded song. Wow...Love Sunday mornings with wife and dogs in bed. We all do our own thing :). Hope these music posts don't take away from the thread, but all too often folks ask 'what should I listen to'....it's fun sharing.

Also, for those who are concerned with the BA bass, I can now tell you that I'm listening to a 25hz pink noise track that I have and the limitation is the AK380cu and any other DAP on the market. I say that because it plays it, but on my Ayre its PLAYS it. Teh Phantoms scales up BIG time folks.
@Ethan Groover will also atest to this. I have a ton of test notes like this along with left and right channel stuff. These Phantoms are up to the challenge. When I tried some of these tests at the show, none of the DAPS were up to the task and neither were any of the TOTL IEM"s I tried them on.

Daniel and others who have recorded live will fully understand and experienced what I'm saying I think.

THIS is such a testament to these CEIM's. I hope you all get a chance to plug these into a top DAC/AMP as you will be blown away by what you are hearing. I have Noble Savants I've tried this with and ....They aren't in this league by any means. I can't wait to try the Bravado's when they get here and are burned in. BTW, for those who don't believe in burn in, that's cool, but if you leave your IEM's on a loop for over 100 hours and more, they will sound even better for you :wink:....

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #12,018 of 40,656
sly stone on good weed is magnificent funk , btw

he is anyway good but on good dope , that hazy/dub feeling of his simply ignites

(some good memories here too)

ps : his best stuff is post-1971 , from 'there is a riot going on' onward

before that he was whitey/popey , after riot he really went over the edge

riot / fresh / high on you / small talk , all great fun albums

cheers

LMAO....Ok, I was 11 in 71. YES, that was part of the memories I have had with Sly :wink:....Quit before HS though...Got to see them at Fillmore West near Fisherman's Wharf in SF in the 70's. Funny as Billy Grahm didn't sing them to play there in the late 60s and then they moved to NYC and sold out Electric Circus constantly. Then Grahm signed them to play at Fillmore East on the same card as Hendrix. Then there was that surreal time at Woodstock. Very interesting group to say the least.

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #12,019 of 40,656
The ESR for me reminds a lot like Spartan. I couldn't A/B test them, but I think the ESR has more resolution, showing more details. @Ethan Groover could perhaps correct me. It's a flat, neutral-sounding IEM great for referencing. The extension reach for a 3-driver is amazing. Suits its name, studio reference.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #12,020 of 40,656
LMAO....Ok, I was 11 in 71. YES, that was part of the memories I have had with Sly :wink:....Quit before HS though...Got to see them at Fillmore West near Fisherman's Wharf in SF in the 70's. Funny as Billy Grahm didn't sing them to play there in the late 60s and then they moved to NYC and sold out Electric Circus constantly. Then Grahm signed them to play at Fillmore East on the same card as Hendrix. Then there was that surreal time at Woodstock. Very interesting group to say the least.

you sir, are a legend - i wish i could have lived in SF area in the 70s , and seen all this amazing, larger than life artists then

cheers

Mar 25, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #12,021 of 40,656
Hate to say it - no, I don't- but I came of age in the mid-60's just across the GG Bridge in a place where all the bands moved to (or already lived in) and Sly lived in the next house up the road from my girlfriend. Never heard him practicing, though.

Mar 25, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #12,023 of 40,656
hey guys totl in the range would play nicest with lower quality recordings like Spotify? legend x, phantom? Any other recommendations?
I think something more forgiving? I think maybe the a12t would be great or maybe n8t although it's not the top

Mar 25, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #12,024 of 40,656
hey guys totl in the range would play nicest with lower quality recordings like Spotify? legend x, phantom? Any other recommendations?

Apple earbuds?

Joking aside, I don't think make any sense investing in the TOTL and listening to low quality recoding.
Definitely not the Phantom, if you want to stick with EE I would suggest the Bravado.

Mar 25, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #12,026 of 40,656
Apple earbuds?

Joking aside, I don't think make any sense investing in the TOTL and listening to low quality recoding.
Definitely not the Phantom, if you want to stick with EE I would suggest the Bravado.
hahaha yeah I know it's sacrilege, only problem is I'm quadriplegic and need my setup to be as simple as possible since somebody else needs to set it up for me. Good sound is one of the few physical pleasures in my life so I'll invest as much as I need to to get the most enjoyable experience possible even if it's with low quality recordings. i want as good an experience as I can possibly get:)

Mar 25, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #12,027 of 40,656
hahaha yeah I know it's sacrilege, only problem is I'm quadriplegic and need my setup to be as simple as possible since somebody else needs to set it up for me. Good sound is one of the few physical pleasures in my life so I'll invest as much as I need to to get the most enjoyable experience possible even if it's with low quality recordings. i want as good an experience as I can possibly get:)

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #12,028 of 40,656
If you're already going for fairly big bucks in gear, why not do your streaming using TIDAL... Bit more than Spotify, but higher quality files, make the equipment investment more worthwhile

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #12,029 of 40,656

If you want something that's just purely more forgiving between the two, it'll be the Legend X. Like @kubig123 said, much larger differences exist between the two flagships, but the LX certainly takes the cake in forgiveness.

There's absolutely no shame in that. I'm a recording engineer who records and mixes in 24/192, but a large majority of my files are M4A from iTunes. :p I'd need to critically listen to find the differences between them anyway - though, that might change with the Phantom; we'll see - and I don't have the attention span when I'm out and about to be bothered. :D

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #12,030 of 40,656
If you want something that's just purely more forgiving between the two, it'll be the Legend X. Like @kubig123 said, much larger differences exist between the two flagships, but the LX certainly takes the cake in forgiveness.

There's absolutely no shame in that. I'm a recording engineer who records and mixes in 24/192, but a large majority of my files are M4A from iTunes. :p I'd need to critically listen to find the differences between them anyway - though, that might change with the Phantom; we'll see - and I don't have the attention span when I'm out and about to be bothered. :D
ah thank you so much for the feedback that's refreshing to hear, I was wondering how much of a difference it could possibly make!:) I was drawn towards the legend. so if files don't make a huge difference does the player/dac amp make a big difference??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back