Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 21, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #11,896 of 40,614
Sorry to disappoint you, my Vega is the desktop DAC from Auralic heheh.

I have learned something, didn’t know that product...

It wasn't planned that way though...it was that the more I listened to the Phantom, the more I fell in love with the sound to the point where I finally decided to go custom.

Eh eh that’s comforting my choice then :D

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #11,897 of 40,614
Guys, it's nuts. I have found that most 2 channel guys have no idea that these wonderful IEM's or CIEM's exist. NONE. NADA...They know about most of the expensive headphones since they are sold at their high end stores. I also see that this personal audio community has no clue as to what great high end products are out here. Very few have ever heard of an Ayre Codex balanced DAC/AMP...a true balanced design that was designed to a 5k price point. Their profit per unit is the lowest I've ever heard of in the high end. I promise you that Ethan will back me up when I say I know what I'm talking about as I have gotten him in touch with my friend Mike at Ayre about listening and I also have Ethan going to one of the top high end dealers in the US that is about 20 minutes down the street from Empire Ears (HiFi Buys and tell Alan that Pete sent you. He will take great care and NO I have never gotten anything in return, lol). Teh Vega is also a really nice unit that is 'affordable' and very versatile. You all know of Chord from the UK as they push their Mojo and Hugo to this community. I personally like the sound of Ayre better than Chord, but that's me. Chord makes some outstanding gear as we know. Can't go wrong with either and Ayre made the Pono (still the best value in this community, but the company who owned Pono messed up big time). There are so many great companies who make wonderful DAC/amps or just separates that are very affordable, but you guys don't know about them.

It's really too bad for we the customer. This won't be the right forum for this as it's all about the EE IEM's adn new launch. I do take Pm's if folks have questions etc...This takes nothing away from all the great amps and DAC's that you guys own and know about, so please don't take it that way. It's just an observation of mine and a few others I think as I'm not the only 2 channel geek here.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #11,898 of 40,614
Guys, it's nuts. I have found that most 2 channel guys have no idea that these wonderful IEM's or CIEM's exist. NONE. NADA...They know about most of the expensive headphones since they are sold at their high end stores. I also see that this personal audio community has no clue as to what great high end products are out here. Very few have ever heard of an Ayre Codex balanced DAC/AMP...a true balanced design that was designed to a 5k price point. Their profit per unit is the lowest I've ever heard of in the high end. I promise you that Ethan will back me up when I say I know what I'm talking about as I have gotten him in touch with my friend Mike at Ayre about listening and I also have Ethan going to one of the top high end dealers in the US that is about 20 minutes down the street from Empire Ears (HiFi Buys and tell Alan that Pete sent you. He will take great care and NO I have never gotten anything in return, lol). Teh Vega is also a really nice unit that is 'affordable' and very versatile. You all know of Chord from the UK as they push their Mojo and Hugo to this community. I personally like the sound of Ayre better than Chord, but that's me. Chord makes some outstanding gear as we know. Can't go wrong with either and Ayre made the Pono (still the best value in this community, but the company who owned Pono messed up big time). There are so many great companies who make wonderful DAC/amps or just separates that are very affordable, but you guys don't know about them.

It's really too bad for we the customer. This won't be the right forum for this as it's all about the EE IEM's adn new launch. I do take Pm's if folks have questions etc...This takes nothing away from all the great amps and DAC's that you guys own and know about, so please don't take it that way. It's just an observation of mine and a few others I think as I'm not the only 2 channel geek here.

I first heard of the Codex on a Head-Fi TV episode and I managed to audition it at CanJam SG two years ago. I was impressed by its dynamics and smooth neutrality, but I wasn’t experienced enough then to truly discern anything else. Right now, I’m really enjoying my Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon for my desktop set-ups. Excellently energetic sound, decent tonal balance and a ton of headroom. Now, someone bring us back on topic! :D

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #11,899 of 40,614
I first heard of the Codex on a Head-Fi TV episode and I managed to audition it at CanJam SG two years ago. I was impressed by its dynamics and smooth neutrality, but I wasn’t experienced enough then to truly discern anything else. Right now, I’m really enjoying my Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon for my desktop set-ups. Excellently energetic sound, decent tonal balance and a ton of headroom.
If I ever have money to spare I will need to look into a good desktop DAC/Amp, very curious how far it could push the Phantom beyond the performance of a portable DAP. Especially interested in testing a tube amp to see if it might pair well.
You know, just out of interest...
:imp:
Now, someone bring us back on topic! :D
You mean puppy gifs? :p

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #11,900 of 40,614
If I ever have money to spare I will need to look into a good desktop DAC/Amp, very curious how far it could push the Phantom beyond the performance of a portable DAP. Especially interested in testing a tube amp to see if it might pair well.

Personally, I’d advise against it... Hssssssssssss... :p

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #11,901 of 40,614

I use the NFB-28 by Audio-GD. Handles everything beautifully. Drives the most demanding headphones with ease, and is quiet as a mouse with multi-BA IEMs.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #11,902 of 40,614
Personally, I’d advise against it... Hssssssssssss... :p
Yeah, hiss is a big no-no. It will need to be perfectly silent.
I use the NFB-28 by Audio-GD. Handles everything beautifully. Drives the most demanding headphones with ease, and is quiet as a mouse with multi-BA IEMs.
Thanks! Will have a look.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #11,903 of 40,614

The Q&A with Marino on Headfonia is really interesting, here is a guy that created some of the best iems/ciems and he is using a $130 dollar amp to test them.

At the end to judge the sound you don't need the best, most expensive tools but the ones that you are most familiar with. :slight_smile:

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #11,904 of 40,614
The Q&A with Marino on Headfonia is really interesting, here is a guy that created some of the best iems/ciems and he is using a $130 dollar amp to test them.

At the end to judge the sound you don't need the best, most expensive tools but the ones that you are most familiar with

There is also the fact that there is a lot of really good, well-engineered products out there that are relatively inexpensive.
Many people equate $$$ for performance. Not necessarily so (or even often!)...

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #11,905 of 40,614
All these talk about DACs...and at home, I still use this.

Q1.jpg

But I'll be honest, it's leagues better than my PC's sound card and I will listen to music with it everyday, everytime.

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #11,906 of 40,614
Daniel, I've found that with high end audio, like a Phantom let's say, it's the very minor details that can make them so special. You heard the the bones of what the Codex is. If you spent a ton of time with it, you'd start to understand what it is. The only problem if that Pono balanced connection as the with all Ayre gear it's all about the balanced connections. I actually want to know more about the amp you have. I've heard it's a crusher. Are they still in business? Thought someone said they went under for some reason.

Back on topic, YES the Phantom's are SICK good guys. When I hook them up to my Ayre QX5 DAC/AMP, they are crazy good. The give sooooo much more micro and macro detail. Teh soundstage becomes enormous. I'm mean VERY realistic. There is so much more meat to the bones. The fabric of the music takes on a more 3D quality. Teh bass is enormous. I now realize after last nights session that the bass is there in spades and it has a LOT of quantity along with quality. There was a passage of pipe organ that was recorded in a cathedral in Europe somewhere. My body was shaking with each key stroke. It never got fatiguing on top or on the bottom. So often if there is too much bass, your ears get fatigued and you can't heard the details that you love to hear adn gives the emotion of the music.

The Phantom takes everything to a new level that I'm not sure even Dean or Jack realize. I don't know the best DAC/Amp they have used with their IEM's. I have spoken to other manufacturers and they only use a good AK or Sony DAP or a basic desktop one. So many in 2Channel don't even realize how important you amp is within the whole scope of what you hear. It's a huge deal as is the DAC as is the wire. When you deal with a true reference quality IEM like a Phantom or even others that you love, you will realize what they do best, but even better the warts become bigger too :wink:.

So far on the Phantom's I hear the upper mid boost easily on my Ayre, but it's still not even close to being harsh. It just opens up the soundstage a bit I'm thinking. I"m not an engineer like some of you guys are, lol. Hope this answers teh question of using a great feed to a great IEM.

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #11,907 of 40,614
Daniel, I've found that with high end audio, like a Phantom let's say, it's the very minor details that can make them so special. You heard the the bones of what the Codex is. If you spent a ton of time with it, you'd start to understand what it is. The only problem if that Pono balanced connection as the with all Ayre gear it's all about the balanced connections. I actually want to know more about the amp you have. I've heard it's a crusher. Are they still in business? Thought someone said they went under for some reason.

Back on topic, YES the Phantom's are SICK good guys. When I hook them up to my Ayre QX5 DAC/AMP, they are crazy good. The give sooooo much more micro and macro detail. Teh soundstage becomes enormous. I'm mean VERY realistic. There is so much more meat to the bones. The fabric of the music takes on a more 3D quality. Teh bass is enormous. I now realize after last nights session that the bass is there in spades and it has a LOT of quantity along with quality. There was a passage of pipe organ that was recorded in a cathedral in Europe somewhere. My body was shaking with each key stroke. It never got fatiguing on top or on the bottom. So often if there is too much bass, your ears get fatigued and you can't heard the details that you love to hear adn gives the emotion of the music.

The Phantom takes everything to a new level that I'm not sure even Dean or Jack realize. I don't know the best DAC/Amp they have used with their IEM's. I have spoken to other manufacturers and they only use a good AK or Sony DAP or a basic desktop one. So many in 2Channel don't even realize how important you amp is within the whole scope of what you hear. It's a huge deal as is the DAC as is the wire. When you deal with a true reference quality IEM like a Phantom or even others that you love, you will realize what they do best, but even better the warts become bigger too :wink:.

So far on the Phantom's I hear the upper mid boost easily on my Ayre, but it's still not even close to being harsh. It just opens up the soundstage a bit I'm thinking. I"m not an engineer like some of you guys are, lol. Hope this answers teh question of using a great feed to a great IEM.

Yeah, Cavalli Audio unfortunately closed down because Alex Cavalli wanted to spend more time with his family. I’m sure there are quite a few still on the used market though. Also, they’re still very active in terms of warranty and servicing. I sent them my Liquid Carbon after a few consecutive blackouts messed up the balanced circuit and they fixed it within a week or two. Great chaps! :D

I also agree that the Phantom is a really scalable IEM. I auditioned a prototype high-end cable yesterday which will be announced at CanJam SG and the Phantom’s absolutely SANG with them. The soundstage opened up enormously with vast improvements in imaging precision. Although some lower-midrange energy was taken away for better bass definition, tone remained within the realms of natural due to a more linear top-end. I also tried another experimental cable that didn’t do as much technically, but enhanced the Phantom’s warm tonality gorgeously. There really is a variety of directions you can take the Phantom’s to, and I can’t wait to continue exploring those options at CanJam SG. :wink:

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #11,908 of 40,614
I also agree that the Phantom is a really scalable IEM. I auditioned a prototype high-end cable yesterday which will be announced at CanJam SG and the Phantom’s absolutely SANG with them. The soundstage opened up enormously with vast improvements in imaging precision. Although some lower-midrange energy was taken away for better bass definition, tone remained within the realms of natural due to a more linear top-end. I also tried another experimental cable that didn’t do as much technically, but enhanced the Phantom’s warm tonality gorgeously. There really is a variety of directions you can take the Phantom’s to, and I can’t wait to continue exploring those options at CanJam SG. :wink:

I am not one to make assumptions too far, but when you mention "enormous soundstage expansion" I immediately thought of this cable reviewed by Linus in Headfonia.

labkable-titan-au-1.jpg

The Labkable Titan AU.

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #11,909 of 40,614
Great feedback keep them coming, so excited... my imprints have been pre-checked OK, and the rush order option is 5 days not 10 so I am SUPER happy and eager :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back